Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode discussion split from Taycan/Model 3 thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right. Sentry mode hasn't caught or prevented any crimes at all. LOL
I doubt Sentry has prevented many crimes, but Sentry cameras have caught people committing crimes, so I will give you that one.

Summon - Primarily party entertainment. We have used it exactly one time in three months.
Auto Lane Change - I have yet to experience why this is valuable versus changing lanes oneself.
Navigate on Autopilot - It simply doesn't work well for us in S. California...misses lane changes and off ramps...we basically never use it.
Autopark - Perpendicular Autopark is so slow that every time we have tried it someone else has zipped into the space.

The potential to upgrade the Tesla via over-the-air software updates is a plus. Now, let's get some software that works effectively and doesn't seem to be constant beta versions.

I doubt Sentry has prevented many crimes, but Sentry cameras have caught people committing crimes, so I will give you that one.

Summon - Primarily party entertainment. We have used it exactly one time in three months.
Auto Lane Change - I have yet to experience why this is valuable versus changing lanes oneself.
Navigate on Autopilot - It simply doesn't work well for us in S. California...misses lane changes and off ramps...we basically never use it.
Autopark - Perpendicular Autopark is so slow that every time we have tried it someone else has zipped into the space.

The potential to upgrade the Tesla via over-the-air software updates is a plus. Now, let's get some software that works effectively and doesn't seem to be constant beta versions.
Sentry mode is like any security system and acts as a deterrent. So how is that not preventing crime? The more criminals are aware of it, the more potential crimes it will prevent. A few months ago a suspicious looking person walked up to my car in the parking structure of my apartment complex and looked inside the windows. He left quickly after seeing the sentry mode screen popped up. It's not uncommon for cars in my complex to be broken into or have stuff stolen from them. So did sentry mode prevent a possible crime? I'd say so.

Just because you find certain features not useful or perhaps they don't work well for you, doesn't mean others can't benefit or enjoy them. It's kinda like having a fingerprint scanner or face unlock on smartphones. They don't work perfectly all the time and some people hate them but still many find them useful. Personally I love autopilot but I know people who think it's useless since they drive in LA traffic. You said summon is a party trick, and yea for some it might be. But I've seen people who have a tight garage space say they use it daily and it's a godsend.

When you say the potential to update software is a plus, that's exactly what I mean. Tesla is currently the only manufacturer I know of that's capable of adding these type of upgrades over the air. Of course like any other software, be it car or computer, there's always going to be bugs and issues. But the great thing is they can fix or improve upon them in the next iteration. It's essentially a computer on wheels.

Version 10 of the software updates will add things like Netflix, Youtube, Careoke, which honestly I don't care for much since I will rarely use them. But I'm sure plenty of other people, like those who often use Superchargers will appreciate them.

Last edited:
Sentry mode is like any security system and acts as a deterrent. So how is that not preventing crime?
I disagree. Sentry mode has no visible indicator that an alarm or security system is enabled...unlike every other car we have owned in the past 20 years with an alarm/security system that had a flashing red light (often on the rear view mirror) when the system was armed.

If you assume most vandals somehow know that the Tesla Sentry system is "armed" and they are being recorded, then I think you are giving the morons more credit than they are due.

Anyway, this discussion of Sentry is a sidebar discussion.

I do agree the Tesla software updates, when they are valuable because they work, are a feature that differentiates the Tesla from the Porsche.

Last edited:
I disagree. Sentry mode has no visible indicator that an alarm or security system is enabled...unlike every other car we have owned in the past 20 years with an alarm/security system that had a flashing red light (often on the rear view mirror) when the system was armed.

If you assume most vandals somehow know that the Tesla Sentry system is "armed" and they are being recorded, then I think you are giving the morons more credit than they are due.
sentry-mode-1.jpg

Sentry mode has no visible indicator that an alarm or security system is enabled...unlike every other car we have owned in the past 20 years with an alarm/security system that had a flashing red light (often on the rear view mirror) when the system was armed.

This is not true? Sentry is actually rather obnoxious with how often it will turn on the headlights if it even thinks someone is walking towards it. It is 1000x times more obvious than the little red light attached my BMW's rearview mirror.

Tbh I'd like the option to make it less obvious if anything! I'd prefer the car not attract any attention unless someone is physically touching it.

It should also be conceded that no other automaker requires as many bug-fix-updates, as Tesla does, either.
Well to be fair, if the software is more complex then it's more susceptible to bugs and issues.
Three months.

We have always had Sentry enabled. Home excluded.

We have never seen the "Sentry Activated" screen, but as I mentioned, we will look for it going forward.
Are you using your phone as a key? The activation screen won't turn on if it detects the owner (phone) nearby.

Reactions: tvad
LOL...so, I went into the Model 3's "Security" menu to see if there was a Sentry option that had not been initiated because we would never see "Sentry Activated" on the Model 3's screen when the car was locked. While I was fiddling around, I turned off Sentry and turned it back on. I selected "Exclude Home". Now, with the car parked in our garage and locked, the Sentry flashes the headlights and the "Sentry Activated" shows temporarily on the screen.

What up?

LOL...so, I went into the Model 3's "Security" menu to see if there was a Sentry option that had not been initiated because we would never see "Sentry Activated" on the Model 3's screen when the car was locked. While I was fiddling around, I turned off Sentry and turned it back on. I selected "Exclude Home". Now, with the car parked in our garage and locked, the Sentry flashes the headlights and the "Sentry Activated" shows temporarily on the screen.

What up?

Maybe it doesn't know where "home" is?

What up?
hmm, not sure. 'Exclude Home' seems to work perfectly for me.