Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shell recharge increasing their tariff to 41p

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a danger of really increased the social divide in access to affordable personal transport with EVs though.

For those of us who can refuel at home EVs are not only cheaper to refuel versus public charging, more important it lets us not waste time having to use a public charger.

EVs may end up forcing those who don't have a way to charge at home to pay more for refuelling both interms of cost and time.

This issue needs to be solved ASAP, otherwise huge parts of society will see EVs as just another way for the rich to get richer at the expense of those less well off- which to a degree is already true when you look at the plugin grants.

Given rapid charging costs will never be low due to hardware costs the only option may be to increase home charging costs to bring parity to pricing. This would also generate tax income for the treasury.

I fear the days of EVs having cheap running costs is coming to an end very soon. Oh well it was good whilst it lasted :(.
I have been saying exactly this for a while. not only will the poor have to pay more for fuel locally but they will also have the least range so be forced to DC charge more on route at even higher prices. The social cost of the switch to EV's could be high and I have no idea what the solution is

Reactions: gangzoom
I have been saying exactly this for a while. not only will the poor have to pay more for fuel locally but they will also have the least range so be forced to DC charge more on route at even higher prices. The social cost of the switch to EV's could be high and I have no idea what the solution is
Perhaps and it’s a big perhaps. In the distant future when global warming scares the sh1t out of governments worldwide, we may just see a return to regular, green powered, cheap and effective public transport. I wasn’t thinking robotaxi either.
Even in my lifetime it’s obvious that not everything benefits from privatisation.
Back in the 60’s, I could wait a maximum of 10 minutes for a bus, 30 minutes for a train and pay the fares out of my pocket money.
I guess that personal transport ownership has a lot to answer for and will, one day, be criminalised to save the planet, by which time it will be too late.
PS its raining and I’m feeling cheerful 😂