Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shady CPO Purchase Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll try to keep this short. I'm posting this in hopes that somebody might be able to shed some light on the situation, any help is greatly appreciated.

I've been dealing with this process for about a month now due to delays and errors on Tesla's side with my trade in and MVPA. I'll spare you all the details regarding that, but let it be noted that 17 days were wasted on waiting for my final trade-in offer and 2 simple line items to be corrected on my MVPA.

The main problem I'm experiencing now is taking delivery. My first delivery appointment was set for 11/14 at 5PM, the appointment was set the day before on 11/13. Before this I was waiting for 8 days to get my corrected MVPA which was finally sent to me the same day I made the appointment, the date written on the MVPA was 11/9 so I'm not sure what took them so long to send it to me.

On 11/14(delivery day) I headed to my credit union in the morning to give them the MVPA to finalize my loan and get the check. As I'm dealing with the loan officer I get a call from my DA; He says that my delivery is on hold due to a new law passed in NY that requires all dealers to have the title in hand at the time of purchase and we'll have to hold off on delivery until Tesla receives the title. I was very confused as to how they didn't catch this earlier. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person in NY purchasing a pre-owned Tesla in oct/nov and during the 8 day period that I was waiting for the new MVPA it never occurred to them that this law was in existence? Another TMC member posted this thread: Over 1 month with CPO, still no title he bought his CPO MS just a month before me and he didn't even get the title at the time of purchase and his delivery was at the exact SC where my car is. I cannot find any evidence that this law actually exists.

A week goes by, not a word from anyone at Tesla. I sent an email to my DA, and SA asking for an update. At this point my credit score is taking a major hit due to the fact that the loan on my trade is now 30 days delinquent because of the massive delay of this purchase and my insurance company is removing my comprehensive coverage on the Tesla because the car had to be inspected by them within 14 days of the effective policy date which has now passed.

I called the delivery department through the 888 number, I explained to the DA the situation and how I haven't heard back from anyone dealing with my sale, he reached out to my DA who said he'd call me by the end of that day (11/19). Received an email late that night from my DA saying no updates, haven't received title yet, etc. He waived the mileage limits on my trade so I could still commute but this didn't really help me much due to the fact that I now have to keep the car locked in my garage to avoid it being repo'd.

11/23, DA calls me with good news, title arrived and we're ready to proceed with delivery, I schedule for 11/25. About an hour later I receive an email from a DA at the local SC containing a new MVPA which showed that I now owe an additional $40 because my original payoff quote on my trade expired due to, once again, Tesla taking their time. I was very concerned about this because I thought I'd have to go to the bank and redo everything and get a new check but a quick phone call confirmed that I could pay the difference online and still use the original check. I'm obviously not going to throw a fit over $40, it's just another drop in the bucket of setbacks caused by this lengthy process.

11/24: Less than 24 hours prior to my scheduled delivery, I get a voicemail from someone at the local SC saying that the team preparing my car before delivery discovered that three steering wheel bolts were not up to Tesla's standard and that they would have to replace the bolts, but GREAT news we can reschedule your delivery for 11/29! So apparently it takes Tesla 5 days to replace 3 bolts... I called back and was basically told that I cannot take delivery of this car until these bolts are replaced. Can I get the car first and bring it to the SC for repair on my own time? "No." Can I get a service loaner? "None are available but we can get you a rental from Enterprise."

Up to this point I've let a lot of things slide, but this is completely unbelievable. I am aware of the power steering recall but they never mentioned that this was related to that. I am now very concerned that something else is going on and they're stalling for time. How could replacing 3 bolts (stated they already have the parts) take 5 days?

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
How could replacing 3 bolts (stated they already have the parts) take 5 days?

Maybe they have a backlog of work? Maybe their staff is out for holidays?
It's also possible that there's more work to be done and they simply haven't explained all the details to you.

I'm sorry you're going through this.
I honestly think the main issue is that they have the same people working on all those new car sales as are working on the used cars and the new cars take priority.

