Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode VS Blackvue DR900S-2CH OR any other dash cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have a X 100D on order that should be here in 2 weeks. I have a Blackvue DR900S-2CH dash cam in my current car and I am wondering if I even need it in the X. I am thinking about selling it. Isnt Sentry Mode essentially the same thing?

Do I even need a dash cam?

Thanks!

...Do I even need a dash cam?...

I don't know about you but yes, I do.

1) Tesla is in beta so sometimes it works other times don't. I need consistency and predictability.
2) Tesla is video only. I need audio also because I need to decipher all the chimes and alarms so I know the car's status.
3) Currently, Tesla only shows front and 2 sides but if someone hits (vandalizes) you from behind, it does not show that. Thus, I need a dash cam to record the rearview.

Some day Tesla's system will be mature enough to replace a standard dash cam, but not now.

Last edited:
I have both, and I think it's worth installing the DR900S. It has a much wider field of view than the TeslaCam and also is higher resolution so it captures license plates much more clearly. Also the rear camera can be very helpful as well.