Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service improvements at Tesla body shop in Detroit area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had my rear bumper replaced on my Model 3 at Cauley Ferrari in West Bloomfield, Michigan. The shop did great work on the vehicle but during that process I had some issues with getting in touch with the front office of the body shop. It was difficult to get through to them by phone, and updates from the staff were spotty. I had the best luck going there in person for updates, which isn't a big deal for me because I work close by, but could be a major hurdle for others.

I wanted to let everyone know that I got in direct contact with the owner and explained the communication issues and some suggestions for improvement. He said he will begin working on improvements to that aspect of the body shop next week. I am optimistic that things will get better over the next few months for anyone who finds themselves needing work.

Thanks for this info. Recently I had my wheels rotated by Tesla Mobile Service. The Service Tech, Patrick, indicated that there is only 1 Tesla certified body shop in the area and Cauley Ferrari is it.
So thanks again for going the extra mile to communicate with the owner and give that valuable feedback. No doubt you are paving a clear path for the next Tesla owners.

I got the sense that they were used to doing low volume business until a lot of Model 3's were being sold. If you think about it, a Ferrari is like a 4th car for a lot of owners. They want a good job done, and are more likel y to be ok with open ended repair jobs on a car they drive twice a month. They can drop it off and say "call me when it's done" and then just drive their Range Rover or whatever.

Even a Model S or X is likely to be in a 3 car household for a lot of people, and even if not, how many are there really in Michigan? That was likely a low volume body shop until about a year ago when you could actually get a Model 3, and especially this year when they could be had with a short ordering time.

When the customer's primary vehicle is not functional and there is a well known long wait for parts, that customer is more concerned about good communication and regular updates than many Ferrari owners might be.