Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Increase in float has an inverse correlation to share price, assuming you hold everything else constant. Increase in float = increase in supply of share. If you hold demand constant, then the increase in share supply will cause the stock to go down.

If you don't believe me then watch what will happen to TWTR end of April, first half of May as the lockup expiration gets ready to hit on May 15, which will increase float by a lot (and all other things will be held constant). Big TWTR crash coming by May for sure.

That's not what happened when Facebook's lockup period expred. The stock jumped 10% on the same day, since the sell-off from insiders was much smaller than expected. Obviously this meant that the float didn't increase as much as everybody was expecting, but increase in float doesn't necessarily mean a decrease in price. Especially not if the increase in float was expected beforehand. Otherwise it'd be free money, which we all know doesn't happen very often in the stock market ;)

That's not what happened when Facebook's lockup period expred. The stock jumped 10% on the same day, since the sell-off from insiders was much smaller than expected. Obviously this meant that the float didn't increase as much as everybody was expecting, but increase in float doesn't necessarily mean a decrease in price. Especially not if the increase in float was expected beforehand. Otherwise it'd be free money, which we all know doesn't happen very often in the stock market ;)

It is not as simple as shorting on the day of lockup. That is why I clearly wrote end of April, first half of May since Twitter lockup is May 15. That would be easy money if you could just short the day before lockup.

The market is a very sophisticated vehicle and stocks move in anticipation of things. In Facebook's example it was already down 50% leading up to lockup and it went up 10% on lockup expiration, because of a massive sigh of relief that insiders didn't start dumping shares. If FB was up 50% instead of down, then you bet it would have tanked the stock since everybody would have been cashing out.

Every situation is different. SCTY was up like 500% pre-lockup and then tanked 40% in the two weeks leading up to lockup.

I still stand by everything I wrote: keeping all things constant, and increase in float = decrease in share price.

edit: econ 101 - higher supply = lower share price.

Yes, if you leave all other things the same, then increasing float will drop price. But Tesla announcing a secondary to finance gigafactory is not leaving things the same. You are increasing the float, but you are also adding capital and future investment into a profit line and increase in GM for vehicles. Put the two together and depending how big the secondary is the float increase will be outmatched by the increase in valuation from the factory building. But that's the balancing act. Will it go up or not. If Tesla were to increase total amount of stock 10% you go from 20B to 22B in market cap if the share price is the same. So the question does come down to valuation.

Yes, if you leave all other things the same, then increasing float will drop price. But Tesla announcing a secondary to finance gigafactory is not leaving things the same. You are increasing the float, but you are also adding capital and future investment into a profit line and increase in GM for vehicles. Put the two together and depending how big the secondary is the float increase will be outmatched by the increase in valuation from the factory building. But that's the balancing act. Will it go up or not. If Tesla were to increase total amount of stock 10% you go from 20B to 22B in market cap if the share price is the same. So the question does come down to valuation.

I agree- The 'normal' expose of dilution is negative for the per share price of course (as sleepy point out); But I see G-Factory capitalization as a clear exception (or potential exception depending on the arrangement). Clearly clears Tesla of last major hurdle (lots of other hurdles of course) for GenIII, and the market may well conclude it's a capital leverage rather than a stock dilution. Imagine if given the partnership arrangement the second is small, but leverages the investments of others AND still provides Tesla with whole sale cost of batteries. Under those conditions if the stock did go down, I know I would be a buyer for sure. Maybe I'm alone, but I'd bet against it with my $s

It is not as simple as shorting on the day of lockup. That is why I clearly wrote end of April, first half of May since Twitter lockup is May 15. That would be easy money if you could just short the day before lockup.
Just for fun, I looked at the current price of buying a deep OTM put on TWTR for June. The premiums are super high (as a percentage of stock price). They make Tesla's look cheap in comparison.

I keep waiting for a pull-back to extend my long position, but this stock is just rising relentlessly. Not that that's a problem, but it's not providing much opportunity.

Me too, however I still have a few 170 & 175 weeklies I didn't sell today. I almost sold all of them when we hit 180 but it tapered off instead of a sell off and the support seemed pretty strong so I held most of them. I'm planning on rolling them to feb calls tomorrow.

I don't think it's the giga-factory. Elon has said a few times now that they were in the process of deciding which state the factory would go in... meaning the factory would be built in the US. Perhaps Tesla will buy some batteries from Samsung in the short term, if their giga-factory is not up by then.

Tesla site down at the moment.

New pricing? New features? Other changes? Anyone know what's coming?

I doubt they'd do any sort of big announcement that way.

Anyway, turns out it was announcing pricing and offering the design studio for China. We already knew pricing in China and the design studio is a nice step forward but nothing new that I know of. Unless someone combs through and finds something curious...

Son of a gun. My stock is now breaking even again. We got in at 178 about two seconds before the first fire. :redface: I thought this was going to take a lot longer. I hope it keeps going up.

Status
Not open for further replies.