Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry notification question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If someone touches your car or hits it (ie door dent, etc) and you have sentry activated will you get some sort of notification pop up on your phone.
Fortunately I have no personal experience yet, but several people have posted about door dings and minor collisions, and they did not trigger the alarm. I seems the alarm is primarily triggered by the sound of a window being shattered (using the interior microphone). So you will probably not receive a notification if someone just touches your car.

I wish there would be notifications for sentry trigger even if alarm did not go off
I think that would get on your nerves very quickly since Sentry can go into "alert" state pretty often depending on how busy the parking lot is and what the view of the front and side cameras is. It seems to be triggered by pretty much any motion in the field of view, such as other cars driving by in front of yours or people walking by.

I get the alert on my phone that Sentry mode triggered the alarm, but it brings up the question: "OK, what do I do now?" My car is miles away at the train station, Sentry doesn't send me a photo or anything that could let me know if it's something severe or a bard crapped on my hood. Do I just go home and pull the thumb drive and hope to see whatever it was? This seems like a pretty incomplete system.

I get the alert on my phone that Sentry mode triggered the alarm, but it brings up the question: "OK, what do I do now?" My car is miles away at the train station, Sentry doesn't send me a photo or anything that could let me know if it's something severe or a bard crapped on my hood. Do I just go home and pull the thumb drive and hope to see whatever it was? This seems like a pretty incomplete system.
I hate to rain on your parade but isn't having Sentry Mode in its current state much better than nothing at all? It has been communicated as a BETA feature and honestly it is performing its purpose already. Bad guys have been caught and it is proving to be a good deterrent. Can you imagine the "should I leave a note on their car?" conversation when someone hits a Tesla as word gets out that Tesla's are always recording?

Be grateful of the new feature and if you don't like it, don't use it. I personally feel much more comfortable parking my car in public now.