Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme battery loss on Model 3 (˜10% per day) since 2023.20.4.1. Contacted service and told this is normal (more info below)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I'm sorry if this posts sounds negative but I'm currently frustrated with my car and the service provided by Tesla.

Around June 26-27, I updated to 2023.20.4.1 on my 2023 Model 3 RWD and this is when I started experiencing some battery issues. Whenever the car is not being used, it drains a lot of energy under 'Vehicle Standby'. Here is what I've done so far:
- Restart using both scrolling wheels
- Shut down and wait 5 minutes before turning back on
- software re-install using service mode
- turned Cabin Overheat protection and Sentry mode on and then back off
- No 3rd party apps, changed Tesla account password
Since I do not currently have a home charger and rely on charging across the street, this is making me have to spend more time charging than before.
Below are some screenshots and a timeline:

On June 29, I first noticed the battery drain, which was about 4% of the battery in around 10 hours.

IMG_2520.jpg

On July 2, a little over 24 hours after charging the car to 100%, I noticed another big drop in battery. This time, Vehicle Standby used 10.1%. You can see that Cabin Overhear Protection did use 3.1%, but I quickly disabled it after I noticed that this was on.
IMG_2546.jpg

The next morning on July 3, the battery drain continued. Another 4% was lost by Vehicle Standby in 12 hours. As you can see, Cabin Overheat protection did not increase as it was turned off.
IMG_2548.jpg

I tried contacting support but they were quick to say the vehicle was fine after they ran a remote diagnosis and urged me to cancel the appointment. When I pressed them to physically check the vehicle, I was told that I would have to pay for this. A screenshot from the vehicle manual clearly shows that a 1% loss per day is normal, but the service team states that the loss I'm experiencing is normal
IMG_2573.jpg

Today, the issue continued. As you can see, there was a high battery usage coming from the mobile app, but this was due to me spending most of my morning chatting with the service team through the mobile app. They were no help, and ignored when I mentioned that other users online were having similar issues. Another 8.5% in almost 24 hours.

IMG_2578.jpg

I posted a similar post on reddit and found some users who are experiencing the same problem since the update:

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 7.03.29 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 7.03.12 PM.png

Another post, this time from 2 model Y users:
Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 6.36.28 PM.png

At this point I really don't know what to do. Support does not acknowledge the problem and I continue to lose range overnight. This was extremely frustrating over the long weekend when I was traveling and using a supercharger, as I was essentially paying for nothing. Has anyone in this community have this issue? How could we get Tesla to acknowledge this?

• Informative
Reactions: Scelto
If it’s truly related to a software bug there’s really nothing for service or anyone else to do about it other than wait for it to be fixed in a future release.
I mean, I would hope they would at least acknowledge that this is an issue and report it so it can get fixed. Because the only answer I get is 'this is normal' and there is no way to escalate it to the right team. Not sure if this information is being passed along if even tier 1 support can't see the issue.

Reactions: Scelto and Tony_YYZ
I mean, I would hope they would at least acknowledge that this is an issue and report it so it can get fixed. Because the only answer I get is 'this is normal' and there is no way to escalate it to the right team. Not sure if this information is being passed along if even tier 1 support can't see the issue.
They probably say it's normal because probably they've seen hundreds or thousands of similar complaints before and it's related to known battery drainers that keep the car awake (which typically will make it lose one mile per hour). Things like Sentry, Cabin Overheat, Summon Standby, etc.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

The personnel may not necessarily look into the nuance of what is expected when all such features are disabled.

Reactions: GtiMart
This is a problem where the service people have no idea what the internal code is doing. Yeah, the batteries are fine. But as a former IBM mainframe programmer I've seen instances where a new version of code has some lousy code that wastes cycles even when it's doing nothing. Tell them to push a prior version of the software and if that fixes the problem shove it in their faces. By now we should not have to debug their code for them and if your problem is their fault it shows they didn't test it enough.

Keep pressing service. A few months ago after an app update, my 2 Tesla's kept waking every 6 minutes 24/7. After the (it's you not us) and showed no 3rd party apps (they love to blame them) it was finally elevated. 4 days later the app team was communicating and like magic, 2 app updates came out within 12 hours that fixed the issue. In your case, if not the obvious (a setting that keeps the car awake like sentry or maybe summon) push to have it elevated. Also, if no screen notification (the small bell at top right when menus open) open service mode and see what messages are there for a clue. To open service mode select Software/Press on the Model of car (invisible button) for a few seconds you will see screen pulse under your finger. A popup asks for password. It is service. Accept the disclaimers. On the main screen select service alerts and all the service messages will be there if any. Select All at the top and If you see something that may clue to the waking report back to service. They should have seen it. Tap big red wrench in bottom to bring back main screen. Press and hold EXIT SERVICE MODE to close. Check on Normal screen if Sentry turned on. Sometime when I exit Sentry is activated and just set to off if not needed.

Last edited:
Your car is "simply" staying awake. That energy expense is typical of a car that doesn't sleep. As others said, there have been bugs like this before. I remember some cars staying awake if the charger was plugged, even though not charging. Just an example.
Once you've verified all usual suspects (sentry, smart summon, COP etc) you could also check your low voltage (12V) system. If the battery is bad, the car might constantly try to charge it. There's a menu in service mode to check for low voltage health.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
This is a problem where the service people have no idea what the internal code is doing. Yeah, the batteries are fine. But as a former IBM mainframe programmer I've seen instances where a new version of code has some lousy code that wastes cycles even when it's doing nothing. Tell them to push a prior version of the software and if that fixes the problem shove it in their faces. By now we should not have to debug their code for them and if your problem is their fault it shows they didn't test it enough.
I’ve never heard of a case where service pushed an older build to someone’s car, and I didn’t think that was even possible. Do you know otherwise?

