Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme battery loss on Model 3 (˜10% per day) since 2023.20.4.1. Contacted service and told this is normal (more info below)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New here, came to post this. I had my 22 M3 RWD LFP RCM replaced in Norcal this week due to the same issue. 8 to 10% Vehicle Standby battery drain after parking overnight in my garage.

I had a camera in the garage right next to the car with sound event detection enabled and sensitivity on high. It was able to record the car turning on (some kind of fan noise, but not the AC fan) at the exact same minute every single hour, all night long. Just another way of collecting more evidence that the car is doing something it's not supposed to.

Here's what my camera detected:

a.png

I took my Tesla camping in Yosemite. Parked at 2PM after charging at 12:30 at a supercharger. Weather was 90 degrees. Parked in shade. Battery 72%. Outside temp on tesla showed 100 degrees. Fan on after parking. Weather cooled down to 53 degrees by nighttime. Fan stayed on 16 straight hours. Battery temperature crept up to 132 degrees and stayed there for the whole time. Battery drained to 27% by next day, and we did not have enough battery to get out of our location. I called fire department in case the battery went to zero and the fan stopped running and the temperature kept going up to start a fire at that point. Called tesla and they did not help, and still hard to get a service appointment. I cannot use this tesla. It is a new model Y, 2023.

I have an update on my situation.
I managed to get the car towed to the service center. It turns out from the first repair I got when it was new and the front drive motor went out, they did not reattach the fan motor cable. I got the car in December, it broke in January, they left the fan cable unattached in the repair. Since then, I've been driving the car without any battery cooling. The sound I hear on my car after driving (which could go for hours in my garage) is the compressor on the AC running on full blast that whole time, but unable to bring the temperature down. I've been draining my batteries, paying to charge them, and killing my batteries with the heat. They have degraded quite a bit, and the car only has 4500 miles on it. Anyone know how to get Tesla to buy back this car that is now ruined? Also pay for damages because I've had two vacations ruined?
Invoice on this repair is 3000S0007928256

I have an update on my situation.
I managed to get the car towed to the service center. It turns out from the first repair I got when it was new and the front drive motor went out, they did not reattach the fan motor cable. I got the car in December, it broke in January, they left the fan cable unattached in the repair. Since then, I've been driving the car without any battery cooling. The sound I hear on my car after driving (which could go for hours in my garage) is the compressor on the AC running on full blast that whole time, but unable to bring the temperature down. I've been draining my batteries, paying to charge them, and killing my batteries with the heat. They have degraded quite a bit, and the car only has 4500 miles on it. Anyone know how to get Tesla to buy back this car that is now ruined? Also pay for damages because I've had two vacations ruined?
Invoice on this repair is 3000S0007928256
NCAs degrade rapidly in the first year anyways. Since you have a 2023 Model Y, you don't have an LFP battery that might do better.

I suspect Tesla will point you to the warranty, they won't do anything unless it drops below 70% and will unlikely to do a buyback given your car now works fine and is within acceptable degradation.

What's your full charge rated range vs when you first got the car (as close to 0 miles as possible)?

The warranty also excludes damages (as most warranties do), so damages for your ruined vacations are not covered:
"Damages
Tesla hereby disclaims any and all indirect, incidental, special and consequential damages arising out of or relating to your vehicle, including, but not limited to, transportation to and from a Tesla Service Center, loss of vehicle value, loss of time, loss of income, loss of use, loss of personal or commercial property, inconvenience or aggravation, emotional distress or harm, commercial loss (including but not limited to lost profits or earnings), towing charges, bus fares, vehicle rental, service call charges, gasoline expenses, lodging expenses, damage to tow vehicle, and incidental charges such as telephone calls, facsimile transmissions, and mailing expenses."
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Of course there might be some states where such exclusions are not allowed and even if allowed, this is the US, so you can sue for literally anything, so if you want legal advice you should speak to a lawyer in your area (above obviously is not legal advice and IANAL).

Last edited:
Assuming you have the same problem I did, what I noticed was a constant humming/sound coming from the engine area all day long. I took short video clips throughout the day across multiple days of the humming sound when the car should be sleeping. I put in a service ticket about the car "humming" all the time instead of just battery drain. They're trained to ignore battery drain as it can just be a symptom of an uncalibrated BMS. However, the symptom here is indicative of a broken system elsewhere, so we should report that as the problem. It sucks that they're unwilling to diagnose this properly themselves though.
Thank you for your reply. I went to upland service center and they completely ignored the issue and told me even though the manual says 1% losing 13% is normal and they see no issues after running a diagnostic. I questioned how this goes against the manual. I was then told because I have HW
Assuming you have the same problem I did, what I noticed was a constant humming/sound coming from the engine area all day long. I took short video clips throughout the day across multiple days of the humming sound when the car should be sleeping. I put in a service ticket about the car "humming" all the time instead of just battery drain. They're trained to ignore battery drain as it can just be a symptom of an uncalibrated BMS. However, the symptom here is indicative of a broken system elsewhere, so we should report that as the problem. It sucks that they're unwilling to diagnose this properly themselves though.
i spoke with my local service center. Provided pics, listed the humming, etc. I was told 13% less than 24 hrs in standby is completely normal. I showed them the car manual states 1% they said things are always changing in Tesla and because I have the newest model y it has more components which cause the drain and it’s normal. I asked them to look into RCM provided service tickets from people who shared them and was told they refuse to look at anything unless the diagnostic shows an issue. I was then told my car is ready and they brushed me off.

I then went to another center and the tech there told me he knew the problem and replaced the RCM!! I had to drive over 1.5 hrs to get there vs my local one which was down the street. Lol

Reactions: kevin_camera
Thank you for your reply. I went to upland service center and they completely ignored the issue and told me even though the manual says 1% losing 13% is normal and they see no issues after running a diagnostic. I questioned how this goes against the manual. I was then told because I have HW

i spoke with my local service center. Provided pics, listed the humming, etc. I was told 13% less than 24 hrs in standby is completely normal. I showed them the car manual states 1% they said things are always changing in Tesla and because I have the newest model y it has more components which cause the drain and it’s normal. I asked them to look into RCM provided service tickets from people who shared them and was told they refuse to look at anything unless the diagnostic shows an issue. I was then told my car is ready and they brushed me off.

I then went to another center and the tech there told me he knew the problem and replaced the RCM!! I had to drive over 1.5 hrs to get there vs my local one which was down the street. Lol
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. However, I am excited that you now have the fix and hopefully everything else goes well with this car after the fix. It certainly was frustrating, and for all other cars I've owned in the past I would have never had the patience to be "ok" with this. Hopefully all new people coming to the thread and seeing our issues have a better idea of the strategy involved with getting the replacement done. The car has been great post-repair for me. (*knock on wood*)