Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry warning disappeared

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you use a generic USB dongle (not specifically designed for continuous video recording) and use sentry close to 24/7, early Model 3 adopters are likely to start seeing this as write cycles start exceeding expected lifespan of memory. Endurance style SD cards, SSD's, or just using sentry less will lead to longer life of sentry device. If you expect to use sentry 24/7, then SSD may be better option, otherwise Endurance SD is fine (should last around 1 year if used 24/7).

Last edited:
The sentry mode red icon will still display even if your USB storage has failed. Happened to me, took a few looks at the screen to notice the sentry mode icon was on, but the camera icon had disappeared.
I thought it still displayed even if nothing was even connected which I know is pretty much the same as a failed card. Camera only appears when there is a valid card

So just to confirm, FAT32 and the wee camera comes back and interestingly I also no longer have USB as a music source icon (never had music folders or music on EXFAT or FAT32)
IMG_3934.jpg

I’ve had the same problem for several weeks now, after 6 months of it working perfectly. Even when Sentry Mode is active (both icons in the top left showing as normal, as well as on the app), the car goes to sleep (noticeable because the battery drain is minimal!). Walking around the car no longer produces the “Red Eye” Sentry notification on the screen or makes the lights flash. If you pull on the handle, it takes around 5 seconds to wake itself and the screen shows the “Tap Key Card To Unlock” message. I have verified there are no issues with the SD card (tried it with 3 types), excluded locations, my phone being on etc.

Last edited:
I’ve had the same problem for several weeks now, after 6 months of it working perfectly. Even when Sentry Mode is active (both icons in the top left showing as normal, as well as on the app), the car goes to sleep (noticeable because the battery drain is minimal!). Walking around the car no longer produces the “Red Eye” Sentry notification on the screen or makes the lights flash. If you pull on the handle, it takes around 5 seconds to wake itself and the screen shows the “Tap Key Card To Unlock” message. I have verified there are no issues with the SD card (tried it with 3 types), excluded locations, my phone being on etc.
In case it's helpful to others, I fixed this with a Factory Reset via the Service menu (the scroll wheels / scroll wheels + brake didn't work)

• Funny
Reactions: Rooster6655