Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode red X most of the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8 times out of 10 or maybe even more when I get into the car there is the red X over the sentry mode icon. Going into settings it doesn't see that there is a memory stick, even though there is, unplugging stick does nothing. If I do the soft reset (push and hold both wheels) when it boots back up the X is gone and everything is working. The issue is solved every time by the reset.

I don't want to have to reset every time I get into the car, it's time consuming and annoying. Since it is a safety part of the car it should just work. I also don't mean this as a bash but my wife is often in a rush and would forget to do this, and God forbid if something were to happen it wouldn't be recorded. Anyone else have this? Wanted to check here before I set up service.

I am having this issue. Took the car in today and they replaced the computer. In the notes they stated that the USB memory card was not a Tesla card. When I picked up the car I bought a Tesla memory card and brought the car home. Red X returned using the Tesla memory card. Will set another appointment tomorrow.

Craig
2021 MYLR w/FSD, 34k miles

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
I saw that but they were talking about the car not formatting the drive correctly. Since Tesla changed out the computer at the service appointment yesterday and stated that it could be caused by a non-Tesla thumb drive. Using the Tesla thumb drive didn't correct the issue I am working through what else it could be. I followed the directions and reformatted the drive using the windows cmd prompt. Just put the drive back in the car and then soft reset the car. The drive connected to the car and was recording. Will check back in a couple hours to see if it's still connecting. If it isn't I'll set up another appointment.

That has been an episodic problem for me. The car suddenly doesn't even recognize a device is plugged in. I tried thumb drives, SD cards, microSD cards made specifically for hot car use, Tesla sent a tech who replaced the USB hub in the car, all to no avail. Then after a software update it disappeared completely, zero issues for over a year. Recently it started again, the device is fine when I plugged it into a computer, car doesn't see it. I just received a software update and the device is seen and is functioning. So far. v2023.44.30.25

I have the same problem, and Tesla has been unable to fix it. See:

Intermittent Electrical Problem Tesla Can't Fix, 5 Months Left on Warranty

The White Plains NY Tesla service center claimed that there were no other similar complaints. You should take your car to a Tesla service center to at least make a record. Be sure to show them this link, and turn off Sentry when you leave the car with them.

I lose USB music and security intermittently only when the car is parked with Sentry off after 10 minutes or less. On two occasions while loading the car, I've noticed that USB came back on its own, so it's intermittent in both directions. The only solution is to leave Sentry on, which burns significant energy, or do a soft reboot before driving every time it happens, which wastes time. About 10% of the time, two back-to-back soft reboots are necessary to restore USB.

Reactions: cb-prometheus
My problem started in late November 2023, several weeks after a software update. There have been several software updates since, and none has made any difference. It wasn't caused by a firmware update, and it hasn't changed when the firmware has changed. The way it goes on and off, it seems more like a bad solder or loose connection. It either works perfectly, or suddenly doesn't work at all, or reverts back to working perfectly. There's nothing in between.

I took it to the service center last Thursday. They ended up replacing the computer and in the notes the tech said it could be that I was using a non-Tesla thumb drive. Before I left I bought a Tesla thumb drive and plugged it in just in case it happened again. The next morning with the Tesla drive I had the red X. Found the thread about keeping sentry mode on and here we are. I will send a note to Service on the app that it came back and the leaving sentry mode on was the only way to keep it working.

I took it to the service center last Thursday. They ended up replacing the computer and in the notes the tech said it could be that I was using a non-Tesla thumb drive. Before I left I bought a Tesla thumb drive and plugged it in just in case it happened again. The next morning with the Tesla drive I had the red X. Found the thread about keeping sentry mode on and here we are. I will send a note to Service on the app that it came back and the leaving sentry mode on was the only way to keep it working.
The USB source is irrelevant.

For what it is worth, same issue here. Model Y, 2020 purchased September 2020. Within the last couple of days thumb drive would disappear. Works fine in a computer. Shows up in the car after a reboot. But seems to drop off completely after awhile. I tried different drives, same result. I put in a service request last night which is scheduled for 4/12. I received a new Software update today (2024.8.7) after receiving one earlier this week (2024.8.4) which may have started the problems. Ironically the notes indicate minor security related updates. Technically dashcam falls under security so hopefully this update fixes something. I will post updates.

Side note...leaving Sentry on at home did keep the drive connected. Seems like a waste to keep that running all the time it sits in a closed garage. .

That has been an episodic problem for me. The car suddenly doesn't even recognize a device is plugged in. I tried thumb drives, SD cards, microSD cards made specifically for hot car use, Tesla sent a tech who replaced the USB hub in the car, all to no avail. Then after a software update it disappeared completely, zero issues for over a year. Recently it started again, the device is fine when I plugged it into a computer, car doesn't see it. I just received a software update and the device is seen and is functioning. So far. v2023.44.30.25
Still working fine, software update fixed it. So far.

Like all other firmware updates since this started happening last November, 2024.8.7 changes nothing in respect of loss of USB. If you think it has, just give it a few days. The fault is intermittent and doesn't occur every time you park the car with sentry off.

Update: Two new software updates (up to 2024.8.9) with no changes. USB still drops off and requires a reboot to be seen again. Took it into the shop. The service advisor said if it was firmware issue there would be nothing they could do about it.

In service overnight. Next day I got a late call saying it was ready but the advisors had gone home so I didn't have anyone to talk to. The invoice ($0 covered under warranty) simply said "Diagnosed and Replaced Front Center Console USB Hub." USB connected when I picked it up. Drove home, car went to sleep and next morning no USB again.

Continued existing Service Center chat and they (likely a new person) said "Sorry about that, can you fill out a new appointment request". Next appointment, 2.5 weeks. Bless their heart, the new service advisor asked if I'd attempted to format the USB drive. :(

Leaving Sentry mode on 24/7 seems to keep USB connected. Silly I have to do that.