Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland m3lr with Intelligent Octopus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 2020 Tesla m3lr from new and used Intelligent Octopus without any problems.
Got new car (m3lr Highland) and car would not charge overnight or on bump charge. I phoned Octopus and explained then got an email explaining how to sort problem with my smart meter. That was not the problem.
I spent a lot of time looking for help on Octopus site and Internet with zero success.
I finally stumbled on the solution. In the app go to devices. Scroll down to remove devices. Are you sure? yes,
The app will now allow you to install a new device. Car, scroll to model 3 lr 2023 model and all of a sudden you are testing a charge.
You would think that Octopus would have included instructions on the help list.

Reactions: Forty_Two
I think it's filed under "bleeding obvious" when you realise IO has to control the car you want to charge.
I don't think it is bleeding obvious. I have teslafi and realised I had to change API. No problem. Octopus has no such facility. They use your Tesla password and it is assumed as your car is still a model 3lr it will still work. When I phoned help they had no idea and said it should work. I finally went into devices and removed the car not knowing that this would help.
If you think it is obvious I don't think you have been in this situation and I think the procedure should be in the help instructions. Certainly the experts at Octopus had no idea.

Reactions: MovingSouth
What did you think you were doing when you onboarded your original car?
I was an original user. I had Kona EV before and used ev energy and Octopus Go.
My first Tesla was an original application and I was presented with the usual questions. No problems there. When you have a Tesla on your account you don't get these options and you go round in circles. I am not a novice, being involved with IT for 40 years. I also spent 40 years in a caring profession and I am aware that supercilious comments such as "boring, more BS and bleeding obvious" dissuade the novice from getting help. It also encourages the ICE morons to publish nonsense.
I had worked it out myself but decided to post in case somebody found it helpful.

Copy of email from Octopus.
Thanks for calling — it looks like your smart meter might be misbehaving.

Our smart meter clinic is a quick online tool that can help diagnose any issues and provide useful information to help our team to resolve them quicker — in some cases, it can even walk you through the steps to get your meter back to its usual smart self in no time.

It only takes a few minutes, just tap this link to get started.

I think it would be easier just to remove the cars all together from the equation of onboarding to IO. Far too many issues and lack of understanding by the looks of it and surely stressing the system for customer services 🤷‍♂️