Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode not triggering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have thought all three Sentry controls would be in synch. Redundant switches. And that when you're inside your geofence, they would all show that sentry is on, but it just wouldn't react to movement at those locations. The service tech I've been texting for the past several days doesn't seem to know how it is supposed to work.

Here is how my three UI switches are behaving:

The primary toggle (with the checkboxes next to it) is the "master" for Sentry mode. Move that back and forth, and both the app's toggle and that redeye at the top react. (Oh, and the checkboxes all check again...another defect)

The app toggle and the redeye are acting as status indicators for whether Sentry is monitoring, but also as override switches against those checkboxes: If the vehicle is at a location outside the checkboxed areas, both the app toggle and the redeye are off, indicating that Sentry mode is not functioning. But it also seems to be telling the user that Sentry is off altogether (it's not), so there's a strong temptation to turn it on using the app or the redeye, so that once you're outside the geofence it will function.

In UI design, we design three separate states for situations like this where off/on aren't quite capturing the whole of it. The smarter way to do it would be to have (for example) a tooltip in the app that says "Sentry disabled due to location. Turn on to temporarily override." or something along those lines.

I don't know whether this is a bug or something that they "designed" intentionally, but I hope this helps somebody who is confused.

Got a text this morning from Tesla Service that they pushed an update to Software 2020.16.2.1 to my car and initial feedback is that sentry mode is back. i can trigger it when approaching the car with my bluetooth turned off.
However the behaviour that when turning sentry mode off in the UI and back on, the toggles for home, work and favorites still are being checked even though they had previously all been unchecked.

I'll try to report back tomorrow if I have any sentry reports but I am hopeful

I have now had my car backed into twice while street parked and both left scratches. Both times sentry cam did not record. Both times I also clicked to save the dashcam for the last hour to see if I could catch it there.... and both times the file corrupted.

I literally get 30 sentry events when people walk by my parked car but both times that I actually needed it, it didn't record. Useless

• Informative
Reactions: bcpm3p
Updated to 2020.16.3 sentry mode is still not 100% working
It's slightly improved, if the car is awake the headlights flash and sentry mode recording appears on screen
This wasn't happening on 2020.16.2.1

If it's asleep, nothing happens even when charging unless the Tesla app is used to query the car

Left the car overnight, this morning walked up to the car without cell phone.....nothing
no headlight flash screen black. Pulled on the driver door handle heard HV contactors clunk "tap key card to unlock" on screen. Walked around the car pulled on random door handles, no action from sentry mode

Looks like nothing much has changed :(
Same old issue once car goes to sleep sentry mode stops

• Informative
Reactions: bcpm3p
Tonight I noticed one of the USB ports loosing power
it's connected to Taptes wireless charger
The Taptes charger power light goes out
Connecting USB drive to same USB port the drive isn't detected and there is no
power indication on the drive.
I have to do a scroll wheel reboot to get the USB port active again

I removed the Taptes charger and powered it with a USB power supply
it's functioning normally.

I've not had any issues with the Taptes charger or the USB ports till now
I wonder if this is a symptom of the sentry mode crashing idea, or maybe the cause