Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode, Night Time ONLY Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you run my code on your own computer and you keep your token on your computer

We are replacing everyone's extra-computer-at-home because they contain some Chinese components, and the consultants we employ to advise on our resilience against intrusion say that's a threat.

Up to you where you start/stop, but I think TeslaFi's et al business model is in serious jeopardy if they get even just one breach ... and I also think their ability to maintain, on an ongoing basis, updates to security threats far exceeds my available time as a competent IT developer ... let alone that of an armchair hacker ...

Different-folks, different-stkores of course ...

Reactions: Adopado
We are replacing everyone's extra-computer-at-home because they contain some Chinese components, and the consultants we employ to advise on our resilience against intrusion say that's a threat.
Because they do not like you could have some private data not owned by a corporation so they have to cast FUD on any private data. Nowadays nobody even tries to have any data secure, they just argue with a signed legal paper "the competing company hosting our data must not look at the data because of our signed contract", hahaha. All the data must be accessible by intelligence agencies by law anyway so most of private data must be suppressed in general.

This is getting side tracked - but the simple point is unless you home brew the ability to create your own tokens and create and execute the commands, then there's a potential weakness. Much like teslamate has a weakness that it requries you to provide a token even though you self host the solution, to get the tokens you have to use one of the various online or app based approaches to generate the token.. and in doing so, the people that provide the service that generates the tokens has access to the tokens.

I'm not going to audit your code, but I think it would be wrong to let there be claims that one solution is safe and the others not when there are still weaknesses. It also looks complex and if you have the tech skills to work out how to safely use github, self host the solution and set up cron jobs, then you probably have the skills to use Tim Dorrs informative website and write the thing yourself.

As an aside, it's marginal on this sites rules if this is self promotion, I've only let it go so far because I can not see any commercial benefit.

Reactions: Adopado

Up to you where you start/stop, but I think TeslaFi's et al business model is in serious jeopardy if they get even just one breach ... and I also think their ability to maintain, on an ongoing basis, updates to security threats far exceeds my available time as a competent IT developer ... let alone that of an armchair hacker ...

Different-folks, different-stkores of course ...
Which computers don't contain Chinese components?

If you dont want to pay for a subscription and/or don’t need the data capture Teslafi etc offer, then tesla info provide a free option. You create a simple link that turns it on or off which you can then automate with something like an apple shortcut.

Great comments about coding it yourself via API's, and the power one can have is awesome/scary depending on your outlook.
combining it with Apple IOS Shorcut apps to do automation would work a charm

You can automate it yourself for free. And it has other uses: Add API methods. by jankratochvil · Pull Request #8 · stevieb9/tesla-vehicle

Does anyone have access to a comprehensive list of Tesla API's available i may look to utilise?

A separate Dashcam would use only a tiny amount of energy (compared to Sentry Mode). Dunno how its monitoring ability would compare though.
Unfortunately, in my experience, isn't so tiny.
This maybe depends on what Dashcam you have. I recently bought Vantrue Nexus 5 and the car will wake-up every 2 hours for 1 hour to recharge the 12v battery (according to Teasie).

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Hi Everyone,

I don't normally use Sentry mode due to the amount of battery it consumes and not having the ability to charge at home.
However due to a number of car break-in's on my street in the last few months i decided to turn it on as a precaution, but with the "Camera Based Detection" turned off to save on power/battery usage.

View attachment 958602

However since my last full charge (90%) a week ago it has still consumed 40% of the power, this is just ridiculous when my driving has only consumed half of that (22%), this does not bode well for the cost of using it.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set sentry mode to turn on when its dark only, so its off during the day but turned on during the night when break ins are most common?

Additionally can someone advise, if i turn sentry mode off altogether, and the car alarm is triggered, does it still make any recording of the incident?

Thanks
The following is not intended to be frivolous: if you are in range of the car, why not switch sentry mode on before bed and switch it off in the morning?
I must be missing something 🤔

The following is not intended to be frivolous: if you are in range of the car, why not switch sentry mode on before bed and switch it off in the morning?
I must be missing something 🤔
Was after something that turns it on/off when its dark as brake-ins are more likely then.
Sunset/Sunrise changes all year round so not ideal, therefore an automation would be best

also with sods luck prob happen the day i forget to switch it on

if you have an iphone/ipad you may be able to use the latest version of the app which added shortcuts support. Set up an automation to trigger sentry on and either wait before turning off, or a separate one to turn off?

Not possible with iphone shortcuts, as there are no automations available for the Testa app on ios.

Latest version of the app:

IMG_1334.png

Update your app. Use shortcut automation to start and stop sentry on sunset and sunrise

&

Latest version of the app:

Thank you both, i can see that the apple automation shortcuts were only added 3 days ago.
This is amazing and a game changer for ios users, the possibilities are endless with the apple shortcut app.

i wonder if Tesla are checking these forums, only made the question/request in July, and a month later they have updated the app to allow these smart controls, Fantastic :):cool:

Reactions: Mrklaw