I am having the same issue ever since i updated to 2023.20.4.1. The car is definitely not sleeping and I am also missing the visualizations.

Hopefully there is a new update soon

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 210
Hey everyone,

I'm sorry if this posts sounds negative but I'm currently frustrated with my car and the service provided by Tesla.

Around June 26-27, I updated to 2023.20.4.1 on my 2023 Model 3 RWD and this is when I started experiencing some battery issues. Whenever the car is not being used, it drains a lot of energy under 'Vehicle Standby'. Here is what I've done so far:
- Restart using both scrolling wheels
- Shut down and wait 5 minutes before turning back on
- software re-install using service mode
- turned Cabin Overheat protection and Sentry mode on and then back off
- No 3rd party apps, changed Tesla account password
Since I do not currently have a home charger and rely on charging across the street, this is making me have to spend more time charging than before.
Below are some screenshots and a timeline:

On June 29, I first noticed the battery drain, which was about 4% of the battery in around 10 hours.

View attachment 953861

On July 2, a little over 24 hours after charging the car to 100%, I noticed another big drop in battery. This time, Vehicle Standby used 10.1%. You can see that Cabin Overhear Protection did use 3.1%, but I quickly disabled it after I noticed that this was on.
View attachment 953871

The next morning on July 3, the battery drain continued. Another 4% was lost by Vehicle Standby in 12 hours. As you can see, Cabin Overheat protection did not increase as it was turned off.
View attachment 953872

I tried contacting support but they were quick to say the vehicle was fine after they ran a remote diagnosis and urged me to cancel the appointment. When I pressed them to physically check the vehicle, I was told that I would have to pay for this. A screenshot from the vehicle manual clearly shows that a 1% loss per day is normal, but the service team states that the loss I'm experiencing is normal
View attachment 953874

Today, the issue continued. As you can see, there was a high battery usage coming from the mobile app, but this was due to me spending most of my morning chatting with the service team through the mobile app. They were no help, and ignored when I mentioned that other users online were having similar issues. Another 8.5% in almost 24 hours.

View attachment 953879

I posted a similar post on reddit and found some users who are experiencing the same problem since the update:

View attachment 953875
View attachment 953876

Another post, this time from 2 model Y users:
View attachment 953859

At this point I really don't know what to do. Support does not acknowledge the problem and I continue to lose range overnight. This was extremely frustrating over the long weekend when I was traveling and using a supercharger, as I was essentially paying for nothing. Has anyone in this community have this issue? How could we get Tesla to acknowledge this?
Hi there - this could be because you charged to 100% and then let the car sit. It’s been warm lately, and the car may have kept the coolant pumps running - this happens to mine if I charge to over 75%

Also, it does sound like the car isn’t sleeping - constantly checking on it via the app will keep it ‘awake’

If this is a bug, it’ll be fixed - don’t panic

Cheers

I’ve never heard of a case where service pushed an older build to someone’s car, and I didn’t think that was even possible. Do you know otherwise?

I havent either, and I dont think its possible. "Downgrade your firmware" is a typical computer type troubleshooting thing (which may be where @mjwojtukiewicz is getting that from) but I have never seen anyone report doing this, even after multiple people ask for it.

Wow, that's a lot. Of course I parked at an airport for a few days. Our MX was parked from the morning of the June 30 to evening July 4th. With sentry on for only a day, the car drained 32% I guess the Texas heat was getting to it.

I havent either, and I dont think its possible. "Downgrade your firmware" is a typical computer type troubleshooting thing (which may be where @mjwojtukiewicz is getting that from) but I have never seen anyone report doing this, even after multiple people ask for it.
Unless I'm crazy I think I've read somewhere on this forum where someone has downgraded. Maybe like Windows you have multiple version snaphots saved
on disk directory. Maybe Tesla has same. Or why couldn't they push a previous version?

Unless I'm crazy I think I've read somewhere on this forum where someone has downgraded. Maybe like Windows you have multiple version snaphots saved
on disk directory. Maybe Tesla has same. Or why couldn't they push a previous version?

Because they firmware update several hardware modules when they do that, and some of those hardware modules may not support downgrading. If you can find someone saying they did this without root, I would be interested to see that post / thread.

Hi there - this could be because you charged to 100% and then let the car sit. It’s been warm lately, and the car may have kept the coolant pumps running - this happens to mine if I charge to over 75%

Also, it does sound like the car isn’t sleeping - constantly checking on it via the app will keep it ‘awake’

Cheers
I’ve tried charging from 50 to 70% and had the same problem unfortunately. I also uninstalled the tesla mobile app for a full day and the battery drain continued. At this point, just have to hope Tesla fixes this issue, but when the service team doesn’t even acknowledge the problem this might take some time. In the meantime, users will keep losing a lot of energy everyday

Reactions: richrootes

Cheers
It's definitely a bug. Pior to the latest version, I've left my car for 10 days before and lost maybe 2-3% but as you can see in my screenshot I lost 64% in less than 5 days in the last week. It was only at like 70% before we went away and when I came back it was <5%.

Reactions: richrootes