Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry and Overwrite on USB Stick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not too long ago, an update rolled out that said the car would now overwrite older sentry clips if the memory stick (or drive) filled up. As of a few weeks ago (2 or 3 updates ago), this seems like it stopped working. I have 2 Cruzer 32GB USB 2 memory sticks. Over the last few weeks, each of them has stopped working with Sentry... because they filled up. Reformatting (or simply deleting data) cures this. Today I had 1 Sentry event recorded, but could not view the clip in the car. I had to swap out USB sticks before Sentry came back.

Has anyone else noticed that Sentry no longer (if it ever did...) seems to be overwriting old clips?

Not too long ago, an update rolled out that said the car would now overwrite older sentry clips if the memory stick (or drive) filled up. As of a few weeks ago (2 or 3 updates ago), this seems like it stopped working

All this time since my Tesla got that particular update you mention regarding Sentry Mode deleting old videos, I was under the impression that only the Dashcam videos were the ones that got overriden by the system. My logic was that you always want to keep your Sentry videos but you don't need all your Dashcam footage...

But after I read you post, I turned to the Owners Manual and it states that Sentry videos are also overriden. Apparently, only the "Saved" videos folder remains intact.

So my guess is, maybe you have "Save on Honk" enabled or something is clogging your Saved videos folder.

Or as you suspect, for some reason recent firmwares have a bug erasing older Sentry footage.

Here's what the Owners Manual states:

Screenshot_20201029-130434.png