Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla center in Maplewood, St Paul, has hundreds of spare parking spaces for cars. I don't see how it hurts Tesla to just keep delivered cars in their lots until Jan 1st or 2nd. They'd gain a lot of good will that they're not getting by sending harassing emails to customers who simply want to save money. We really should have heard more from them on this...
You will most likely be getting your VIN by the end of next week.

Reactions: Tararua
So it's funny to see @Tararua's date changing, and I figured maybe I'll see something on my end. Surely enough, it finally happened. Pushed back by about two weeks, now it's a month range instead of three weeks (whatever that means). I'm not in a crazy rush to pick up the car, so it's kind of like "whatever" to me. But looking at everyone else's wild EDD swings, I was wondering if I was going to win the award for most "stable" EDD throughout the whole process.

Model Y LR, White/Black, 5 seats, 19", no tow hitch (as base as it gets)

Order Date: 9/25 (at local Tesla dealer)
Profile Completed Date: 9/27

EDD As of:

10/15: EDD February 02 - February 22 (20 days after order)
12/02: EDD February 14 - March 14th (48 days since first EDD, 68 days since OD)

So it's funny to see @Tararua's date changing, and I figured maybe I'll see something on my end. Surely enough, it finally happened. Pushed back by about two weeks, now it's a month range instead of three weeks (whatever that means). I'm not in a crazy rush to pick up the car, so it's kind of like "whatever" to me. But looking at everyone else's wild EDD swings, I was wondering if I was going to win the award for most "stable" EDD throughout the whole process.

Model Y LR, White/Black, 5 seats, 19", no tow hitch (as base as it gets)

Order Date: 9/25 (at local Tesla dealer)
Profile Completed Date: 9/27

EDD As of:

10/15: EDD February 02 - February 22 (20 days after order)
12/02: EDD February 14 - March 14th (48 days since first EDD, 68 days since OD)
Very similar EDD to my MY LR (Blue/Black no other options) with an Order date of 9/30). I'm in SW FL (Ft. Myers) and have a relatively new Tesla sales/service/delivery center within 2 miles of my home.

Reactions: eMahle
Would be good, although whole process is so chaotic that my EDD date may be back to April by then... :)
Or I too get my delivery at the same time as you. I have been reading surprise early VINs reported in the Model Y reddit forum. I am guessing many people who are not in online forums, are delaying their orders to get the tax rebate. Interestingly now Schumer's new target date for passing the bill is "before Christmas".

Or I too get my delivery at the same time as you. I have been reading surprise early VINs reported in the Model Y reddit forum. I am guessing many people who are not in online forums, are delaying their orders to get the tax rebate. Interestingly now Schumer's new target date for passing the bill is "before Christmas".
I wonder if the "whichever is later" clause with Jan 1st and the bill being signed into law is still active/included. If it wasn't, a December 24th delivery would work for me!

With midwest dates not changing to earlier times and some getting bumped to later dates I think it really comes down to when Austin gets up and running. There is now a solid chance the midwest and east coast mid to late september orders may get the first batches out of Austin.
I used to wonder about whether I'd be getting a new Y from Austin, but as we get closer to delivery, I'm more inclined to just want the reasonable predictability of a Fremont build. Austin may be different, but Tesla don't exactly have a track record of high quality with new production lines and new models. I've also become a little... dubious about how much of a change 4680s will be. Yes, they'll enable genuine weight reduction, but it doesn't seem there will be a range increase from that, but rather a smaller KWH battery pack. That's good, but I'm happy with the range and performance of the Y as is. I guess that resale values will be eventually higher for Austin builds, so there's that, but we'll be keeping this for a few years at least. I hope that the build quality in Austin will be higher, but I wouldn't count on it immediately...

Reactions: OmbreCake
I wonder if the "whichever is later" clause with Jan 1st and the bill being signed into law is still active/included. If it wasn't, a December 24th delivery would work for me!
The version passed by the House eliminated the whichever is later clause. So, as it now stands if the bill is passed by the Senate and signed into law by the President without a change in this area the new federal tax credit for EVs will apply any EV purchased/delivered Jan. 1, 2022 or later.

My god, how can Tesla be so bad at this?
To be honest, I think this amount of uncertainty or "shell game" is normal for internal logistics. I think Tesla is possibly too forth coming with information. I (a customer) don't really need to see the internal chaos of the company trying to decide where and when product is going to be shipped to this location or that one. But I believe in an effort to be transparent and to give customers the best info they have, we deal with this.
Personally, I ...think....I would have appreciated No info except initial estimate, until such a time that there was a substantial level of confidence there would be no changes.
However I do believe that having the dates move around so much has definitely made me desire the delivery more because it gives me hope...until those unfortunate times when it takes it away haha.

To be honest, I think this amount of uncertainty or "shell game" is normal for internal logistics. I think Tesla is possibly too forth coming with information. I (a customer) don't really need to see the internal chaos of the company trying to decide where and when product is going to be shipped to this location or that one. But I believe in an effort to be transparent and to give customers the best info they have, we deal with this.
Personally, I ...think....I would have appreciated No info except initial estimate, until such a time that there was a substantial level of confidence there would be no changes.
However I do believe that having the dates move around so much has definitely made me desire the delivery more because it gives me hope...until those unfortunate times when it takes it away haha.
I agree about just giving an initial range, but my initial range has come and past. Mine has tow package so that may be delaying me. I wouldn’t mind not having it or the color at this point. But then I would lose my $1k due to the price increase

I agree about just giving an initial range, but my initial range has come and past. Mine has tow package so that may be delaying me. I wouldn’t mind not having it or the color at this point. But then I would lose my $1k due to the price increase
Yeah I hear ya. At this point I don't know what is or isn't causing delay. I have tow included and am supposed to be near receipt of vin and delivery. Request for payment was received from Tesla 2 days ago.

I see that sometimes the website defaults to extra options not the base models. Was wondering if maybe Tesla tries to sell what's most readily available. Example, 19" wheels weren't always the default selection.

None the less, hopefully it all sorts itself out.

My god, how can Tesla be so bad at this?
His booking is west coast 9/22 MYP booking. I am wondering if it has to do with his profile completion or some other issue. Other reason could be blue color and a tow. With the supply chain issues one never knows what is in short supply other than closely watching anecdotal posts here when dates get pushed ahead. Top reason is 7 seater, followed by red and infrequently blue color as well.

Reactions: pgcoco
His booking is west coast 9/22 MYP booking. I am wondering if it has to do with his profile completion or some other issue. Other reason could be blue color and a tow. With the supply chain issues one never knows what is in short supply other than closely watching anecdotal posts here when dates get pushed ahead. Top reason is 7 seater, followed by red and infrequently blue color as well.
I would add Tow hitch to your top 3 reasons.

Reactions: 45thParallel