Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode a home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am a new owner. I have read a post or two that mention sentry mode being a battery hog, but I also see this usage at home while the car is in the garage. I did save my home address, and set it to be off at home, but is it not really off?

On a related note I installed a SSD drive in the car for sentry mode and the dashcam feature. I did format the disk as explained in the owners manual, and create the TeslaCam folder but I only see an icon for sentry mode. Do you have to do something else to get the dashcam to work?

Thanks.

First off, welcome! What a car, huh?

It sounds like you did the right stuff to disable Sentry at home. Maybe post us a shot of the screen, just to be sure. I assume even in Arizona it's not particularly hot right now, but another possibility is Cabin Overheat Protection, which will chew up power. And if you have Smart Summon, turn off its Standby mode. The car won't respond so quickly at first when you use Summon, but it can go to sleep and save power, rather than staying awake listening for a command all the time. Those are common drains.

Again, your TeslaCam stuff sounds good. You used FAT32, right? Other formats don't make for a happy car. When you plug it in, you should get a little camera icon after a few seconds, right by the Sentry (HAL) icon.

First off, welcome! What a car, huh?

It sounds like you did the right stuff to disable Sentry at home. Maybe post us a shot of the screen, just to be sure. I assume even in Arizona it's not particularly hot right now, but another possibility is Cabin Overheat Protection, which will chew up power. And if you have Smart Summon, turn off its Standby mode. The car won't respond so quickly at first when you use Summon, but it can go to sleep and save power, rather than staying awake listening for a command all the time. Those are common drains.

Again, your TeslaCam stuff sounds good. You used FAT32, right? Other formats don't make for a happy car. When you plug it in, you should get a little camera icon after a few seconds, right by the Sentry (HAL) icon.
On win10 Fat32 is not really an option from the normal right click menu. you have NTFS and exFAT, not a legacy fat32 option. Right now I have Sentry mode turned off. I'll get a shot of the screen over the weekend.

On win10 Fat32 is not really an option from the normal right click menu. you have NTFS and exFAT, not a legacy fat32 option. Right now I have Sentry mode turned off. I'll get a shot of the screen over the weekend.

Win 10 can't format a partition larger than 32GB in FAT32.

Many 3rd party tools (like Rufus for example) can do so.

Win 10 can't format a partition larger than 32GB in FAT32.

Many 3rd party tools (like Rufus for example) can do so.
I had to solve this another way. Rufus won't see a SSD drive connected to a USB/SATA cable as a valid target. So I set up an Ubuntu VM with updated USB 3 drivers. Mounted the SSD to the VM and formatted it like that. I have not put it back in the car yet but I think this should do the trick. If it works it will be kind of ironic that I had to use a Linux computer to format something as FAT32.