Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry not working correctly for 6+ months, car going to sleep when it shouldn't

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my wife's LR RWD Model 3, we've not had Sentry working properly for quite some time. At first, I assumed it was the USB drives I used. I switched to a USB card reader. It worked for a short time and then ended up also not activating all of the time. Sometimes it would have small 595 byte files and sometimes nothing at all, but other times I would have some sentry events. The SD card I used stopped working, so I got a high endurance micro SD card. Same thing. Worked a few times here and there but mostly nothing. Tried a different card reader. Nothing... I noticed that the defroster on the front camera never kept the cameras clear.

Set up service, and they replaced the USB ports, and when I put the card in, it worked. Well, it worked until the next time the car sat untouched. Then I noticed that once again the window was fogged over on the cameras, while my Model 3 parked right next to it kept the cameras clear.

So after some testing, I figured out a few weeks ago that it seems that my car goes into a deep sleep and then sentry does not work (Sentry should not even let the car go to sleep). If my wife runs quickly into the store, sentry works, but if it's a 30 minute stop somewhere, there are usually a few sentry clips and then nothing. When I look on the drive it looks like Sentry works for a little while and then stops, presumably when the car decides to go into a deep sleep. Our cars are parked next to each other and mine gets triggered many times as we walk through the driveway, while hers does nothing.

Also, the car takes 30+ seconds to wake up in the app at any given time, while my Model 3 only takes a few seconds to wake in the app.

On the plus side (I guess?), the car just sat for over two weeks during Christmas break and while my wife was sick, and lost less than 15 miles of range since nothing is running while it sleeps.

Tesla Service Center in Charlotte just had my car for a week. They said they put their own USB drive in and it worked. The one I had in it was in my car working perfectly for over a month until the day before I took the car in, when I decided to swap them. The one that was in my wife's car works perfectly in my car as expected, but the one from mine which worked didn't work in hers that day before we went.

I don't know if they listened to how to reproduce the issue, but they said it was fine and they said it sat out the back door of the service center for a couple days and Sentry was activating as expected. I arrived Saturday morning to pick it up. I put my USB drive in it just to be sure it was working. We stayed at the SC for almost an hour and it worked every time I walked out. Also, the guy working at the front desk said the headlights kept flashing because people were walking around the car in the parking lot the whole time. So we left with her car. We stopped at a couple stores in Charlotte and it was working. Drove 2.5 hours home and it was working when I parked it... three hours later it was not working, while my car parked next to it worked every time. Got up the morning and her car had frost over the cameras. My car did not, because Sentry was working. All day today I tried getting it to work on hers, and tried 3 different USB drives/card readers. Sentry only went off one time all day, and that was immediately after I had unlocked the car, opened the door and then locked it again. Again, my car, parked right next to it, worked every time I walked into the driveway.

So once again we have to worry that any time she goes somewhere, Sentry probably won't work so hopefully nothing happens.

I have no idea if they listened to my instructions to let it sit completely unbothered for a couple hours and then walk around it to check, or if maybe having the car in "Service Mode" causes it to maintain a connection to Tesla. Sentry seems to work if you have the app open on your phone and the car is awake. It's when the car sits untouched that it doesn't work. I also wonder if because it was working when I put my drive in and then people were walking around it for the next hour constantly setting it off if that made it continue to work until we left.

Her car had 3 events last night and then one today, while my car had 20 events during that time.

A week without the car and two trips to the SC 2.5 hours away, for nothing. 6+ months now with Sentry not working. Now I have to figure out how to precisely reproduce this so that they can see it happen (or rather, not happen), then take it AGAIN to Charlotte and leave it for who knows how long.

Hopefully they will have my FSD computer in soon and I can just get this finally fixed then.

I am not running TeslaFi or anything, no extra splitter cables or hubs or anything else connected to USB now just to be sure something like the Nomad cables weren't affecting things.

Well, after a month of working absolutely perfectly after getting FSD upgrade, Sentry stopped working again last week. Just got 2020.12.6 last night and still isn't working today. The SD card that was in the car is dead. Can't reformat it on my Mac now. Tried three other working SD cards/thumb drives. Don't really want to connect my SSD for fear of it killing that too. Back to square one and worrying about the car not having Sentry.

Well, after a month of working absolutely perfectly after getting FSD upgrade, Sentry stopped working again last week. Just got 2020.12.6 last night and still isn't working today. The SD card that was in the car is dead. Can't reformat it on my Mac now. Tried three other working SD cards/thumb drives. Don't really want to connect my SSD for fear of it killing that too. Back to square one and worrying about the car not having Sentry.
One of the first USB memory cards I tried was a Sandisk Fit. Worked for about a week before it died. And it died horribly. When I plug it into my Mac it sees the USB identity, but finds no storage to mount. I don't blame Tesla. Switched to a SSD and things have been perfect ever since (except for my stupid TapTes hub)

I want to clarify that this issue isn't directly a Sentry issue. It's a "car going to sleep when it shouldn't" issue. Sentry not working is a byproduct of that. It has nothing to do with the USB drives or ports or cameras.

Sentry, Summon Standby and Cabin overheat protection are all enabled and the car goes into deep sleep (and this has now been verified as of last week by Tesla). With any of those enabled it should not go into deep sleep.

After months of trying to explain what I had been seeing and telling them how to see it happen, they finally pushed it up to Tesla engineering and listened to me. They had someone check the logs between the time I get out of the car and when I go out and try to make Sentry activate. Sure enough, they could see that the car went to sleep, even though it shouldn't.

Their answer is that it was being pushed up the chain, and that it would be fixed in a later update.