Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sharing with Nearby Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the latest upgrade of the Android app, I needed to allow sharing with nearby devices. That's fine, and it worked after I did that, but can someone explain what that permission is and what sharing is going on with the Tesla (not much help from Googling)?
Screenshot_20221228_203710_Permission controller.jpg

With the latest upgrade of the Android app, I needed to allow sharing with nearby devices. That's fine, and it worked after I did that, but can someone explain what that permission is and what sharing is going on with the Tesla (not much help from Googling)?
Bluetooth permissions | Android Developers
It is required to scan for nearby bluetooth devices. This is required for phone key to work properly (given it is bluetooth based). This permission likely is why a lot of people reported their phone key not working recently.

Bluetooth permissions | Android Developers
It is required to scan for nearby bluetooth devices. This is required for phone key to work properly (given it is bluetooth based). This permission likely is why a lot of people reported their phone key not working recently.
Thanks.

This permission wasn't required before. Nothing has changed in the app, it's just a new permission that's required??

Thanks.

This permission wasn't required before. Nothing has changed in the app, it's just a new permission that's required??
According to that post, if the Android version target is 12 or above, it requires that permission. Tesla may have updated their target to a newer version to work better with newer phones (also possible an Android update made it mandatory even for apps running in compatibility mode). My phone is still on Android 10, so I never was asked for that permission.

Check your Android version in your settings, About phone section, it likely is Android 12 or higher.