Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode mechanics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I had multiple (23) sentry false positive events last night. There was no alert on the phone. A neighbor informed me that the car lights were flashing multiple times last night. Looking at the footage, the recorded events were between 2.00a and 5.00a but I didn’t see anything suspicious. Also, most of the time it was pitch black (couldn’t see in the footage any flashing lights from the car). Two more pieces of info: 1) it was quite windy last night and 2) there was a reflection of the moon in a garage door that kind of look like a human face (but this is a stretch)

With all that said, I want to understand how Sentry mode works. What is being used to determine something suspicious? The cameras? And how? Using face recognition? Just detecting movement? Just detecting something that looks like a person? What about the proximity sensors? What about vibration? If yes, how vibration is being detected? When do the lights flash?When is the alarm triggered etc etc etc. you get the point.

Is there any documentation (either by Tesla or by user experiences) that explain the mechanics of Sentry mode? Can you point me to any links?

Thanks

Hello,

I had multiple (23) sentry false positive events last night. There was no alert on the phone. A neighbor informed me that the car lights were flashing multiple times last night. Looking at the footage, the recorded events were between 2.00a and 5.00a but I didn’t see anything suspicious. Also, most of the time it was pitch black (couldn’t see in the footage any flashing lights from the car). Two more pieces of info: 1) it was quite windy last night and 2) there was a reflection of the moon in a garage door that kind of look like a human face (but this is a stretch)

With all that said, I want to understand how Sentry mode works. What is being used to determine something suspicious? The cameras? And how? Using face recognition? Just detecting movement? Just detecting something that looks like a person? What about the proximity sensors? What about vibration? If yes, how vibration is being detected? When do the lights flash?When is the alarm triggered etc etc etc. you get the point.

Is there any documentation (either by Tesla or by user experiences) that explain the mechanics of Sentry mode? Can you point me to any links?

Thanks
I recently had the FSD computer upgrade done on my early 2018 M3, and I’m now getting all kinds of false activations (>100 events during the workday, with no corresponding trigger on footage). Prior to HW 3.0, I never had false triggers. I’m wondering if something is faulty or loose on the new computer? What HW version do you have?

I have an appointment at the SC on the 17th. Hopefully they can figure out what’s wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I also quickly discovered that I couldn't leave sentry on when it rains overnight. More than 50 sentry events recorded and the neighbor across the street asking why my car kept waking them up with the headlights flashing....

More than 350 events is not uncommon when it is raining, and flashing headlights all night. I like to have Sentry mode on but now switch it off when I know that it is going to rain :-(. How difficult can it be for Tesla IT to create a Sentry mode option where you can switch off "headlights flashing"?

I also quickly discovered that I couldn't leave sentry on when it rains overnight. More than 50 sentry events recorded and the neighbor across the street asking why my car kept waking them up with the headlights flashing....

This is why I wish we had an option so the car wouldn't flash the headlights. Depending on where you park this brings unwanted attention to the car. I've had numerous times where people that would have kept walking past my car but when the headlights flashed, they walked back to my car and put their grubby hands on the window to see if anyone was inside.