Couple of points from my reading of your post as I'm entering the CPO realm as well:
1. Get a new credit union - they charged you interest on the loan from when you picked up the check not from when the deal was executed. That's a load of crap...unless they made the check out to you and you put it in your account and we intending on paying Tesla yourself?
2. Get a new insurance Co - they wanted to inspect the vehicle first hand, and OBTW why did you put the policy on it when you didn't even own the vehicle. That probably cost you $100 or more for the month...
3. I'm scared of what I might encounter from the CPO process, maybe Manheim will make order out of caos
4. It sucks that the recall fix didn't happen before all of this, I feel for you. I've learned I need to ask up front for recall compliance before setting a delivery date if I go CPO.

This sucks for you as you were excited, I'm guessing, and I feel for you. It's a let down, but in the end when you drive off in the car, I bet the frown will turn to a smile within a few miles...and of course the pedal will hit the floor once or twice and the smile will getting broader.

Just IMO
Dzm

As the most recent CPO buyer from this forum, I hear your rant. It is annoying, scary, and disappointing.
But to me, it’s not shady process. It’s more like hiccup of the delivery. It seems like NY has new law implemented, and I can’t blame Tesla for this. I would rather be thanksful to them that they have found the problem of the vehicle before deliver it to you. In my case, I had FIVE mechanical defect so far, and only one was fixed due to its hazardous potential.

Tesla is extremely busy, and even replacing 3 bolts on Steering Wheel could take 5 days (I’m not defending them btw, I’m in the similar boat). I hope everything works out for you eventually and receive a good car!

I'm sorry you're going through this.
I honestly think the main issue is that they have the same people working on all those new car sales as are working on the used cars and the new cars take priority.[/QUOTE]
That’s what I figured, hopefully they restructure the program with the help of Mannheim and make it a better, customer focused experience.

I don’t get the title ...what is “shady” about this ?
I should have specified that, that wasn’t the shady part. I find it shady that the day before my pickup they suddenly call me and say that I can’t have the car because 3 bolts on the car need to be replaced and it will take 5 days to replace said bolts.

Couple of points from my reading of your post as I'm entering the CPO realm as well:
1. Get a new credit union - they charged you interest on the loan from when you picked up the check not from when the deal was executed. That's a load of crap...unless they made the check out to you and you put it in your account and we intending on paying Tesla yourself?
2. Get a new insurance Co - they wanted to inspect the vehicle first hand, and OBTW why did you put the policy on it when you didn't even own the vehicle. That probably cost you $100 or more for the month...
3. I'm scared of what I might encounter from the CPO process, maybe Manheim will make order out of caos
4. It sucks that the recall fix didn't happen before all of this, I feel for you. I've learned I need to ask up front for recall compliance before setting a delivery date if I go CPO.

This sucks for you as you were excited, I'm guessing, and I feel for you. It's a let down, but in the end when you drive off in the car, I bet the frown will turn to a smile within a few miles...and of course the pedal will hit the floor once or twice and the smile will getting broader.

Just IMO
Dzm
1. Never did I say that my credit union that I’m financing my Tesla with charged me interest or anything of the sort.
2. I put the insurance on it because that is a requirement of Tesla when buying a CPO. I set the effective policy date according to when my DS advised the car will be ready, shame on me for being proactive and taking their word at face value.
3. Fingers crossed.
4. It was never specified by them that it was the recall fix, I was just told that it’s 3 bolts on the steering column. I thought the recall was for bolts on the exterior undercarriage of the car.

I was very excited and still am, the car is too great to walk away from. Thank you for helping me realize that again.

Why didn’t you make the payment on the car you are trading in? That isn’t Tesla at all. You make the payment and that lienholder sends you any excess funds.
I was told by my SA to NOT make any payments because it would take the lienholder months to a year to issue a refund. They also said something about it messing up the purchase, don’t remember the exact wording as this was over a month ago.

As the most recent CPO buyer from this forum, I hear your rant. It is annoying, scary, and disappointing.
But to me, it’s not shady process. It’s more like hiccup of the delivery. It seems like NY has new law implemented, and I can’t blame Tesla for this. I would rather be thanksful to them that they have found the problem of the vehicle before deliver it to you. In my case, I had FIVE mechanical defect so far, and only one was fixed due to its hazardous potential.

