Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EV incentives will it be retroactive? Since we all already ordered will we be eligible for them?

Current proposed text of the bills seems to involve reinstating $7.5k for Tesla vehicles effective Jan 1 2022 (which would mean delivery date). There is a price limit, but it's higher for SUV's so MY up to around $62k would qualify. Still remains to be seen if any bill passes, and what final language is.

Reactions: BTVev
I don't think that will ever happen. Tesla is waaaaaay too focused on quarterly delivery numbers to stop production or push deliveries to the next quarter. I bet there are a lot people, myself included who would just take delivery in December and forego the refund. I don't think my MYLR would qualify since the limit for cars is $55k in the current bill. In fact, I bet that if the bill passes, you will lots of orders go on hold and EDDs dates will move up drastically for those willing to buy in 2021. I'm sure Tesla is well aware of the complications that a January start date for rebates would have on their delivery numbers. It would be sweet if they offered something like $3000 off the price to take delivery in Q4 to keep people from putting orders on hold.
I'd love it if they did that, and I'd take the $3K discount instead of waiting in a heartbeat. However, whether the credit even makes it into the final bill seems increasingly up in the air. Imagine holding back your order several months to wait for the tax credit just for it to be dropped from the legislation. Damn, that would suck...

Reactions: cusetownusa
I'd love it if they did that, and I'd take the $3K discount instead of waiting in a heartbeat. However, whether the credit even makes it into the final bill seems increasingly up in the air. Imagine holding back your order several months to wait for the tax credit just for it to be dropped from the legislation. Damn, that would suck...
The credit will likely make the bill, but first it has to be passed and right now there’s a standoff among the democrats between the progressive and moderate senators… so everything is tabled at the moment. The proggs are demanding the infrastructure bill be voted on in tandem with the budget reconciliation (which contains the ev credits and is the smaller total spending amount of the two, thus the easiest to pass on its own). I don’t see the ev credits going away unless they negotiate it out alongside trimming the infrastructure bill, but there are things like child tax credits that may go first.

IMO the $400k household income limit is high, that should come down but I doubt all the way to $100k… part of that non-binding resolution to restrict income limit was a limit of like $40k on the car, which I also don’t think is realistic as it restricts the credit to like 3 models. I’m rooting for them to pass but will buy the car either way.

And now I’m realizing I’ve spent entirely too much time reading about this stuff… I wonder what important things I’ve shoved out of my brain to retain this rubbish?!

Reactions: Tararua
I think the legislation will pass in a month's time, definitely before Thanksgiving. So those expecting deliveries can decide to put their delivery on hold to push th sale to after 1 January. I did add Full Self Driving for $10k, that pushes my total out the door cost to $71K. If the legislation limits price to $65K, I might cancel the FSD to be able to get the rebate.

The credit will likely make the bill, but first it has to be passed and right now there’s a standoff among the democrats between the progressive and moderate senators… so everything is tabled at the moment. The proggs are demanding the infrastructure bill be voted on in tandem with the budget reconciliation (which contains the ev credits and is the smaller total spending amount of the two, thus the easiest to pass on its own). I don’t see the ev credits going away unless they negotiate it out alongside trimming the infrastructure bill, but there are things like child tax credits that may go first.

IMO the $400k household income limit is high, that should come down but I doubt all the way to $100k… part of that non-binding resolution to restrict income limit was a limit of like $40k on the car, which I also don’t think is realistic as it restricts the credit to like 3 models. I’m rooting for them to pass but will buy the car either way.

And now I’m realizing I’ve spent entirely too much time reading about this stuff… I wonder what important things I’ve shoved out of my brain to retain this rubbish?!
I thought the household income limit is 800k

Reactions: BTVev
I thought the household income limit is 800k
Good call, I had to look back but it is 800k combined, 600k as head of household and 400k for individuals. I guess I didn’t retain it all, haha. Either way my sentiment is the same, those are not the price conscious shoppers we need to incentivize… maybe phase out at 200k ind, 300k HoH and 400k comb? Just spitballing here, I’m not sure it’ll change and agree with a previous poster that it’ll probably pass before Thanksgiving as is.

