Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shaming a Model S owner - Poor Charge Station Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
So I don't mind sharing some power once in a while to help someone get to their destination.

What I DO mind is obnoxious behavior like this. The paddle is wet and/or frozen and is not going to work for the next guy.

There's a reason there's a cable hanger and a holster for the charge paddle. It's to keep the cable safe and the connector dry.

If you want to treat my equipment like this... you can go elsewhere!

bad.jpg

Yeah, it's unfortunate. Most of the folks who use my EVSE on Plugshare call ahead, sometimes use the App( to show it's in use), and are really thoughtful to put the equipment away. Every once in a while, I'll see someone charging there (usually a Tesla). no notification (which is fine by me), but the cord and plug are left on the ground.

Drives me bonkers

....these are the people, as @Threader said, drop all of their trash at the supercharges

You’re very generous people to share your equipment.

This thread is what makes me nervous about listing mine to use. I’m also in a fairly high traffic area where it’s use might be all the time.

I always rehang mine and the units to either side of where I park any time I use a public location. I feel it’s just common decency that people need to start using.

I think Superchargers should continue to charge people if they don’t hang it back up.

I’ve never seen anyone leave a fuel pump hanging. Why should it be any different for an electric cable?

sorry, started to rant....

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
This thread is what makes me nervous about listing mine to use. I’m also in a fairly high traffic area where it’s use might be all the time.

Please list it. Almost all of the folks out there who need a "boost" are REALLY good about it, and happy that you are there for them. It's the only short term solution for the people who are on the fence on EVs due to range anxiety. I too, live in a high traffic area (highway 9 and 10), with limited charging options. I ranted about the bad ones - but the good users:
Some want to pay me for the power - I won't do that
Some want to give me something. I've been given jam, cookies, and wine in the past. I will do that:)
Some just gush about how thankful they are that I'm here. I tell them, as I'll recommend to you; pay it forward, and list your EVSE for others

I think Superchargers should continue to charge people if they don’t hang it back up.

I was at a Supercharger last Friday and found the connector from a car that just left on the ground. I went to placed it back, but for some reason the receptacle wasn't holding on properly. Got me 4-5 tries to get the gun to (barely) hold on. Was pretty cold too, so the wire wasn't very flexible. Just goes to show that sometime, it can be the driver, but sometimes can be the stall that doesn't handle the cold.

You know, normally I’d say ‘I can’t believe how inconsiderate some people can be’. The truth is I can believe it. Just home from a holiday where I spent a week dealing with people that bud in line, don’t say excuse me or thank you and light a cigarette or cigar anywhere without regard to their surroundings. This was a ‘5 star’ resort, so ya I believe douche baggery has infiltrated EV charging equipment.

You know, normally I’d say ‘I can’t believe how inconsiderate some people can be’. The truth is I can believe it. Just home from a holiday where I spent a week dealing with people that bud in line, don’t say excuse me or thank you and light a cigarette or cigar anywhere without regard to their surroundings. This was a ‘5 star’ resort, so ya I believe douche baggery has infiltrated EV charging equipment.
Sounds like EVing is becoming normalized. :) Lucky us.

I was at Chateau Montebello late summer, they have a bunch of destination chargers, half of them the cars were plugged in the 24 hrs I was there, fully charged.

It’s not parking!

Bad behaviour from newbie EV people I can see but why would a Tesla owner not get it. The phone tells us it’s charged , time to move.

They should do a software update that sends a few notifications if fully charged at a destination charger.

I was at Chateau Montebello late summer, they have a bunch of destination chargers, half of them the cars were plugged in the 24 hrs I was there, fully charged.

They should do a software update that sends a few notifications if fully charged at a destination charger.

too bad summon can’t kick out the charge port and move the car the f@#$ out of the way when it’s complete!

I haven’t used any sort of public charging...yet. But this is terrible behaviour!

I was thinking of the gas pump analogy. The reason people don’t just toss a gas nozzle on the ground is because they have to replace it in order to stop the pump and STOP CHARGING THEIR CREDIT CARDS. Maybe public EV chargers should do the same. If you don’t replace the charging gun back into its holder, then anybody can pick up the gun and use your account to charge their EV. Unless some chargers already do that. In which case, never mind. :)

I was thinking of the gas pump analogy. The reason people don’t just toss a gas nozzle on the ground is because they have to replace it in order to stop the pump and STOP CHARGING THEIR CREDIT CARDS. Maybe public EV chargers should do the same. If you don’t replace the charging gun back into its holder, then anybody can pick up the gun and use your account to charge their EV. Unless some chargers already do that. In which case, never mind. :)

Someone pointed out, when the quote is super cold, it barely bends, and sometimes the clip wears out.

There are some chargers that do lock it into the cradle, I suspect this is something that Mary becomes more normal over time.