Tesla is extremely busy, and even replacing 3 bolts on Steering Wheel could take 5 days (I’m not defending them btw, I’m in the similar boat). I hope everything works out for you eventually and receive a good car!
Thank you for the insight. I’ve read a lot of bad cpo experiences on this forum and just started getting paranoid. If 5 days for 3 bolts is a normal turnaround I’m willing to accept that. I was thinking more along the lines that they sent it out as a service loaner or there was something a lot more wrong with the car, but I’ll set my tinfoil hat aside. Five defects already?? How long have you had it? Are they giving you a hard time?

Ah reread the OP post. Late payment / no payment on your current car and you blame Tesla.....dude???????
Dude, the SA and DS both said that I cannot make a payment on the car as it would take months for the bank to refund the excess funds. They also said it would mess up the deal for some reason and assured me that they would be sending payoff after my delivery which I was told would take 7 days. Throughout the time of the deal I repeatedly inquired about this and they kept telling me the same thing. You’re right, I shouldn’t blame Tesla. I should blame myself for trusting them.

Thank you for the insight. I’ve read a lot of bad cpo experiences on this forum and just started getting paranoid. If 5 days for 3 bolts is a normal turnaround I’m willing to accept that. I was thinking more along the lines that they sent it out as a service loaner or there was something a lot more wrong with the car, but I’ll set my tinfoil hat aside. Five defects already?? How long have you had it? Are they giving you a hard time?

No problem, I'm willing to give as much info that I know as possible :)

So basically it is not a new car as we all know. Although I had bear minimum of wear and tear, the car had one major issues with the nail on the tire, and four minor (I call it minor because it's not life threatening) issues such as 2 windshield problems, 1 software problem, and 1 charging port problem.

I've only had this car for 9 days, and the only hard time that I can think is that Tesla's been extremely busy and I must go through long wait time for the service. I kinda of understand though, they are experiencing the growing pain for sure.

Hopefully not happen to everyone, but you will probably find more defects as time goes by. But that's why they are offering CPO warranty. You will be okay :)

No problem, I'm willing to give as much info that I know as possible :)

So basically it is not a new car as we all know. Although I had bear minimum of wear and tear, the car had one major issues with the nail on the tire, and four minor (I call it minor because it's not life threatening) issues such as 2 windshield problems, 1 software problem, and 1 charging port problem.

I've only had this car for 9 days, and the only hard time that I can think is that Tesla's been extremely busy and I must go through long wait time for the service. I kinda of understand though, they are experiencing the growing pain for sure.

Hopefully not happen to everyone, but you will probably find more defects as time goes by. But that's why they are offering CPO warranty. You will be okay :)

I have not dealt with them other than through chats, store visit and emails and here's my take: They are super busy trying to squeeze in every last sale of new S vehicles they can this quarter, because the Fed Tax credit full value ends 31 Dec 2018 and goes to half value 1 Jan 19. There are already posts on other threads that have shown emails from Tesla offering to end leases early if people will take a new S this quarter.....So used sales is probably back seat right now.

Dzm

I have not dealt with them other than through chats, store visit and emails and here's my take: They are super busy trying to squeeze in every last sale of new S vehicles they can this quarter, because the Fed Tax credit full value ends 31 Dec 2018 and goes to half value 1 Jan 19. There are already posts on other threads that have shown emails from Tesla offering to end leases early if people will take a new S this quarter.....So used sales is probably back seat right now.

Dzm
You are exactly right. Probably the process of getting CPO will be a lot better starting the new calendar year.

Damn - I’ve had those CPO title issue with every CPO. First two CPOs were about 6 to 8 weeks (chicago and NY). Still waiting for a title on last tesla from September in NY Kismo.
I wish that title in hand was enacted. Takes out the stress their black hole no communication process after the sale.

Damn - I’ve had those CPO title issue with every CPO. First two CPOs were about 6 to 8 weeks (chicago and NY). Still waiting for a title on last tesla from September in NY Kismo.
I wish that title in hand was enacted. Takes out the stress their black hole no communication process after the sale.
Intrestingly enough, even after I was told this new law was enacted and delayed my sale I still didn’t receive the title on my delivery day.