Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Going Downhill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my 2019 M3 in for service because the front left control arm was squeaking.

I drove 45 minutes to the service center and after the diagnostic test drive I was told that they will keep my car for two days and Tesla will not provide me a loaner vehicle or Uber credit since my car is out of warranty (warranty ended 24 days ago). I talked to the service manager and he said this is new Tesla policy and I have to find my own transportation. What infuriated me is that the service message tab in the app did not mention anything about this and left me essentially stranded at the tesla service center an hour away from home.

I have previously been to the service center for warrantied service and was provided both the loaner and Uber credit.

lol my previous warrantied service visits were great. I was offered a loaner and Uber credits at each appointment even when the repair time was a few hours. Sadly that service center has been turned into a new delivery only location

Took my 2019 M3 in for service because the front left control arm was squeaking.

I drove 45 minutes to the service center and after the diagnostic test drive I was told that they will keep my car for two days and Tesla will not provide me a loaner vehicle or Uber credit since my car is out of warranty (warranty ended 24 days ago).
Is this your first new car?

Go to GM or Ford and ask for a loaner when you're in warranty. If your lucky you'll get one but not always.

Getting a loaner isn’t a realistic expectation IME. But I do get the impression it takes a lot longer to get anything done at a Tesla service center, every time I visit our local SC the lot is full of cars waiting for service, some have obviously been sitting there for weeks. Parts availability for Teslas seem to be far inferior to legacy automakers from what I read as well?

Getting a loaner isn’t a realistic expectation IME. But I do get the impression it takes a lot longer to get anything done at a Tesla service center, every time I visit our local SC the lot is full of cars waiting for service, some have obviously been sitting there for weeks. Parts availability for Teslas seem to be far inferior to legacy automakers from what I read as well?
You can read Many theories on the internet. My Ford has been waiting on 2 parts for near 2 months now. Don’t think it’s just a “Tesla” thing. And for what it’s worth they laughed when I asked about a loaner.

Reactions: electricar
You can read Many theories on the internet. My Ford has been waiting on 2 parts for near 2 months now. Don’t think it’s just a “Tesla” thing. And for what it’s worth they laughed when I asked about a loaner.
Are you driving your Ford while you are waiting for parts, or is it sitting on their lot? I ask because there are more Teslas sitting on the SC lot nearest me than I have ever seen at any car dealer in my life. I notice every time I visit the SC, and it's clear from how dirty the cars are they've been there for quite a while. Honestly, just asking. I wonder if I'm more likely to be without a car with Tesla vs legacy automakers.

Are you driving your Ford while you are waiting for parts, or is it sitting on their lot? I ask because there are more Teslas sitting on the SC lot nearest me than I have ever seen at any car dealer in my life. I notice every time I visit the SC, and it's clear from how dirty the cars are they've been there for quite a while. Honestly, just asking. I wonder if I'm more likely to be without a car with Tesla vs legacy automakers.
Because a car is sitting on a lot how are you Assuming they are all in for repair? You realize they take in Thousands of Teslas on trade and don’t have a used car lot. When they group “X” amount they are sent to the next auction. At least that’s what I was told when I asked vs assumed why they were there. So many things Tesla related are often assumed internet theory. Most are incorrect from what I see.

Regarding the Ford. (Had the same with our Honda Touring) since new and Dozens of shop recalls and visits they never once offered a loaner or other. Mind you that was a 78k vehicle not that it matters but pretty much the industry standard. I did get several cups of black coffee though.

Tesla hasn't scaled it's service centers to match it's growth in sales. I've never expected a loaner at any service center in my life until I bought a Model 3... because the only place that can service the car is 1.5 hours away and they may want to keep your car for a few days because they're overloaded.

For all other manufacturers (dealerships actually), service is a profit center. For Tesla, the service center is a cost. They're trying to reduce the costs as much as possible. This is why it's difficult to talk to anyone on the phone, and often the only employee you'll see is a sales person.

Because a car is sitting on a lot how are you Assuming they are all in for repair? You realize they take in Thousands of Teslas on trade and don’t have a used car lot. When they group “X” amount they are sent to the next auction. At least that’s what I was told when I asked vs assumed why they were there. So many things Tesla related are often assumed internet theory. Most are incorrect from what I see.
OK, I hadn’t thought of that. But if they’re mostly trade ins, why are they almost all Teslas? Surely people trade in other makes. Again, all I’m trying to understand is am I more likely to be without a car if my Tesla breaks down (such that it can’t be driven) versus legacy auto? If I can still drive while waiting for parts, and Tesla takes longer, that’s not the same issue.

Back when we were first driving a 2018 M3 around, Tesla was pretty quick on handing out loaners. By late 2019 this was a lot less common.

Then the car blew the pyro fuse (short in the wiring harness somewhere), once that was diagnosed, the SC stopped handing out Uber credits and gave us a loaner.

So: Then, as now, It Varies. I imagine if one is out of warranty it varies even more.

By the by: Had a front control arm squeak repaired by a mobile tech about two weeks ago. The fellow showed up, said it was his first time doing this kind of repair, and had both upper control arms R&R's in about two hours; he was a lot faster on the second one than the first.

I did give him some plywood to put under his jack as he lifted first one side, then the other.

That, in my opinion, is a lot more fun than leaving the car at the SC for a couple of days.

The thought of visiting a Tesla service center makes me anxious. My lack of trust in their competence and honesty makes me want to avoid the experience all together. My history with them include work done not actually being performed, damage done during service, outrageous quotes for warranty work, service request being canceled for no reason. There seems to be little oversight or accountability for anything that happens there. I hope Elon is correct in his vision of building a car that does not need service. However I don't se this happening when this is an obvious source of revenue for the company when out of warranty. My bumper to bumper is expired on my 19M3P, and the battery and powertrain coverage is vague at best. I don't know if i would own a Testa out of warranty given the Service, and makes me question keeping my car moving forward.

Last edited:
Is this your first new car?

Go to GM or Ford and ask for a loaner when you're in warranty. If your lucky you'll get one but not always.

Why would you compare Tesla to Ford or GM???

Tesla is a luxury brand. Go to BMW, Mercedes, Infinity, Acura - or any other luxury brand and you will absolutely get a loaner, be treated with respect, and generally not be dealing with some smug, indifferent millennial more interested in their TikTok feed then your car service.

Why would you compare Tesla to Ford or GM???

You sort of forgot that Tesla does not have dealerships. In a dealership the dealer is reimbursed by the manufacturer for repairs, so it is in their best interest to be customer service oriented. In the case of a Tesla SC, these are cost centers and I suggest cost avoidance is the goal.

The non-dealership model turns out to be a bad idea for the consumer.

Reactions: BigDEV