Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shimmy noise at low speeds.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m noticing on my new MYP that at low speeds, I can hear a “shimming” noise and it gets faster as the car goes faster. Made an appt with SC, but wanted to post and see if anyone had this issue and what the solution was?

Looks like I can’t upload videos on TMC

So I’m noticing on my new MYP that at low speeds, I can hear a “shimming” noise and it gets faster as the car goes faster. Made an appt with SC, but wanted to post and see if anyone had this issue and what the solution was?

Looks like I can’t upload videos on TMC
Post a video on YouTube. I'm betting it's the age old tire manufacturer tire sticker rubbing against something in wheel well. If it is, it mostly goes away around 5,000 miles. Mine sounded like a metal ball bearing rattling around. If you travel fast enough the sound goes away. It's noticeable at low speeds and perfectly coincides with the wheel's rotation speed. Others have confirmed it's the sound a sticker on the wheel slapping against something until it gets shredded enough. Search model Y forum for wheel noise or sticker. I'll try to find the other thread...well the most recent one.
I went to SC about it...on test drive they heard it....then in garage they could not, because they are not driving the car. As I left the SC, driving slowly down their driveway...the car made the same noise. The next weekend I took a long road trip where I took the opportunity to REALLY punch the performance model Y on an empty highway....after that trip the noise mostly went away. I hear it every now and then but the noise level has decreased by an insane 1000% ...it would be hard for me to get a service tech to hear iron a test drive.

Post a video on YouTube. I'm betting it's the age old tire manufacturer tire sticker rubbing against something in wheel well. If it is, it mostly goes away around 5,000 miles. Mine sounded like a metal ball bearing rattling around. If you travel fast enough the sound goes away. It's noticeable at low speeds and perfectly coincides with the wheel's rotation speed. Others have confirmed it's the sound a sticker on the wheel slapping against something until it gets shredded enough. Search model Y forum for wheel noise or sticker. I'll try to find the other thread...well the most recent one.
I went to SC about it...on test drive they heard it....then in garage they could not, because they are not driving the car. As I left the SC, driving slowly down their driveway...the car made the same noise. The next weekend I took a long road trip where I took the opportunity to REALLY punch the performance model Y on an empty highway....after that trip the noise mostly went away. I hear it every now and then but the noise level has decreased by an insane 1000% ...it would be hard for me to get a service tech to hear iron a test drive.
Wow. Thanks for the in depth reply! I was talking to my tech buddy at the service center. Said it sounded unusual but thinking sticker in the inner bead of tire. How is that remedied?

We’ll see what they say tomorrow. I’m completely surprised I was able to get a spot after submitting a couple of hours ago. 😂

Wow. Thanks for the in depth reply! I was talking to my tech buddy at the service center. Said it sounded unusual but thinking sticker in the inner bead of tire. How is that remedied?

We’ll see what they say tomorrow. I’m completely surprised I was able to get a spot after submitting a couple of hours ago. 😂
I’d think the remedy is getting sticker removed. I think I saw one person had it removed at their local tire shop.

I’m not at home. When I get home I will link to some videos of the noise I am writing about.

Yea that is lucky you got an appointment so fast. Perhaps everyone is out of town for holidays.

@Predation

Thread with video. Go to post #1 within the thread for the video. The issue was the sticker and lists what SC did to address. Here is another thread, same issue. My car made the same noise but my sticker wore down such that the noise is hardly noticeable. I've a mobile tech coming out soon so I'll ask if they can take a peek. My noise is so quiet now they will probably say "within spec". lol

@Predation

Thread with video. Go to post #1 within the thread for the video. The issue was the sticker and lists what SC did to address. Here is another thread, same issue. My car made the same noise but my sticker wore down such that the noise is hardly noticeable. I've a mobile tech coming out soon so I'll ask if they can take a peek. My noise is so quiet now they will probably say "within spec". lol
Thanks for taking the time to reply and post links! Happy Holidays!!

Reactions: ElectricAnt54