My prediction for us September-reservation folks: Tesla books a big Q3, is working to make every Model-Y they can from Fremont, and China, with Germany and Texas plants slowly coming online but not contributing meaningful volume until 6 months or more from now.

US customers wait for our (ahem) political system to run it's course, and likely produce a bill that includes $7.5k credit for most model 3 and Y's (but not the more expensive S and X) with a cap on personal income in the $200k to $500k region.

Credit kicks in for deliveries forward from Jan 1st.

Mayhem in December as Tesla wants to hit Q4 numbers but well-informed people know January deliveries are vastly fiscally advantaged.

Fremont and existing-model-y builds continue to be what we can get access to. Austin plant starts production, possibly with 4680 and new castings, but in very small volume as they work out the kinks. Longshot chance of a different range option tied to the new plant.

Most of us? We're happy to focus on the significant $7.5k rebate, and a proven Fremont-build Model Y.

Hi every1, happy to join this forum! Ordered my 1st electric on 9/18. MY AWD white 19” 7-seats with updated delivery date of Dec. 18 - Jan. 7
MY LR that is. My EDD disappeared around a week and a half ago as well. SA said they don’t know. And I literally live across the Fremont plant. And see brand new MY LRs going “out” on trucks every day! Also, took a test drive last week and def. cemented my decision. Great crossover even though the brand new test drive car did have a glaring build quality issue with the passenger seat plastic base (at the bottom with the seat controls) coming off the seat! Easy fix I assume. Still though, <xing fingers> for a better EDD!

MY LR that is. My EDD disappeared around a week and a half ago as well. SA said they don’t know. And I literally live across the Fremont plant. And see brand new MY LRs going “out” on trucks every day! Also, took a test drive last week and def. cemented my decision. Great crossover even though the brand new test drive car did have a glaring build quality issue with the passenger seat plastic base (at the bottom with the seat controls) coming off the seat! Easy fix I assume. Still though, <xing fingers> for a better EDD!
Build quality and shell material is of poor quality. Many people who pay $70K for a Tesla expect a Lexus or Audi quality and luxury. The money you pay goes for the battery and technology. Due to lack of competition, there is no incentive for Tesla to focus on quality. In 4 years time when the market grows, one can expect Tesla to protect market share by improving quality.

I too got my EDD around 8.30 AM today. It did not show up on my iPad but when I checked it again on my laptop saw the date. As luck would have it, it comes a week before January. Ms. Pelosi said they plan to pass both bills by 31st October. I plan to put on hold for a month if the rebate is $5k or more. Anyone know how to put a "hold" on the order? I might remove my FSD if my FSD causes my sticker to go above the threshold for rebates.

I too got my EDD around 8.30 AM today. It did not show up on my iPad but when I checked it again on my laptop saw the date. As luck would have it, it comes a week before January. Ms. Pelosi said they plan to pass both bills by 31st October. I plan to put on hold for a month if the rebate is $5k or more. Anyone know how to put a "hold" on the order? I might remove my FSD if my FSD causes my sticker to go above the threshold for rebates.
FSD should be able to remove with without changing your date, I’d recommend waiting to see the final language of the bill before changing though just to be safe. Putting the order on hold is easy, call customer support or your SA and they can do it… I’d recommend waiting until you have a VIN to do so though as it seems to give you priority to have had it, it seems like people get assigned a new VIN faster post-hold when they already had one. The rebate will likely be at point of sale and $8k, but of course all is possibly going to change here as they find a legislative balance between the progressive and conservative wings of the Democratic Party in the senate.

Reactions: 45thParallel
If the bill stays the way it is written now, my MYLR in white with towing and white interior will put it over the limit of $55k so no rebate for me. The only config that would get the rebate would be a base MYLR with no options. Add anything to the order and you lose the rebate. Of course, this is contingent on the bill remaining the same. Who knows.