Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Set up and Partition Samsung T7 SS Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JMGNC

Jan 27, 2023
NC
Could not find this covered elsewhere so I'm posting fresh. Any help appreciated. Using a Samsung T7 drive for sentry and media. It is out of the box formatted exFAT. From what I've read here, I need to create two partitions and created folders TESLACAM and TESLAMUSIC respectively (correct?). I cannot partition exFAT format on my MAC using disk utility. Is there an alternate way to do this? Also, there are three preinstalled files on the disk. I assume I need to remove those before doing anything (correct?). I do not have my MYLR yet so I don't know if I can partition the drive and create folders on the car's interface (which would resolve my issue). I suspect not. Newbe here so be gentle :)

Did you check this similar thread and the link in post 2 that someone says they used?

Followup. I followed most of the instructions listed in the reference above for MAC OS. It worked but I need to receive my MY to know if it really worked. I ignored the instruction regarding Boombox, requiring using the terminal command because I believe this feature is no longer active (PWS). The Samsung SS Drive comes formatted exFAT but MAC OS Disk Utility will not partition the disk in that format. So essentially, you erase the disk while reformatting in a MAC compatible format. Then you create the partitions. Then you erase again while reformatting back to exFAT. Done.