Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Keeper- free Windows software to manage your Sentry videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, I want to say "Thank you!" very sincerely @astrowunder. I truly appreciate your efforts and your willingness to share what you've built with the community. I genuinely do not want detract from what you've created, I've just noticed that in the last 2 months a number of "TeslaCam" apps have started popping up. In fact I've seen and used 3 different ones myself.

I checked out your site and your app looks cool. At the same time, I did want to mention a similar app that I did not create but I have volunteered some time and code to. The app is open source, it has a flexible and powerful video browsing interface, and runs hardware accelerated.

BrowseMenu1.PNG

PlayMenu1.PNG

The source and download can be found here:
mattw01/TeslaCamViewer

The primary discussion thread for the project can be found here.

Again, I genuinely do not want to detract from your project. I've released a number of free apps myself and it was always disheartening when someone else mentioned something similar to what I'd been working on but I didn't know about it. I really do want to thank you again for taking the time to build what you've built and for giving it away to the community for free. If you have a passion for your project and want to continue developing it, by all means, please do! If you would also like to contribute to an open source project attempting to do something similar, your contributions would absolutely be welcome there too.

Best of luck in your project or wherever your code takes you next!

For folks who are archiving, can you describe what you're doing? Do you copy all the contents of the USB stick to your archive folder or do you pick and choose which clips to save? I can probably add a feature to auto archive if there's a consensus on what is involved.

Depends how much time I have. I usually try to go through the folders and the vids individually if I have time, then discard what I don't need and save the rest onto a back-up drive. Otherwise, archive all to review later. Your tool now allows me to cut the review time, whereby I can see all 3 clips at the same time and decide what to do faster than the manual process.
If you're considering more features, this is what my flow 'misses' from your tool:
1-Specify archive location (i.e. in preferences window)
2-Flag clips for archiving (copying to what is specified in 1-)
3-Archive flagged clips
4-Option to delete after archiving (i.e. a toggle in preferences window)

Hope this helps and if I have more suggestions I add as I get familiar with your tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: astrowunder
I did want to mention a similar app that I did not create but I have volunteered some time and code to. The app is open source, it has a flexible and powerful video browsing interface, and runs hardware accelerated.

I did come across that app before I started working on mine, actually. It was missing some features I personally wanted which is why I decided to 'roll my own'. That one is multi-platform right? That will be great for Mac and Linux folks.

That one is multi-platform right?

No, the multi-platform one is TeslaCam Browser which is hosted on GitHub here. It's a nice little project that is cross-platform, but it is Electron (HTML / JavaScript based) wrapped into an exe.

The project I linked to above (which I have contributed to) is TeslaCam Viewer. That project is Windows only but it's written in WPF. It's hardware accelerated with a very modern media playback engine (not based on Windows Media Player).

I'm not sure if you were originally looking at TeslaCam Browser or Viewer, but if there are features you feel are missing the author is very open to requests and pull requests. I'm quite sure he'd be open to collaboration. If you're interested of course.

Again, I know owning your own thing is quite different than contributing to something else. And if you want to keep doing your own thing, by all means. I'm just mentioning another option to contribute to.

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7
For folks who are archiving, can you describe what you're doing? Do you copy all the contents of the USB stick to your archive folder or do you pick and choose which clips to save? I can probably add a feature to auto archive if there's a consensus on what is involved.

Astrowunder,

Thnak you for posting the file. I believe archiving is broken into following groups.

1) The Hoarder: Saves all data (100%) to a computer or external hard drive. User assumes all date may be useful but not apparent right away. User may not have time to sort though the videos and can appreciate auto-transfer and sort features. Access to archive location(s) by the software would be nice.

2) The Selector: Saves only the relevant videos (10-20%) to a computer or external hard drive. User is willing to take time to purge non-relevant videos, save and sort the meaningful ones. User will appreciate ability to delete/save batches since they will archive 20%.

3) The Purger: A user that want to remove all the data, but may want to check if there is a key clip or two to save. They will archive accordingly say 1% of videos.

Again, I know owning your own thing is quite different than contributing to something else. And if you want to keep doing your own thing, by all means. I'm just mentioning another option to contribute to.

Thanks!

Thanks for your understanding- I don't think the community will mind a little friendly coding competition :) Good luck on your version as well.

I am a little vary to download just an exe and run it - are you thinking of open sourcing the code, that perhaps some of us might want to pull and build locally?

Not at this time. My company has been developing and distributing software for more than 30 years if that makes you feel any better. Also, the executable is digitally signed so you can be sure it's from us and not a 13 year old hacker in a moldy basement...

• Funny
Reactions: Pemple
Not at this time. My company has been developing and distributing software for more than 30 years if that makes you feel any better. Also, the executable is digitally signed so you can be sure it's from us and not a 13 year old hacker in a moldy basement...

Thanks, I understand that - being a geek I get it and also get the other side when one is trying to do something passionate and help the community, then some random dude online (that is me), starts complaining. :) I would love to check it out but honestly too keen to run this and rather look at the code and then build it. Good luck with it; I might check it out in a sandbox when I can carve out time to set one up.