Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of any months, September OD, has the widest range of EDD's for MYLR starting from December to all the way to March. So some change over may be happening in the MYLR or some shut down of the assembly line to increase capacity or something of that sort. A 10 day booking difference has made 2-3 months difference in EDD. It can't all be because of a sudden spike in MYLR demand. Just speculating on September orders.

I wonder if it's more people putting deposits down thinking about the EV tax credit. I think Tesla should make it $1000 and non-refundable. People have multiple cars on hold right now and will either accept one or delay it when their number is called. Ridiculous actually.

Reactions: 45thParallel
My EDD (OD:9/5) jumped from 12/14-1/3 to 11/14-12/12. Not complaining. Instead of an Xmas gift, I could have a Thanksgiving treat. Not holding my breath.
I ordered 1 day after you. Seeing your EDD move to November, I am get mine in early December! I better get going on my Tesla wall connector installation! I am getting quotes around $2500. trying to see if I can find a quote for $2000.

Reactions: Luka816
I ordered 1 day after you. Seeing your EDD move to November, I am get mine in early December! I better get going on my Tesla wall connector installation! I am getting quotes around $2500. trying to see if I can find a quote for $2000.

Is it a difficult install? Like do they have to trench your yard or something, or go a long ways through walls or ceilings?

I just installed mine, myself, this past weekend. It wasn’t bad. Had to go across a hallway ceiling in the basement and out to the garage. Conduit in garage to charger. Probably $120 in parts for the breaker, wire, and conduit stuff. Took several hours of DIY move at my own pace. A little drywall patching later for the holes and it’s a done deal.

The actual electric work is not more difficult than adding an outlet. Probably less difficult. Just two wires and a ground. So $2000 - $2500 is a high premium unless it’s a hard install.

Is it a difficult install? Like do they have to trench your yard or something, or go a long ways through walls or ceilings?

I just installed mine, myself, this past weekend. It wasn’t bad. Had to go across a hallway ceiling in the basement and out to the garage. Conduit in garage to charger. Probably $120 in parts for the breaker, wire, and conduit stuff. Took several hours of DIY move at my own pace. A little drywall patching later for the holes and it’s a done deal.

The actual electric work is not more difficult than adding an outlet. Probably less difficult. Just two wires and a ground. So $2000 - $2500 is a high premium unless it’s a hard install.
Both of us are working full time and so we will definitely need to hire some one. The problem is our basement is fully finished and 1900 square feet, ranch style house. Wire has to go all the way from one end of the house in the basement to the other end through 4 rooms before coming out in the garage. We plan to use a 60 Amp breaker switch and thus it will need a 4 AWG wire. The labor to push the wire through the basement ceiling will consume much time. The going rate for electricians is around $300 per hour. With the labor shortage these days, not much choice.

Both of us are working full time and so we will definitely need to hire some one. The problem is our basement is fully finished and 1900 square feet, ranch style house. Wire has to go all the way from one end of the house in the basement to the other end through 4 rooms before coming out in the garage. We plan to use a 60 Amp breaker switch and thus it will need a 4 AWG wire. The labor to push the wire through the basement ceiling will consume much time. The going rate for electricians is around $300 per hour. With the labor shortage these days, not much choice.
If the floor joists are favorable, then it could end up being a quick job that they make a lot of profit on.

You should check with a stud finder and figure out if the wire will have to run parallel or go through your joists in the ceiling. If parallel, that’s an easy pull until you get to the outer wall. If perpendicular or there are ducts in the way, that’s a lot of holes and labor - which is why it costs a lot.

They will quote for the worst case scenario, but won’t ever offer a discount if the job ends up being easy. So, you should know for yourself and be able to explain to the electrician fully what is involved to get a favorable quote.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's more people putting deposits down thinking about the EV tax credit. I think Tesla should make it $1000 and non-refundable. People have multiple cars on hold right now and will either accept one or delay it when their number is called. Ridiculous actually.
While I agree with you the extension from original order window of 3-4 weeks out to what is looking like 3 months for me, knowing all of the changes that are coming in 2022 will probably tempt me in 6 months to place another order if the resale on Teslas stays so outrageously high. Why not make $5k and get the new updates while locking in the price? I really can’t blame people too much while I totally understand your frustrations. I’m sure people are out there ordering and taking delivery on Tesla after Tesla and just selling them. (I only have one order placed)

