Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shipping to another city

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would recommend to lower the battery comsumption by turning off the Sentry mode, the Alarm, and the Summon (from the Auto pilot menu).

If you can, try to get your car transported in a cargo truck, like a moving truck, than having your car exposed to the outside,
or getting you car covered with some oil if the car above was leaking oil.

Put your car in valet mode and lower the speed to the minimum, I believe to 50 m/h.

I imagine that you would be able to trace your car location on your phone.

Looking at other threads, such as the Roadster migh be helpful: Shipper Recommendation

Last edited:
If you are shipping in an open carrier, which is half the price usually of enclosed, you could wrap the car in "crash wrap" to protect the paint. They do something similar with a lot of European imports during shipping to protect the exterior.

https://www.amazon.com/Crash-Film-2...1_4?keywords=crash+wrap&qid=1580415218&sr=8-4

It's called crash wrap because it's what they put over broken windows or other openings to protect the interior from rain and other contamination after an accident. It's cheap and easy to apply, but it's like cellophane wrap so it will not provide much protection from gouging or rock chips like a clear bra. It will protect against spills and light scratching. You could double or triple the layering for more protection.

It will also make it very unattractive for the truck driver to joy ride your car around town during stopovers.

I have shipped a number of exotic cars and regular cars across the country using open carriers, and I've never had any damage from shipping. You hear the horror stories, which are real, but represent a tiny percentage of the cars shipped every year.

Also, make sure you put it in Valet mode to further reduce the attractiveness of joy riding a Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up