Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Share Google maps location to model 3 not working from android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This feature seems to have stopped working. It has only worked on a couple of occasions. I can wake the car, sit in it and do the "share". The tesla app says the destination has been shared with the car but nothing happens. The car doesn't route to the location nor does the location appear in the history on the car.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this? I can't find anything of use in previous threads. I can't see any phone permissions that would stop this working.

It's a 2021 UK model 3.

Cheers.

...Does anyone know of a workaround for this? I can't find anything of use in previous threads. I can't see any phone permissions that would stop this working.

It's a 2021 UK model 3.

Cheers.
Try troubleshooting step no 1. Reboot the phone.
I just checked in my Pixel 5 and whilst it had been working fine for me in the past it was not working just now. Tesla app said location sent to car etc. But like you rpeorted, nothing appeared in the car. Rebooted phon and all working fine again. Can share location from inside or outside of the car and works fine either way.

My minor bugbear with the Share Location process in Google Maps / Android is that I cannot re-organise the list off apps to share to, so that Tesla is at the start. I have to scroll to the right through a list of ten other apps I never share locations to, to find the Telsa app. Which is would recall recently shared to apps and place them at the start of the list.

Interesting. I have my phone set to restart overnight and it just worked now. I went and sat in the car to test it. It appears to depend on the location you are sharing. I tried cities, a couple of house addresses and things like shopping parks. If it "liked" a specific destination it would route to it every time I shared it. If it didn't route to it, it never would regardless of how many times I shared it. It doesn't seem to matter on the type of place, but the car clearly has specific requirements as to what you can share to it. Very odd. You'd think google maps would just be sharing coordinates and the car would route to the coordinates regardless of where exactly that might be.

I agree about the Tesla app in the "share to list". You'd think Android would order the list by the app you share to the most. And the tesla app is the only one I'd ever share a location to.

That is interesting @Swordtail . I've seen the car's map take pretty bad routes to certain locations, or have bad locations for some shops. It does not have a "perfect match" of the Google Maps database for sure. Even if the latlong coordinate is shared, if the car doesn't find any "asset" match for it and cannot route to it, it might ignore it?

Interesting again! I've done some more tests. There was a street address I "shared" which is ignored by the car, yet it will route to it if you input it directly :confused: If you share a house very close by on the same street, the car does route to it! Very strange. I have discovered that if you press and hold on google maps such that you get coordinates rather than an address as the location, it seems to work every time, even if the location is in the middle of nowhere. I think my workaround is to just press and hold in the middle of the road next to my location before sharing. That seems to work every time, so far!

This feature seems to have stopped working. It has only worked on a couple of occasions. I can wake the car, sit in it and do the "share". The tesla app says the destination has been shared with the car but nothing happens. The car doesn't route to the location nor does the location appear in the history on the car.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this? I can't find anything of use in previous threads. I can't see any phone permissions that would stop this working.

It's a 2021 UK model 3.

Cheers.
Hello Guys. After a couple of days trying to solve the same problem to my new Tesla M3, finally I did it !!
There are two things needed:
1. The Language of the mobile phone must be one of the supported
languages of the car.
( i use English)
2. You must point with you finger to put
a place on Google map, then share
that point to Tesla App.

Try troubleshooting step no 1. Reboot the phone.
I just checked in my Pixel 5 and whilst it had been working fine for me in the past it was not working just now. Tesla app said location sent to car etc. But like you rpeorted, nothing appeared in the car. Rebooted phon and all working fine again. Can share location from inside or outside of the car and works fine either way.

My minor bugbear with the Share Location process in Google Maps / Android is that I cannot re-organise the list off apps to share to, so that Tesla is at the start. I have to scroll to the right through a list of ten other apps I never share locations to, to find the Telsa app. Which is would recall recently shared to apps and place them at the start of the list.