Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode disabled in vision-only cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed today that my vision-only M3 LR hasn't recorded any sentry events in a while. I tested it and I get the "Use Key Card" message when I try to get in the car and there is no sentry event recorded. A Reddit user had this same issue and a Tesla service rep said that sentry mode had been disabled in vision-only cars until issues can be worked out. It would be nice if Tesla communicated this to us!

Same problem here with May 2021 M3LR. Based on what I read here and on other forums, I tried reformatting the USB stick but that made no difference. Tried turning off Sentry Mode manually then back on via the app later. Nothin'. Last night, I ensured both mine and my wife's app was closed and we weren't plugged in for charging. Essentially, the car should have been able to deep sleep. Today, my wife told me that she got about 20 sentry mode alerts in a Costco parking lot and they were about 1 min or so apart. Didn't get anything last week during groceries and there would have been just as many cars backing out, moving around etc.
I am thinking this may just be another manifestation of the same bug where people got lots of events in a short time for no real reason.

Yeah, it definitely isn't working on my new LR M3. It records when you open the door/drive as always. But sentry isn't a thing. Doesn't alert, nothing. Model S parked by me at the charger flashes the lights when you walk right by the front bumper, know it works on radar cars.

Annoying....this is why Tesla's BS about being a software company that makes cars is a joke. They can't even communicate issues and problems that are known to them to their customers like any good software dev/company does. They get enough feedback and notifications from users to know it is a problem, but why tell us huh?

How hard is it to have a little info/inbox popup in the UI that alerts you to be able to see issues/known problems???

Whatever...get it together Tesla!!!

I filed a report and had a Tesla service guy out this morning for this issue. I had tried everything to get it to trigger and nothing worked. The only way he could get it to trigger was using a jack and raising the car.

Afterwards he found that it was a known firmware issue with the new cars without radar. It looked like events were being saved on the USB, just not in the correct place and it wasn’t alerting properly on the UI or in the app.

He thought it might be fixed in 2021.4.18.10 but wasn’t 100%.

Just confirmed also that Sentry Mode is fixed for me with. 2021.4.18.10. I turned off BT then approached the car. I saw the flash and the sentry mode activated UI. Of course, since this was in my garage I approached from the front. However, in prior versions this didn't even happen.

Always post version numbers, vision only cars are on a dozen or so different software versions at the moment in three major groups (.3, .4, and .11). I would imagine this issue only affects the pre-mid-July cars that are on 2021.4.x.

My vision-only 2021.3.105 has an overactive sentry mode and I occasionally get over over 100 events in an evening as it records subtle changes in lighting and camera exposure adjustments during sunset and as the moon passes.

I have a 2021 MY LR 7 Seater with Vision only... Sentry works perfect although i use a Samsung 1TB flash drive and not the stock stick Tesla gave me...
Just an FYI, you need to keep that cabin temperature protection turned on or it may kill your drive. The more robust way to go is the industrial SD cards; they can hit the data rate while also being rated for vibration and extreme temperatures that cars see.

Reactions: tommybahamaX