Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SGIP Update e-mail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received this e-mail from CSE this afternoon:

Dear TomDiego,

Thank you for submitting the Incentive Claim Form (ICF) documentation for SGIP project SD-SGIP-2017-xxxx for TomDiego.

Within the next couple of weeks, a detailed review of the ICF documentation will be performed to ensure that all program requirements have been satisfied. If it is found that documents are missing or clarifications are needed, a request for this information will be issued and you will have 30 days to submit the missing information. For more information on required ICF documents and submission procedures, please refer to the SGIP Handbook.

Upon receipt of all of the Incentive Claim documents, a third-party entity will conduct an inspection of the SGIP installation to verify that the project is operational, interconnected, and conforms to the eligibility criteria of the program. Please ensure that all energy efficiency measures with payback periods of two years or less are implemented and that the system is operating at full capacity prior to inspection. Payment of the incentive will be made after these items have been completed and verified.

Should you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter, please feel free to contact me.

Best,

Center for Sustainable Energy

Update: Checked the SGIP website under "Real-Time Public Report" and it now shows an interconnect date for my installation of 1/2/18 where previously it showed nothing. It was actually turned on on 12/27/17, and it appears that the holidays delayed the actual interconnect date.

Payment dates don't seem to be consistent with interconnect dates though. Someone who's interconnect date was 2 weeks after ours got paid on 5/30.

I just received an e-mail from Joe Bick, project coordinator, Self-Generation Incentive Program at Center for Sustainable Energy. Apparently my Telsa Powerwall project (2x Powerwall 2) has been approved for payment and I should receive the payment in approximately 30 days! No site inspection, no additional documentation or paperwork! Here's the contents of the e-mail:

06/11/18

Dear TomDiego,

Congratulations! This is a confirmation that the following project has been approved for an incentive payment through the Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP):

Project ID:

SD-SGIP-2017-1xxx

Host Customer:

TomDiego

Site Address:

[Street Address]
San Diego, CA 921xx

Equipment Type:

Electrochemical Storage

Rated Capacity:

10.000 kW

Maximum Incentive Amount:

$11,600.00

Returned Application Fee:

$587.50

The final incentive amount is based upon information provided in the Incentive Claim documentation, as well as the results of the site inspection. The Payee identified on the Incentive Claim Form will receive the following incentive payment(s):

1. Projects under 30kW: you will receive the maximum incentive amount as an upfront payment in approximately 30 days

For all projects, the application fee will be returned to the payor.

Please also note that the program guidelines allow the Program Administrator or its agent(s) to install additional metering equipment for Measurement and Evaluation purposes if deemed necessary. In the event that additional measurement or data collecting devices need to be installed, they will be installed at no cost to you.

Should you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter, please feel free to contact me.

Best,

Joe Bick

Project Coordinator, Self-Generation Incentive Program​

Still waiting. ICF submitted to Tesla in January, which was confirmed by a generated Tesla email estimating 90 days till the check, project status switched to "ICF draft" soon after that which it is still today and still nothing. I even received a 3rd party questionnaire about SGIp program experience as if it was a done deal.

What experience? Pushing statuses on paper? I really could use this money now..

Still waiting. ICF submitted to Tesla in January, which was confirmed by a generated Tesla email estimating 90 days till the check, project status switched to "ICF draft" soon after that which it is still today and still nothing. I even received a 3rd party questionnaire about SGIp program experience as if it was a done deal.

What experience? Pushing statuses on paper? I really could use this money now..

My ICF was also submitted in January. However in May, received a phone call and an email from Tesla stating they're still waiting for final permission to operate (PTO) from PG&E, in order to continue my SGIP rebate. Then on 7/11 we got the PTO, and yesterday 8/31 we received the check from PG&E! I also did the questionnaire in March. Maybe now you should check with Tesla if PTO was already done correctly.

Thank you.
I received my pto in 2017, well, at least I received official email from pge confirming that.
That's the thing. I have had all possible things other people had checked off the list for quite some time. And nobody knows anything.

What questionnaire?

I remember I received a questionnaire from some third party company about my experience with SGIp, which I figured had nothing to do with the process itself, and ignored it, since there was no experience to speak of. Now was I wrong to ignore it somehow? Was it a step somehow on which it all depended? I don't believe it did, it would be preposterous even for sacramento.

Last edited:
Thank you.
I received my pto in 2017, well, at least I received official email from pge confirming that.
That's the thing. I have had all possible things other people had checked off the list for quite some time. And nobody knows anything.

What questionnaire?

I remember I received a questionnaire from some third party company about my experience with SGIp, which I figured had nothing to do with the process itself, and ignored it, since there was no experience to speak of. Now was I wrong to ignore it somehow? Was it a step somehow on which it all depended? I don't believe it did, it would be preposterous even for sacramento.

Yes it was from a 3rd party and I don't think it's critical. No clue.

Aha.
Finally i have figured how to contact SGIP pge by email.

They are stating that Tesla has not submitted my ICF and hence no movement, whereas I have been informed by Tesla in writing to the contrary two times since January when i submitted it thru Tesla.

Quite as expected, we now have two entities pointing fingers at each other, with reservation deadline looming in a month.

Tesla. This is the last time i am dealing with your energy dept. I swear to it.

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
This is utter madness. Last week i emailed reply to my last ticket few months ago where Tesla assured me for the last time ICF was submitted, also (hopefully created a new ticket by forwarding SGIP reply to support as well, never heard from either. PGE on the other hand called me back to make sure i understood the issue. They told me indeed all documents are uploaded but literally, "Tesla has to click the submit button". Now we are down to buttons and other UI semantics!

never mind. Called Tesla. Almost an hour on hold once routed to PW CS. Just on principle i decided not to get off the hold until i get thru no matter how long it takes. In about 55 minutes after listening to music and constant reminder that somebody would be with me shortly, a CSR person finally answered. I explained the problem, after which they put me couple times more on hold for another 20-25 minutes. Finally they told me that they could not contact their sgip department to investigate the case, but they will keep trying and working on it. When i hung up with them knowing very little more than before the call, my phone was showing one and half hour elapsed since the call started.

ok... At least they did call me back as promised later in the day, stating.... that they had no news for me. Telling that they tried multiple times to call their own sgip team, and couldn't get their call answered no matter what they did, but they would keep trying.

That is, their internal communication is even worse than my public experience. At least I could get a hold of someone in some hour time.

They said they then had sent an email to SGIP team, being unable to call them, and now I guess they will be waiting for reply (apparently with the same success i have been waiting for reply for my own by-email support ticket of the same).

So we are now spending hours (hours, not days... yet, me and Tesla themselves) for anyone to do an activity that the sympathetic PGE gentleman had described as "just have Tesla click the submit button and we will process everything" ? Is everything really _that_ efficient in this company? How could anyone be more disorganized, losing track of everything at every step of the way more so than the state and PGE together?? I have horror stories to tell about service from both, but this... this by far exceeds everything I ever met in the world of bureaucracy.

Last edited:
Maybe they accidentally laid off their entire SGIP team ;P

I suspect Tesla Energy gets less attention due to the focus on cars. They seem to just be going after low-hanging fruit right now (i.e. big deals where there is more leverage to their efforts).

Aha. Status just turned to ICF submitted. it looks like it took Tesla 8 months for this 2-second activity (and might as well have taken as much more if I did not check with sgip office directly and just kept talking to T.).

Reactions: GenSao