Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service issues finally caught up to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when I used the app to schedule service, there was never a choice for SC or rangers.

how do you end up with a ranger visit? is that based on the SC reading your report and then suggesting it?

I would have been fine with a ranger, but then again, suspension stuff sounds like it needs a real lift.
Not everything can be fixed by the mobile tech so yes it depends on what the issue is then they decide which way to go.

Mechanics or technicians get paid the same whether it's in/out of warranty. Tesla is in the business to make money not just give it away. If it's a warranty repair it should be covered but if it's out of warranty then they can charge what they like and either we pay or we don't. Can you really blame a company for wanting to make money or should they just cover everything on every car for free just because you think it's a good idea?

I wasn't talking about the technicians. It's the dealer who doesn't want to do warranty work. If it gets to the mechanic, you're golden, but the service writers try and stop it from getting there because they cherry-pick the more-profitable out-of-warranty jobs. They make it seem like you're crazy and that your problem is either "normal" or they can't replicate it. They frustrate you to the point where you just give-up.

when I used the app to schedule service, there was never a choice for SC or rangers.

how do you end up with a ranger visit? is that based on the SC reading your report and then suggesting it?

I would have been fine with a ranger, but then again, suspension stuff sounds like it needs a real lift.

In the past, I would schedule a SC appointment online then call the SC to request a Ranger. They would read my online request then forward to the person who schedules Rangers to make a new appointment.... very convoluted, but it worked.

I have no idea how to get a Ranger today since the SC no longer answers the phone.

In the past, I would schedule a SC appointment online then call the SC to request a Ranger. They would read my online request then forward to the person who schedules Rangers to make a new appointment.... very convoluted, but it worked.

I have no idea how to get a Ranger today since the SC no longer answers the phone.
Schedule the service via the app and they will determine if its mobile or sc and notify you

After reading all of these, only one conclusion, service really sucks now all over the country. That comment about dirt in the wheel was laughable, pure bs, big rock maybe
I had text messages fight with Ranger dispatcher in Runnell , Iowa. She refused to send ranger to my work place to test my coolant system. Insisted I had to go to SC . Then sent me a$500 invoice to sign telling me what part was inop. So, she could read error codes and tell me.
They want u in Sc to tell u what fuse is bad.
By the way, if u need an alignment, find a shop in town that has a Hunter Hawkeye Elite. Cost $80, not $180. I called Hunter to confirm. I took my car in. Guy was great, failed car. I needed tie rod end and ball joint. NO CHARGE. There was only one shop in northern Florida.

update on my service: it went well. the SA guy was nice, he didn't offer uber credits at first, I asked him just to book me a ride there and one back when the car is ready and I'll be good. he did that. I had to remind him for the return trip, but he called an uber for me and that all worked. so, the sunnyvale location does know how to book you an uber without you having to install the app. I do appreciate the extra effort they went thru on the uber thing.

the car was in for almost exactly 1 day (about noon till noon the next day). they replaced sway bar links and when I got the car back, the clicking noise was gone. I am not sure yet, but the front end seems more tight or responsive, now. very slightly, but I think this was good on several counts. I searched the net for this topic and, yes, it seems that it happens on many makes and models. don't know why, but it happens - so I do believe their explanation.

when I was there, another customer was asking for a loaner and the SA was trying to gently explain that 'that ship has sailed, this is the new bigger tesla' (or to that effect, those were not his words, lol). so, even though some SCs might be giving out loaners, I expect ALL of that to go away. I don't think the uber-credit thing is a california thing; I think its a deliberate direction and I'm not sure they plan to return to the loaner concept. with the Y coming soon, there will be even more traffic (lol) at the SCs and if they can't keep up now, well ...

anyway, other than the uber thing, I give them a good rating for this visit. it was minor, true, but it was handled well. no charge, warranty coverage for this one.

if the issue returns (it has, for many posters, I've learned) - I'll update again.

“Up till now my experiances have been pretty good”..... sounds like high success rate to me.

Of course, regardless of 100 good service experiences, it’s the one bad one that gets us talking about “bad” services
The point is that Tesla service used to be great, it's been sliding downhill for a couple of years now. Service was what kept me coming back to Tesla (got 4 Model S's), deteriorating service and cheaping out on warranty claims is what keeps me from buying more.

I wonder what the real reason for not having a loaner program, anymore, is.

- cost?

- image? this could be part of it; they want to be seen as the newcomer and not same as other car companies

elon might really think that its 'fine and ok' for the average customer to take uber credits. maybe he really thinks that he can start a trend and make it cool.

it will never be cool, in my mind. I'm not a millennial and have no great love for the uber/lyft stuff. I bought a car so I could drive it, and each day I'm without it, its a huge inconvenience.

and yes, the cost of a rental is not THAT much - but it also depends on how long you are going to be without your own car; and arranging your own rental, off-site, is an even bigger time-waster for us.

I wonder what the real reason for not having a loaner program, anymore, is.

- cost?

- image? this could be part of it; they want to be seen as the newcomer and not same as other car companies

elon might really think that its 'fine and ok' for the average customer to take uber credits. maybe he really thinks that he can start a trend and make it cool.

it will never be cool, in my mind. I'm not a millennial and have no great love for the uber/lyft stuff. I bought a car so I could drive it, and each day I'm without it, its a huge inconvenience.

and yes, the cost of a rental is not THAT much - but it also depends on how long you are going to be without your own car; and arranging your own rental, off-site, is an even bigger time-waster for us.
Elon told people on multiple occasions that everyone will get a P100D loaner when in service, so no, it's not an image thing. It's purely money, nothing else. Same reason why they find new ways to limit warranties, take away features when cars are sold, charge people diagnostic fees, etc - welcome to Elon's laser focus on profitability.