Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Going Downhill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I donā€™t see a Tesla as a luxury brand, especially the M3 and MY. I wouldnā€™t expect a luxury car for $47k, less than $40k if you qualify for the tax credit.
You realize BMW sells entry-level vehicles <$40K as well, right?

I donā€™t consider Tesla to be a luxury brand either, but that is how they position themselves and thatā€™s who their competition is.

Reactions: electricar
I donā€™t see a Tesla as a luxury brand, especially the M3 and MY. I wouldnā€™t expect a luxury car for $47k, less than $40k if you qualify for the tax credit.

I strongly disagree. They didn't start out selling M3 and MY's they started out selling Roadsters and MX and MS for north of $80K.

Is RIvian a luxury brand with their trucks that are $90K+? Will they not be a luxury brand when they start selling their version of the M3 and MY the R2?

I really can't stand the Tesla apologists on here who find an excuse for abhorrent behavior. At any price point of vehicle, the customer deserves to be treated with respect and to receive even average customer service and this is rarely the case with Tesla.

They care about the bottom line more than they care about customer experience. You can see it in the DNA of every decision they make from removing USS and Radar to the stalks in the new Model X/S to cheaping out on the "performance" brakes in the MY.

As long as they have healthy demand, they won't change because they don't need to change. When all the OEMS play catch up and they will, especially since Elon sold the farm when he opened up the Tesla network, incentivizing people to buy other brands because they get what everyone universally covets about Tesla - the network - then they will be forced to improve because they won't be the only viable game in town anymore.

Fun fact, the word ā€œluxuryā€ appears essentially nowhere on Teslaā€™s entire web presence except the names of charging locations.

Fun Fact - everyone else thinks Tesla is a luxury brand.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD
I disagree. It's not that the non-dealership model is a bad idea for the consumer, it's that Tesla's non-dealership are overloaded and there aren't enough of them.

There are lazy, lying, consumer unfriendly employees at dealerships too.

Stealerships are the absolute worst, but at least there is a facade of customer service. I feel like the CEO values matter more for Tesla than any other brand given how visible and larger than life Elon is.

Look at the way he treats people generally - especially the poor bastards at Twitter - and tell me that you don't think that permeates through all of Tesla?

The thought of visiting a Tesla service center makes me anxious. My lack of trust in their competence and honesty makes me want to avoid the experience all together. My history with them include work done not actually being performed, damage done during service, outrageous quotes for warranty work, service request being canceled for no reason. There seems to be little oversight or accountability for anything that happens there. I hope Elon is correct in his vision of building a car that does not need service. However I don't se this happening when this is an obvious source of revenue for the company when out of warranty. My bumper to bumper is expired on my 19M3P, and the battery and powertrain coverage is vague at best. I don't know if i would own a Testa out of warranty given the Service, and makes me question keeping my car moving forward.

This is the frustration with Tesla ownership. The vehicle, when it is working as intended, is fantastic. The moment you have an issue, the *sugar* hits the fan and it becomes a nearly universally miserable experience all the way around.

It doesn't have to be this way. If Tesla raised rates for service 50% and let you talk to a human being, receive ACTUAL customer service, and employed people who were competent and cared about their work and treated customers how they wanted to be treated I would pay it in a heartbeat to know that I could have a predictable service experience.

You ****ing roll the dice every single time with Tesla service. Every single time. It doesn't have to be that way.

Reactions: drunkenbuda
Fun Fact - everyone else thinks Tesla is a luxury brand.

We could make a book of things ā€œeveryone thinksā€ in Americaā€¦ it would be a hell of a read.

Also Iā€™m confused by this and your post in the other threadā€¦ is Tesla the best selling luxury brand in the country or are they on the precipice of inevitable doom with the competition absolutely eating their lunch? You seem to want it both ways. šŸ˜‚

We could make a book of things ā€œeveryone thinksā€ in Americaā€¦ it would be a hell of a read.

Also Iā€™m confused by this and your post in the other threadā€¦ is Tesla the best selling luxury brand in the country or are they on the precipice of inevitable doom with the competition absolutely eating their lunch? You seem to want it both ways. šŸ˜‚
I'm not sure what is confusing about what I posted. I said that Tesla currently has healthy demand so they have no incentive to change until competition catches up - and it will - because Tesla opened up one of its most precious assets - the Supercharger network.

