Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Keeper- free Windows software to manage your Sentry videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not at this time. My company has been developing and distributing software for more than 30 years if that makes you feel any better. Also, the executable is digitally signed so you can be sure it's from us and not a 13 year old hacker in a moldy basement...

Thanks astrowunder for making the software it seems very nice. While I am not a security professional by any means, I do enjoy my privacy - so I was running your app first through several virus scanners, then within a sandbox, and noticed that my firewall software indicated that the program was attempting to "phone home" to IP Address: 184.60.19.85 which is registered to TDS Telecom in Verona Wisconsin (and it would appear you are located in Wisconsin) - I am assuming this check is for you to get an idea of how many people are using it or not.
I did not break out Wireshark to look for DNS queries or to allow it to connect to see what it was doing - so I thought that I would ask.

Thanks for making a nice looking app.

That's bizarre- what version of windows are you running? Make sure you have Windows Media Player installed.

Windows 7....The videos do not play in WMP, but they play fine in VLC.

Edited to add: I see the other comments. I will look into codecs, I haven't had to install anything recently as every other type of video plays, but I 99% of the time use VLC for that reason.

When you click on it, immediately click on the new window that pops up "Tesla Dashcam" and check the messages- let me know what messages you see- more information will help me figure out what is happening.

While Creating merged video this is what happens

9:14:41 AM: Loading clips
9:14:40 AM: Pausing videos
9:14:40 AM: Warning: temp folder already exists

I am not sure if this is helpful. So when I click on Merge video

Step One

upload_2019-5-11_9-16-22.png

Then I click ok and the 2nd Step

upload_2019-5-11_9-17-1.png

Then on the third step

upload_2019-5-11_9-17-53.png

When I click yes

No sign of file and windows media player opens up

upload_2019-5-11_9-18-47.png

Hope this is helpful This is on Windows 10 Pro

Thanks astrowunder for making the software it seems very nice. While I am not a security professional by any means, I do enjoy my privacy - so I was running your app first through several virus scanners, then within a sandbox, and noticed that my firewall software indicated that the program was attempting to "phone home" to IP Address: 184.60.19.85 which is registered to TDS Telecom in Verona Wisconsin (and it would appear you are located in Wisconsin) - I am assuming this check is for you to get an idea of how many people are using it or not.
I did not break out Wireshark to look for DNS queries or to allow it to connect to see what it was doing - so I thought that I would ask.

I hope we get an answer here, soon. I was about to grab this but I guess I'll put it into a VM that I can block from having internet access for awhile.

Is it an update-checker running? I guess I can wireshark it, but it would be nice to get a privacy statement from the dev.

Thanks!
H

I hope we get an answer here, soon. I was about to grab this but I guess I'll put it into a VM that I can block from having internet access for awhile.

Is it an update-checker running? I guess I can wireshark it, but it would be nice to get a privacy statement from the dev.

Thanks!
H
Weelll, I should have checked the website first! I wish I could edit my post to remove the request... I found this on the app's homepage:

"The program will check to see if a new version is available every time it starts. If it finds a new version it will display the New Version Available message. Click on this to close the program and take you to this page where you can download the latest version."

So, I would guess that the phone-home is, in fact, an update checker.

Hi yes, that's my business server- allprosoftware.com. You can ping that to double check if you want. Every time it starts it checks to see if a new version is ready- that's all it does right now. Some day I may add something to see how many people are using it but I promise not to spy on anyone :)

While Creating merged video this is what happens

9:14:41 AM: Loading clips
9:14:40 AM: Pausing videos
9:14:40 AM: Warning: temp folder already exists

Hope this is helpful This is on Windows 10 Pro

You found my Easter Egg/Debug window!

It appears that the Tesla_Dashcam is failing for some reason. Right now I'm not capturing the output from that program. If you are able to, right after clicking on the merge function, click on the 'tesla_dashcam' icon that appears in the task bar at the bottom of your window and see if there are any messages in that window that can help.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Dumb question- how do you attach an image here? I'm having trouble uploading a picture without first uploading it to my webserver which is super clunky?

Thank you so much so this is what It show when I try to merge

12:12:32 PM: Loading clips
12:12:31 PM: Pausing videos
12:12:18 PM: Loading clips
12:12:16 PM: MediaRight status changed
12:12:16 PM: MediaFront status changed
12:12:16 PM: MediaLeft status changed
12:12:16 PM: Play state changed: 2
12:12:16 PM: Pausing videos
12:12:05 PM: Warning: temp folder already exists: C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\Tesla DashCam 2019\tempmerge checking for existing files

I actually use something called greenshot to take screenshots and then just copy and paste right on to the forums here. It is a great utility to take screenshots I use it a lot at work lol.