Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Separate driver profile for snow/ice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As my MYP is brand new, I have not had a chance to drive it yet in the snow/ice. Based on what I have been reading, the regenerative braking becomes a problem. Can anyone describe how this works, based on what I've read when regen braking occurs you don't get the ABS action.

Does anyone have a seperate driver profile set up for this. I'm thinking the changes would be coast & chill mode; anything else?

You have heard wrong. Regen is not a problem. When the car detects wheel lock during regen it will automatically reduce regen and try to use the front motor for regen as well (default is rear only). It will adjust regen power "similar to abs" in that it will constantly ensure wheels don't lock. As abs, they will very briefly lock sometimes as that is essential to provide the best regen while finding the limit of traction. You might feel the back slip ever so slightly but there's no need to panic. Practice in an empty parking lot and you'll gain confidence.
Same thing for acceleration, you can use chill if you want but normal / sport acceleration won't be a problem either as the car has traction control and will reduce power as necessary.
You can use a separate snow/winter profile if you want, to get the feel you want, it's just not required.

Obviously you should apply typical snow driving techniques, as with all cars: no harsh input.

2018 M3 LR dual motor. Yes, I use a separate profile for snow and slick rain conditions. It sets acceleration to chill and regen to low. I normally use “hold” for stopping and this is not a problem since your are already stopped when that kicks in.
I have had numerous problems with the rear sliding out on slick roads during turns, including very low speed turns at intersections. The ABS and traction control have been outstanding in dealing with it, but it is scary. It was far worse with my original MXM4 tires. My current Michelin Pilot sports have far better cornering and traction in all conditions (And they’re cheaper). I do also try to maintain slight acceleration through turns to avoid regen from kicking in. I disagree with the previous reply that says to rely on ABS, traction, and automatic decrease in regen. It is far better to drive and use the car in a manner that does not require safety systems to engage.

Reactions: davraker