Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode is great until its not turned on and some one hits you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's finally happened. I'm in the netherlands and come out to find broken glass on my rather cracked spoiler and no evidence of the heinous crime.

So have a small depression on the boot lid (no creases so hopefully my PDR guy to the rescue) and replacement spoiler to sort when home

On the plus side with Teslas worth feck all a few dents probably won't harm the residuals :)

Sad. Unfortunately I've noticed accidents tend to happen only when you chose to or forgot to turn on Sentry..

Decided to keep Sentry always on except at home.
Costs me probably between 50p - £1 / day (around 4kWh/day depending on charging costs) when travelling, but at least with a small hope I might get to catch someone in the act.
More than paid for itself once already when someone crashed into my parked car on a narrow street.

Hopefully you'll manage to get it fixed at minimal cost.
Anything of value stolen from the car? (And visible from the outside?)

Reactions: debrooker
Wife's car got dented in Scotch Corner and I'd turned Sentry off that week as we were away and unable to charge some nights so don't want to suck up battery that I needed for driving range. Could have turned it back on there but I just forgot.

Hoping the Q2 update that might lower its power consumption by 40% will mean it's less of an issue to just leave it on. Same as you WIIXM, I'm not worried about the cost of it but more in this case being left stranded with too little charge by running it too long. Well maybe not stranded but inconvenienced for sure.

Reactions: debrooker
it's even worse when you do leave it on, someone hits you and the Tesla doesn't save the clip (happened to me recently!)

Personally I leave it on everywhere except home and favourites, and even then I run an automation in tessie to turn it on between 1am and 7am (I don't have cameras at home)

Reactions: FastLaneJB
it's even worse when you do leave it on, someone hits you and the Tesla doesn't save the clip (happened to me recently!)

Personally I leave it on everywhere except home and favourites, and even then I run an automation in tessie to turn it on between 1am and 7am (I don't have cameras at home)
Makes sense. Not tried it but you should be able to automate this natively with iOS Shotcuts also.

Yes we had an incident where car was parked in a private gated car park. The night time walk in access was a gate, some drunkard decided to kick this gate full force and into the back of our car. Sentry mode was not on as thought it was secure. wont be making that mistake again!

As previous people have suggested sentry mode enabled everywhere excluding home. Amazing some of things we catch now in car parks with it enabled.

I’ve come to realise sentry mode might be one of the best things about Teslas!

Our car was vandalised on our drive one night and Sentry did a better job of ID’ing the plebs than our home CCTV did. After that it’s always on now!

Wish other manufacturers offered something similar.

I’ve come to realise sentry mode might be one of the best things about Teslas!

Our car was vandalised on our drive one night and Sentry did a better job of ID’ing the plebs than our home CCTV did. After that it’s always on now!

Wish other manufacturers offered something similar.
Have to agree with that, especially as most other cars do come with plenty of cameras so they likely have the hardware to offer this but still they make you buy a separate dash cam and get it all wired in. Very poor in my opinion.