TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Severe lane hugging...

Discussion in 'Model X' started by G1000Pilot, Jul 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. G1000Pilot

G1000Pilot Member

2017.28, latest update. Everything was good yesterday, today, my car is severely on driving on the left or right side, not staying centered. Really strange, I thought it was a autopilot joke or something. I've had several different updates since this 2017.28... update, all were flawless. This was great until about 15 miles ago? Hmmm

2. bcampbelllds

bcampbelllds Member

Just updated to the latest 2017.28 C...... hugs the left lane the entire time. Was fine yesterday on the previous firmware release. Reported to Tesla.

3. animorph

animorph Member

This is one of the reasons why it seems like there is a calibration going on. And maybe in these cases a mis-calibration. Get a bad number in the calibration values (like a number overflow problem, bad initialization, or a random write?) and it doesn't steer well or screws up acceleration/deceleration. Then it takes a while for that bad value to gradually average back to a reasonable value. So maybe it starts nicely, something screws up one of the calibrations, and it doesn't work very well. Or it starts bad and then gets better. Or stays good or stays bad. Lots of bad things can happen when you are using slowly averaged values to adjust operation.

4. G1000Pilot

G1000Pilot Member

Severe lane hugging gone this morning, but after 20 minutes of normal driving (fully marked lanes/highway), out of nowhere my model x swerved into another car (I grabbed the wheel before an accident happened) LOL, I've never experienced any of this kind of behavior with my tesla before. I might upload the dash cam footage. I previously had 17.17.4 and it was pretty good. This update, drives smooth, but out of nowhere turns bipolar?

5. MXwing0

MXwing0 Member

I've noticed whenever this happens on the new update, it's when there is a slight bump in the road that causes the camera to momentarily point skyward like it's lost the lane lines. Then it hard swerves to the right into the other lane. 17.17.17 seemed better in that regard.