Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode won’t work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So maybe I’m doing something wrong. Back when I first got the car, added a micro SD card to extend the time that the vehicles cameras will record. I thought that when Sentry Mode came out it would use that same disk. Anyone else do the same thing? When I try to enable Sentry Mode it will not activate and returns a message, Failed to enable Sentry Mode” what am I doing wrong?

Hi Johnstac, I started using Sentry Mose last week. Plugged in a 32 GB micro card and everything works fine. Perhaps the record button is not activated. Make sure the little red light is on with the camera icon. Just tap it and the red light will show the card is recording. Can’t think of anything else to suggest.

Install some kind of usb drive - flash, ssd, whatever, (probably 32gb or larger) formatted to fat32, and with a folder named TeslaCam on it. You should get the dashcam icon with a red dot - if not, try clicking the icon to activate it. If you don't get this far, you've done something wrong, reread the previous instructions. Then, you can turn on sentry mode either via the car's menu or remotely via the app.

I finally figured out why century mode was not turning on for me. For whatever reason the USB cable I had plugged in to the splitter had detached So nothing had been recording on the MicroSD. As soon as I plugged it in the camera icon with the red dot displayed and I can now enter Sentry Mode.

Sorry for all the questions but what is the most popular drives people are using? I wouldn't mind one with lightening to go right into my phone or USB C for my Mac.

How much storage is minimum 64?

Thanks all
I have a 64gb right now but that was before sentry mode was added. This is what I’m thinking of getting and using it with the Raspberrypi usb cam.
Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB Micro SDXC Card with Adapter - 100MB/s U1 (MB-MJ128GA/AM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B984HJ5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OoBLCbJ7D3K27

I’m just getting up to speed with Sentry mode as well. One question, do I need to turn it off before I return to my car or does it automatically disable when I unlock the car with my phone?

Turns off when you unlock, but may "save" the 10 minutes triggered by walking up to it and take up space, so I usually turn it off via app on my way out to the car