Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service Department may refuse to fix rear seat alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped my car off yesterday, as many others I listed the rear seat alignment as one of the issues I found during delivery, which I think is quite obvious.

The rear seats was the first thing the Service Rep. asked me about and he initially seemed to act as if what I was pointing out was expected and not a common complaint, even though anyone following here has seen this before. While my car's seats aren't as bad as some of the pics I've seen here, there's still a visible "jump" from one section of folding seats to the passenger rear seat.

I'm writing because the Service Rep clearly stated he would mark it as an issue but it was unlikely Tesla would be willing to fix it. That came as a really big surprise to me. Has anyone else experienced something similar? I wonder if the sheer number of people experiencing this means Tesla is reluctant to address the less serious cases, or at least that was the impression I was left with.

For now, I didn't make a huge deal out of it since I want to make sure they fix the more serious issues (like a wire sticking out of nowhere in the passenger wheel?!). Ideas/feedback on how best to deal with this appreciated!

This is why everyone should be rejecting vehicles that aren’t to their satisfaction.

Tesla does a terrible job with post-Sales service and the only way for them to get the message is having to scrap these turds they are rolling off the assembly line.

This behavior should not be a surprise to anyone who has dealt with them from 2017-present.

So.... just to be clear... you are saying anyone who has the rear seat alignment issue should reject the car? Wow...

BTW, not everyone has experienced "behavior" while dealing with Tesla.

Reactions: Danny Brown
So.... just to be clear... you are saying anyone who has the rear seat alignment issue should reject the car? Wow...

Please re-read my post. I said anyone who is not satisfied with their vehicle at delivery.

That could be any number of issues. Having dealt with Tesla for 5+ years I would not want to deal with their stance du jour when it comes to fixing post-delivery issues that should never have existed to begin with.

Dropped my car off yesterday, as many others I listed the rear seat alignment as one of the issues I found during delivery, which I think is quite obvious.

The rear seats was the first thing the Service Rep. asked me about and he initially seemed to act as if what I was pointing out was expected and not a common complaint, even though anyone following here has seen this before. While my car's seats aren't as bad as some of the pics I've seen here, there's still a visible "jump" from one section of folding seats to the passenger rear seat.

I'm writing because the Service Rep clearly stated he would mark it as an issue but it was unlikely Tesla would be willing to fix it. That came as a really big surprise to me. Has anyone else experienced something similar? I wonder if the sheer number of people experiencing this means Tesla is reluctant to address the less serious cases, or at least that was the impression I was left with.

For now, I didn't make a huge deal out of it since I want to make sure they fix the more serious issues (like a wire sticking out of nowhere in the passenger wheel?!). Ideas/feedback on how best to deal with this appreciated!
Others have reported they fixed this. Maybe you should push if needed.

On the Y they offered me the rear passenger seat back was an inch higher than the other two seats.
When I pointed this out the SC declared that within spec....!

Some forum members are saying the seat alignment issue has been fixed at the factory on newer builds.
As it turned out there were so many other non fixable issues I rejected that car, and I'll get to see in a couple weeks if the seat issue is still present 10,000 VINs later.

Yup, poor owner who has mismatched white paint has been told by the SC there's nothing they will do. See his youtube? A body shop measured the paint on his car and all 4 doors are a different shade of white.

Tesla chalks this up as a SALE

Owner has to live with a car that looks like it has a $350 paint job (Earl Schieb anyone who remembers?)

“I’ll paint any car, any color, for $99.95! No ups, no extras!” Haha!!

• Love
Reactions: raggedy
On the Y they offered me the rear passenger seat back was an inch higher than the other two seats.
When I pointed this out the SC declared that within spec....!

Some forum members are saying the seat alignment issue has been fixed at the factory on newer builds.
As it turned out there were so many other non fixable issues I rejected that car, and I'll get to see in a couple weeks if the seat issue is still present 10,000 VINs later.

Still present in the 17,000's vin. I'm picking up a 23,400 tomorrow and will check. I expect the rear seat alignment issue to be there as well judging from YouTube videos.

Others have shown that the passenger side seat was indeed taller than the middle seat, but it matched the driver side rear seat height so at least they were symmetrical. So you had the two outboard seats being slightly higher than the center seat.. it actually looked kind of cool. Not cool if all three rear seats have different heights though and Tesla says it's "within spec". It seems any part that is actually on the car and functioning is "within spec" nowadays regardless of the aesthetics. :(

I am taking mine in next week along a dent on the passengers door, misaligned taillights, steering wheel that is off center to the right. Tesla Service called me and during the conversation said it is a "known issue and there is a fix for the misaligned rear seat" he said they had to get the serial number from the seat before it can be fixed.

@CaliX FYI steering wheel fix is a full realignment. I thought it was just remove and reset wheel. Took them a good hour with my car just for the steering being off. Is yours also off to right on the display when lane keeping? Even the display showed the steering wheel alignment off for me.

@CaliX FYI steering wheel fix is a full realignment. I thought it was just remove and reset wheel. Took them a good hour with my car just for the steering being off. Is yours also off to right on the display when lane keeping? Even the display showed the steering wheel alignment off for me.

I will look today and where do I find the steering wheel in the display. Still learning everything.

At least Earl would paint the cars with the doors on, but then again, his shops didn't such a crap job on masking that they would get paint all over the rubber seals and the orange peel was awful.

I posted this in another thread, and it shows a car being painted with the doors ON. I can't imagine which Tesla "engineer" decided and approved painting the doors separate from the unibody. I guess "good enough" must have been the motto when they were given directives to get the MY out the doors for Elon's quarterly number goals.