Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting max speed limit while driving

Do you want a feature to help you regard speed limits when you want it?

• Yes

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good.
I can think of a dozen+ scenarios where being unable to accelerate out of an unsafe traffic situation would be undesirable and perilous.
That they're plausible doesn't make them likely or realistic. You can think of them, but I've never encountered them, in my decades of driving.

Maybe the speed limiter can be defeated by heavy throttle input and/or kick-down. But I don't know, because I haven't ever needed to do that.

Other realistic on-road scenarios that prevent instant-acceleration, yet doesn't lead to (preventable) accidents: hoopty cars; manual cars in tall gears; turbo lag; or combination of all those.

Too bad Volvo, aka Geely, still has it.
One of the most safety-centric manufacturers. If theyre okay with it, maybe they're onto something.

afadeev said:
Good.
I can think of a dozen+ scenarios where being unable to accelerate out of an unsafe traffic situation would be undesirable and perilous.

That they're plausible doesn't make them likely or realistic. You can think of them, but I've never encountered them, in my decades of driving.

I don't know where you live or how you drive, but if you ever get to drive in The City, squeezing into and out of congested lanes, or out of the path of a rapidly braking taxi cabs that spotted a fare, is a fact of life. Daily. Repeatedly.

When you merge into a faster lane, you need to accelerate into the empty space and upto the prevailing speed in that lane, or a touch faster if you need to catch up to the empty space.
If none of the above makes sense to you - congratulations - you've never driven in a congested City environment, or are one of the snails who gets stuck in a stopped lane and just sits there, indefinitely.

If I was ever prevented from making a safe and rapid lane merge by some artificial limiter, that would suck a LOT.

YMMV,
a

I don't know where you live or how you drive, but if you ever get to drive in The City, squeezing into and out of congested lanes, or out of the path of a rapidly braking taxi cabs that spotted a fare, is a fact of life. Daily. Repeatedly.

When you merge into a faster lane, you need to accelerate into the empty space and upto the prevailing speed in that lane, or a touch faster if you need to catch up to the empty space.
If none of the above makes sense to you - congratulations - you've never driven in a congested City environment, or are one of the snails who gets stuck in a stopped lane and just sits there, indefinitely.

If I was ever prevented from making a safe and rapid lane merge by some artificial limiter, that would suck a LOT.

YMMV,
a

The most apt scenario for it I've described in a post upthread: rural highways, where cruising through towns brings on lower limits, but you still want manual drive against the light traffic and obstacles like roundabouts.

The limiter is a kissing-cousin to cruise control. It wouldnt be used where you wouldnt use CC - e.g. dense inner city like NYC. actually, in a place like that, id take a taxi :)

YMMV,
a

Yes, I understand that. A multi lane busy city road might not be the environment where you choose to activate this feature. I lived in Denver, CO, for three years. It is more a suburbia feature. Still, I would set the limit to 55 km/h in a 50km/h zone. Allowing me to go a bit faster, but not much. And it would definitely be a feature you need to be able to activate and deactivate very easily. As easy as turning on and off autopilot.

The App does. Controls > Speed Limit Mode -- set your speed limit.

Yes, I found that. This an overall speed limit. You cannot adjust it when you are driving from a 35 mph zone into a 25 mph zone. And those are the once where you encounter children. I really don’t care about someone driving 90 mph on an empty freeway. Not much harm there. But you never know when an ankle biter is running from behind some parked car....

I had speed limiter and dumb CC in my previous car.
I've used CC even in cities as I've found speed limiter to be dangerous. Once I've set it to 70 and drove around forgetting about it being active. Later I wanted to overtake someone and of course reached 70 just as I was beside him on the left lane and car stopped accelerating. Not a good feeling, never used it again.

I have my M3 for 3 months and I'm surprising myself how good I am at reaching and holding speed limit.
Without any conscious effort and any looking at speedo I'm able to observe the limit within few percents.
TACC is also totally usable on surface roads.

Reactions: Gondi63
Hi, I just sold my Volvo V60 plug-in hybride and got a Model 3. I love Tesla’s take on the concept ‘car’. It allows for more and more features to become available over time.

One of the features I liked in the Volvo and am missing in the M3 is being able to set a max speed while driving inside city limits. It allows you to drive normally, use the brakes and accelerate, but it would simply not allow you to exceed the set limit, no matter how deep you pressed the gas pedal.

This allowed me not to worry about my heavy right foot and keep all my attention on traffic And potentially crossing children chasing balls or whatever (and not partly on preventing myself from speeding).

It could be as simple as tapping the speed limit sign in the screen.
Or fully automatic as a setting and adapt the max with changing limits on various roads.

As an option, not as a must. It would help me.

Yes, I had that on an old Jaguar many years ago (1991 car). Was very useful to toggle on/off using the stalk in the same way as cruise was on/off.

Was very useful in 'Average Speed' restriction areas/roads with in/out cameras. Get up to the speed, flip the switch, and then carry on driving, without worrying about a letter/fine through the post a week later.

Could carry on breaking/accelerating without it cancelling out like cruise control would. Just needed to flip the stalk with your fingers to cancel out of it.

Not seen it on anything since.