Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm probably clutching at straws here, but i wonder if color has anything to do with it? Like you, I ordered a blue/black MYLR (on 9/10), and I'm 1-2 months behind people who ordered 1-3 weeks later than me. I know nothing is final at this stage, but it is frustrating. I don't want my car before people ahead of me in the queue, but I don't want to be bumped way down the list...
I do know there is a severe paint shortage and I postponed my house painting to next year to avoid paying more for lesser paint choice.

Reactions: Tararua
Yeah if that was the case I would consider changing to MSM instead of blue. And i can see some people have had thier dates bumped back to January/Feburary after intially getting dates in march/april so maybe the system is just not good and will update eventually
Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing! MSM is easily my next favorite color after blue, and the MSM test drive Y I had overnight a couple of months back was beautiful and made me really unsure about which color I preferred. I wonder if an SA would let you know whether color is a factor...

Last edited:
I had 12/13 - 12/31 initially but then it got pushed back.

Most Sept orders seem to be getting pushed into Jan-Mar timeframe. It sucks to have so much uncertainty. Positive spin: If we're patient it'll settle down, we'll have a good chance of getting that $7.5k tax credit, and hey maybe a few folks will see a Texas-built car.

I placed an order for a MY LR Blue/Black 20's. I placed and recieved confirmation on sept 1st. at the time my estimated delivery date was january 2022, after a few days the estimated delivery date was removed and blank. Since then it has said prepare for delivery, ive already done everything besides finalize the loan, but i just checked back today and now my estimated delivery date says march 13 - april 10th. this is a full 3 months later than my origianal estimate. I know new orders have been pushed back until april at this point, but isnt that just for orders placed now. Pretty disapointed as we have been trying to get out of our current car in favor of something better suited the new addition to our family. What gives, are others seeing this same thing delivery pushed from january to march/april?
Might be related to selecting payment option. I had similar experience

I ordered on7/11, completed everything except finalizing loan option. Initial EDD was October, which moved till December and then disappeared for a month.

I selected the payment option as cash for time being on 9/18 and i was assigned feb-march edd after few weeks.

Idk if this was due to delay in selecting payment option or shortage of configuration I selected

I'm probably clutching at straws here, but i wonder if color has anything to do with it? Like you, I ordered a blue/black MYLR (on 9/10), and I'm 1-2 months behind people who ordered 1-3 weeks later than me. I know nothing is final at this stage, but it is frustrating. I don't want my car before people ahead of me in the queue, but I don't want to be bumped way down the list...
Color is definitely part of it. As I understand it; they batch these cars out of the factory by Color / Interior / Feature. Most common colors are batched in larger quantities and with more frequency.

Exterior colors by Order Popularity:
1) White
2) Black
3) Grey
4) Red
5) Blue

Interior Colors by Order Popularity:
1) Black
2) White

Interior Config by Order Popularity:
1) 5 Seat
2) 7 Seat

I don't have data on the other features.

So if you order a: Blue car with white interior in a 7 seat config.... they don't make as many of those and it's likely your EDD will be impacted.

I have no insight into when they batch colors, so that will be an obvious factor.

Reactions: Tararua
Color is definitely part of it. As I understand it; they batch these cars out of the factory by Color / Interior / Feature. Most common colors are batched in larger quantities and with more frequency.

Exterior colors by Order Popularity:
1) White
2) Black
3) Grey
4) Red
5) Blue

Interior Colors by Order Popularity:
1) Black
2) White

Interior Config by Order Popularity:
1) 5 Seat
2) 7 Seat

I don't have data on the other features.

So if you order a: Blue car with white interior in a 7 seat config.... they don't make as many of those and it's likely your EDD will be impacted.

I have no insight into when they batch colors, so that will be an obvious factor.
I didn't know that blue was the least popular color - that certainly makes some sort of sense of the dates. I wonder whether changing to MSM or even PW would get me a car quicker. I've only been waiting a day short of 5 weeks, but I'm already so over it...