Reading comprehension much?

I hope you enjoy being cock blocked at a Supercharger next year by a ****ing Chevy Bolt.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird

Ryan Shaw - Tesla Owner and a quarter of a million subscribers.

"Teslas are considered luxury cars."

I'm not sure what is confusing about what I posted. I said that Tesla currently has healthy demand so they have no incentive to change until competition catches up - and it will - because Tesla opened up one of its most precious assets - the Supercharger network.

I hope you enjoy being cock blocked at a Supercharger next year by a ****ing Chevy Bolt.

I'm sorry for whatever bad experience you had with Tesla service. No one deserves that. It's clear you're pretty angry. That type of angry speech on these forums doesn't do anyone any good though.

Tesla has only been considered "luxury" because of the price tag, and because their vehicles were less common. The company's stated goal though is to be a mass market auto manufacturer. That's not typically luxury.

I actually had to look up the definition of luxury. It essentially means "comfort and extravagance". Whether or not Tesla fits that definition is subjective. I've really only owned mainstream vehicles, so I'm not a good judge. The technology of the Model 3 feels like luxury to me.

At this time, they've probably hurt luxury brands like Audi, BMW, Acura, Lexus sales the most (just a guess) - but their trajectory is pointed at Ford and GM. There are many people on these forums that have driven luxury vehicles and switched to Tesla - they'll agree that their Tesla is much less "luxury" than previous vehicles from BMW, etc... but that Tesla wins overall.

It seems like this thread has become an argument, but I suspect that we're actually all in agreement more than we might realize:
  • Tesla service has room for improvement in some ways, but is also better than traditional dealerships/mechanics in some ways.
  • Elon Musk has had some seriously positive impacts on human technology and culture, but he's also done some things that we all really wish he hadn't.
  • Tesla's vehicles aren't perfect, but they have leapfrogged every single auto manufacturer in the world with their vehicles.
Hopefully, all other auto manufacturers see Tesla as the minimum standard to improve upon - to the benefit of all of us.

Ah yes. Now weā€™re whining about the inevitable doom of the supercharger network that weā€™ve been talking about for a decade. Yes, its demise is going to come at the hands of the 175,000 TOTAL Chevy Bolts on the road in the US. Not the 500,000 cars Tesla produces every quarter. šŸ˜‚

Some people just need something to whine about and a reason to be angry. Iā€™m sorry Elon hurt you, but only you can be the change you seek. Sounds like youā€™ll be very happy blocking a supercharger with your bigDEV energy in another brand. Chop chop sport, get to it!

Reactions: Yelobird
I'm sorry for whatever bad experience you had with Tesla service. No one deserves that. It's clear you're pretty angry. That type of angry speech on these forums doesn't do anyone any good though.

Tesla has only been considered "luxury" because of the price tag, and because their vehicles were less common. The company's stated goal though is to be a mass market auto manufacturer. That's not typically luxury.

I actually had to look up the definition of luxury. It essentially means "comfort and extravagance". Whether or not Tesla fits that definition is subjective. I've really only owned mainstream vehicles, so I'm not a good judge. The technology of the Model 3 feels like luxury to me.

At this time, they've probably hurt luxury brands like Audi, BMW, Acura, Lexus sales the most (just a guess) - but their trajectory is pointed at Ford and GM. There are many people on these forums that have driven luxury vehicles and switched to Tesla - they'll agree that their Tesla is much less "luxury" than previous vehicles from BMW, etc... but that Tesla wins overall.

It seems like this thread has become an argument, but I suspect that we're actually all in agreement more than we might realize:
  • Tesla service has room for improvement in some ways, but is also better than traditional dealerships/mechanics in some ways.
  • Elon Musk has had some seriously positive impacts on human technology and culture, but he's also done some things that we all really wish he hadn't.
  • Tesla's vehicles aren't perfect, but they have leapfrogged every single auto manufacturer in the world with their vehicles.
Hopefully, all other auto manufacturers see Tesla as the minimum standard to improve upon - to the benefit of all of us.

Please point exactly to my "angry speech." Everything I said was factual based on experience.

