Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tangentially related..

I managed to get Google to add my home address to Maps (no idea why it wasn't there). As a consequence I was then able to set my home address in the car to my house and enable Sentry mode. Before that was done I could only choose a house either side about 1/4 mile up the road.

After enabling Sentry mode, I selected "Exclude Home", naturally assuming - as one might - that it would not start using Sentry mode until I drove somewhere. After a while I checked the app out of curiosity and it said "Sentry Mode Active", and was clearly already awake.

Is there some trick to the car correctly identifying the Home address and excluding it? Do I have to drive somewhere before it will realise that it already is at "Home" ?
Not sure why asking Google was required. Can you select 'Home' on navigation menu? And it plots a route to your...Home! As opposed to somewhere in else!!! (It happens).

My address (house name) wasn’t on Google Maps. The road was, but not the actual address. The road itself has reasonably large gaps between houses after a certain point, so I couldn’t use someone else’s address, or a number.

So I couldn’t set my home address in the car. The only thing I could do was set it to another house that WAS on Google, about 200 metres up the road, but it would’ve been useless for Sentry in terms of making sure it didn’t come on when I was parked at my actual home.

Since the car uses live Google Maps for address searching, as soon as I got them to add my residential address complete with the map marker I could search for and use that address in the car, and set it to my Home address.

Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Roy W.