Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service + Diagnostics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it standard operating procedure for a Tesla with an AC issue to have a diagnostic check that lasts more than 24 hours at the service station?

After my Tesla had sat in the hot sun all day at work, I began to drive home when an alert noted that the AC was not working and that service was required. The AC did begin working again later that evening, but after calling Tesla's national service phone number and reviewing discussions online, it was recommended that I take the car in for a diagnostic review as this issue can be intermittent and potentially significant.

I scheduled a 10:00 a.m. appointment, but upon arrival, they were not able to offer a loaner car. I waited for nearly four hours only to be told they were extremely busy and that they now had a loaner car. They would alert me once they had an update, essentially telling me to go home and that they would let me know more tomorrow.

Fast-forward 24 hours.... the app remains unchanged, noting "Preparing" when reviewing the "Repair Progress" section.

When I inquired about a status update, I was told that running diagnostics takes a while and that I must be patient.

Thank you for any insight!

They probably havent started working on your car yet. Thats the simplest explanation. Nothing you can do to make them work "faster" though. None of us know what they had in front of you as far as service jobs go, or how many techs they have that are capable of working on your issue, etc.
I appreciate the response. Thank you. Occam's Razor - the most likely explanation is the explanation. That said, my loyalty is built through candor, not necessarily efficiency. I would greatly value the service department's candor if, in fact, they are unable to get to it. However, why schedule an appointment if you cannot get to the car in 24- hours? Rhetorical question, and thank you for the quick response.

I appreciate the response. Thank you. Occam's Razor - the most likely explanation is the explanation. That said, my loyalty is built through candor, not necessarily efficiency. I would greatly value the service department's candor if, in fact, they are unable to get to it. However, why schedule an appointment if you cannot get to the car in 24- hours? Rhetorical question, and thank you for the quick response.

Im pretty sure that non working AC is considered an issue that they need to "squeeze you in" for, whether they have time for it or not. In general, I also would prefer candor. when they saw you sitting there (it sounds like you were trying to wait for the car), someone should have come out and basically "shooed you away" by telling you something like "We are working as fast as we can but I am not sure when we will be able to get to this, it may not be till tomorrow sometime".

Of course, if they told most people that, and also said "sorry we dont have a loaner", they would generally be in for a knockdown drag out fight with "let me talk to the manager please, this is unacceptable" from most people so they probably have learned to avoid that confrontation due to repeatedly being bashed over the head about it.

I dont work for Tesla or anything though, I just have a lot of experience with customer service / support roles in general.

Im pretty sure that non working AC is considered an issue that they need to "squeeze you in" for, whether they have time for it or not. In general, I also would prefer candor. when they saw you sitting there (it sounds like you were trying to wait for the car), someone should have come out and basically "shooed you away" by telling you something like "We are working as fast as we can but I am not sure when we will be able to get to this, it may not be till tomorrow sometime".

Of course, if they told most people that, and also said "sorry we dont have a loaner", they would generally be in for a knockdown drag out fight with "let me talk to the manager please, this is unacceptable" from most people so they probably have learned to avoid that confrontation due to repeatedly being bashed over the head about it.

I dont work for Tesla or anything though, I just have a lot of experience with customer service / support roles in general.
Long and short, it sounds like I only have a gripe if they don't have an update by Friday. Otherwise, enjoy the loaner and deal with it. I will say, this is an abnormal service experience for me. The ambiguity is new to me.

Long and short, it sounds like I only have a gripe if they don't have an update by Friday. Otherwise, enjoy the loaner and deal with it. I will say, this is an abnormal service experience for me. The ambiguity is new to me.
As you haven’t even noted the age or even model of your car it’s hard to judge the service performance. As they gave you a loaner it’s seems they provided the best and most viable solution to minimize your situation.