You sort of forgot that Tesla does not have dealerships. In a dealership the dealer is reimbursed by the manufacturer for repairs, so it is in their best interest to be customer service oriented. In the case of a Tesla SC, these are cost centers and I suggest cost avoidance is the goal.

The non-dealership model turns out to be a bad idea for the consumer.
As someone who spent many years in the service end of the car business I can assure you that the OEMs ( especially the German manufacturers ) do everything possible to avoid paying the dealers for warranty work. As an example if the manufacturer does an audit of the service department and decides that a specific repair order will not be paid by them because they deem the work to not qualify as warranty they then take a multiple of that amount from the holdback under the assumption that they paid for other similar repair orders that also did not qualify. The dealers that I worked for would have liked to do more to help customers but also wouldnā€™t pay for it out of their own pocket so ā€œ could not duplicate customerā€™s complaint ā€œ was the order of the day. Personally I think the dealership is an inefficient business model on the way out.

Last edited:
Reactions: father_of_6
Ah yes. Now weā€™re whining about the inevitable doom of the supercharger network that weā€™ve been talking about for a decade. Yes, its demise is going to come at the hands of the 175,000 TOTAL Chevy Bolts on the road in the US. Not the 500,000 cars Tesla produces every quarter. šŸ˜‚

Some people just need something to whine about and a reason to be angry. Iā€™m sorry Elon hurt you, but only you can be the change you seek. Sounds like youā€™ll be very happy blocking a supercharger with your bigDEV energy in another brand. Chop chop sport, get to it!

Am I missing something, or are you actually making my point for me. First off, there are far more EVs on the road that will now have access to the SC network than the Chevy Bolt - that was just my favorite example. Across all OEMs, close to 1M.

Tesla is delivering 500K per quarter and SC stations already have lines of Teslas waiting in parts of the country and next year every Chevy Bolt and their Uncle is going to be trying to charge at SC stations with their ports in the wrong location and blocking multiple chargers.

Really love chatting with you since you make my points better than I do.

Keep up the good work.

Please point exactly to my "angry speech." Everything I said was factual based on experience.

All of it really. These forums are typically educational, fun, and social chit-chat and banter. The implied tone of your posts is super-argumentative and is killing the party.

Nobody "wins" an argument on here... everyone loses, even those that weren't arguing. I sincerely hope we can keep things cordial and continue to be friends. Attacks of any kind are damaging.

Am I missing something, or are you actually making my point for me. First off, there are far more EVs on the road that will now have access to the SC network than the Chevy Bolt - that was just my favorite example. Across all OEMs, close to 1M.

Tesla is delivering 500K per quarter and SC stations already have lines of Teslas waiting in parts of the country and next year every Chevy Bolt and their Uncle is going to be trying to charge at SC stations with their ports in the wrong location and blocking multiple chargers.

Really love chatting with you since you make my points better than I do.

Keep up the good work.
My last post to you as the only objective you seem to be serving here is to let everyone know how Very Unhappy(tm) you are about the Tesla you donā€™t even own:

My point was to illustrate that if youā€™re clutching your pearls about supercharger overcrowding, youā€™re getting mad at the wrong thing. Tesla sells more cars in the US in a quarter than every other EV manufacturer combined does in an entire year. If youā€™re gonna be waiting for a car at a supercharger station, itā€™s gonna be the countless other Teslas getting cranked out every day. Everything else is a drop in the bucket.

I live in the ā€œparts of the countryā€ youā€™re referring to. Based on your posting history and profile you donā€™t even own a Tesla so have never supercharged, let alone waited in a line. Youā€™re just spewing hyperbolic nonsense in a self-serving confirmation bias feedback loop to make sure you feel smug and satisfied about your decision to not own a Tesla. With all respect due given your general attitude and demeanor, youā€™d be better served to yell into your echo chamber somewhere else.

Yeah, Elon is a verifiable psychopath. Yeah, service is hit or miss. Yeah, Tesla doesnā€™t give two squirts about cupping your balls the way Porsche or Mercedes do. If you value that, theyā€™re happy to take your money and their forums will be more than happy to entertain your unhinged posts about how bad Tesla is - or so youā€™ve heard.

So get on with it.