Reactions: Luka816
While I agree with you the extension from original order window of 3-4 weeks out to what is looking like 3 months for me, knowing all of the changes that are coming in 2022 will probably tempt me in 6 months to place another order if the resale on Teslas stays so outrageously high. Why not make $5k and get the new updates while locking in the price? I really can’t blame people too much while I totally understand your frustrations. I’m sure people are out there ordering and taking delivery on Tesla after Tesla and just selling them. (I only have one order placed)
If the buyer actually buys the car I don't really care what they do with it. What I was suggesting is that a lot of people (at least on this forum) defer delivery for months and months and months. If you don't actually want the car when it's available you shouldn't be buying it in the first place. :)

I place an order for a MY LR Blue Black 20's balck interior. I placed and recieved confirmation on sept 1st. at the time my estimated delivery date was january 2022, after a few days the estimated delivery date was removed and blank. Since then it has said prepare for delivery, ive already done everything besides finalize the loan, but i just checked back today and now my estimated delivery date says march 13 - april 10th. this is a full 3 months later than my origianal estimate. I know new orders have been pushed back until april at this point, but isnt that just for orders placed now. Pretty disapointed as we have been trying to get out of our current car in favor of something better suited the new addition to our family. What gives, are others seeing this same thing delivery pushed from january to march/april?

It's one of the contributing factors to our EDD's being way out in the future. $1000 non-refundable deposit would cause people to put their money where their decision making is. If it was a $5k deposit what do you think EDD's would be like?
Idk. EOQ Tesla was asking if you were ready to take delivery and if you weren’t immediately ready to arrange delivery they just went to the next person in line without messing around.

It's one of the contributing factors to our EDD's being way out in the future. $1000 non-refundable deposit would cause people to put their money where their decision making is. If it was a $5k deposit what do you think EDD's would be like?
That's an interesting thought. It could go either way.

It could be like Apple devices. No matter what they do they still sell those things.... It's irrational.
or
It could be more in line with typical economic curves...

Though I'm not certain that you've changed the core economic factors, the car still costs the same you've just asked for more up front.. I think, for mental experiment-sake, that orders wouldn't shrink much (< 10%) if you asked for 5k up front.... It's a limited supplier market and there is a certain amount of irrational exuberance. (It would be an interesting experiment.)

In a related economic experiment; I watched a line at Chipotle grow to over a mile long on high street in Columbus Ohio once when they were opening the Chipotle there and giving away "Free Buritos". I asked someone what was going on and they said, "FREE BURRITOS MAN!! FREE!!!!" to which I replied, but you're going to wait in line for AT LEAST 3 hours to get that burrito! To which he replied, "... but they're FREE! Totally FREE!"

Most people will consume things even if they suck, and are free and they'll generally feel great about it (Not saying chipotle burritos suck, I enjoy one now and then), and alternatively they won't walk away from and very consistently value something they pay for, even when it's very little.

I would bet, (I don't have available data) that not many folks walk away from their deposits. and not many folks would fail to order if you asked for 5K up fron You will find some, but statistically i'd wager it; would likely be very few.

That's an interesting thought. It could go either way.

It could be like Apple devices. No matter what they do they still sell those things.... It's irrational.
or
It could be more in line with typical economic curves...

Though I'm not certain that you've changed the core economic factors, the car still costs the same you've just asked for more up front.. I think, for mental experiment-sake, that orders wouldn't shrink much (< 10%) if you asked for 5k up front.... It's a limited supplier market and there is a certain amount of irrational exuberance. (It would be an interesting experiment.)

In a related economic experiment; I watched a line at Chipotle grow to over a mile long on high street in Columbus Ohio once when they were opening the Chipotle there and giving away "Free Buritos". I asked someone what was going on and they said, "FREE BURRITOS MAN!! FREE!!!!" to which I replied, but you're going to wait in line for AT LEAST 3 hours to get that burrito! To which he replied, "... but they're FREE! Totally FREE!"

Most people will consume things even if they suck, and are free and they'll generally feel great about it (Not saying chipotle burritos suck, I enjoy one now and then), and alternatively they won't walk away from and very consistently value something they pay for, even when it's very little.

I would bet, (I don't have available data) that not many folks walk away from their deposits. and not many folks would fail to order if you asked for 5K up fron You will find some, but statistically i'd wager it; would likely be very few.
Another aspect of a 5k non refundable deposit is that Tesla could be in (a somewhat) trouble if they fail to deliver. At which point at least they have to offer a refund option.

I actually don’t know if they offer it now already. People just want the car so bad that nobody asks. But the dynamics will change at 5k

Finally obtained an EDD (APRIL; BOOOO!)
Ordered Red MYLR 9/14 with induction, tow, black interior, FSD. Called the Service Center yesterday and they said to me that what we see on our end is what they see on their end regarding the overview page. So I think they, service center folks, are just in the dark as we are.
Seeing similar as to everyone else, got moved from April to January 27 - February 24