Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short story of the "Trunk Shield"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: This post is my story for the trunk shield. I am NOT trying to sell you one. They're kinda expensive anyway!

When I picked up my Model 3 in November, I had no idea there was (and still is) an epidemic of break-ins of Tesla M3s around the Bay Area. I live in the North Bay and visit the city often. When traveling I always carry possessions of mine in the trunk. In the lower trunk, I always have a charging cable, jack pads, scissor jack, tire repair kit, air pump, and my spare tire "skateboard." I then have my computer, suitcase and a number of other things I need or want in my travels in the main trunk. I also do shopping at different stores while in the city. So by the time I return home, my trunk is loaded with all kinds of goodies.

Since there isn’t a lock on the rear seat release, I started to look into how I could better protect the trunk area. I figured out and designed a shield that would block the trunk by using the 8mm bolts being used for the rear seat latches. Basically, it’s a physical barrier between the car and the trunk area. I had never designed anything of this type of product in my life, but I could see a good solution and decided to make it.

After I made it and was feeling proud of it, I thought maybe others would want to protect their trunks as well and I offered them for sale. Shortly after posting it to Reddit, somebody pointed out that a thief could easily break the window and open the trunk, frunk, glovebox, and my garage door via the display.

My initial thought was, “Are you kidding me? That’s crazy!”

I knew that Tesla was going to release “Sentry Mode” soon. But had no idea how it would work.

In the meantime, I emailed Tesla about the display issue. Also, I posted on TMC, Reddit and the Facebook Model 3 group that everybody needed to ask Tesla to fix this display access.

Fast forward to today. “Sentry Mode” is slowly being released. I have yet to get it, but it looks like the display is off limits if the alarm is going off. If that’s the case (and I think it is), I'm a happy man. With my trunk shield and Sentry mode, my stuff in the trunk is as safe as it’s going to get. Man, I love this car!

That’s the story of the “Trunk Shield”.

Reactions: aaron0k and wenkan
Sorry, I guess I'm saying it feels good to have everything come together for securing my trunk. I thought I had it the first time, then I found out the thieves could access everything with the display. Now with Sentry mode enabled and the trunk shield, they can break my windows but they're not getting into my trunk without serious effort.

I didn't realize the display still functioned if you didn't have a phone or key connected. That doesn't seem right.

Try it yourself not in "Sentry Mode" let me know if it still works.

1. Roll down any front window. Kill Bluetooth on nearby phones paired to the car.

2. Lock car with key card.

3. Wait two minutes for car to arm.

4. Reach in an open front window and open door using a button inside the door. The alarm will sound when the door opens. This is the action that mimics smashing a window and reaching in to open a door.

5. The Model 3's screen will be active — open the frunk or trunk and glovebox and garage door.