Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• Bolt Chargers.png
    Bolt Chargers.png
    511.5 KB · Views: 61
That doesn't make sense.

You get far enough north the ideal angel for maximizing solar intake gets steeper once you get to 45 degrees north the ideal angle is 70 degrees. Most roofs are close to 18 degrees. Side of your house is 90. 90 is a hell of a lot closer to 70 than 18 is. And the panels could be installed at 70 as siding. Go look at any siding on a house. The wall is 90 but individual panels are less.

When you are in southern states the roof makes total sense. When you are in Michigan your roof isn't the right angle anymore.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Even at 50 degrees north latitude the optimal angle is 41 degrees, not 90

Latitude

Full year angle Avg. insolation on panel % of optimum
 0° (Quito)  0.0 6.5 72%
 5° (Bogotá)  4.4 6.5 72%
10° (Caracas)  8.7 6.5 72%
15° (Dakar) 13.1 6.4 72%
20° (Mérida) 17.4 6.3 72%
25° (Key West, Taipei) 22.1 6.2 72%
30° (Houston, Cairo) 25.9 6.1 71%
35° (Albuquerque, Tokyo) 29.7 6.0 71%
40° (Denver, Madrid) 33.5 5.7 71%
45° (Minneapolis, Milano) 37.3 5.4 71%
50° (Winnipeg, Prague) 41.1 5.1 70%
Optimum Tilt of Solar Panels

Anyone think Tesla might be working on a siding solar panel for the equivalent of hardie board? For anywhere north of the 40th paralell which runs right through the united states installing siding panels at an angel with the side of the house could be more efficient than installing it on a roof.

That doesn't make sense.
At least one doesn'n need to shovel snow off the panels.

• Funny
Reactions: Intl Professor
Anyone think Tesla might be working on a siding solar panel for the equivalent of hardie board? For anywhere north of the 40th paralell which runs right through the united states installing siding panels at an angel with the side of the house could be more efficient than installing it on a roof.
So that would be around 30 percent off vertical for optimal winter angle?

This might be feasible but why would you spend capx on an edge condition? North of the 40th is not the optimal customer base for initial deployment anyway.

Even at 50 degrees north latitude the optimal angle is 41 degrees, not 90

Latitude

Full year angle Avg. insolation on panel % of optimum
 0° (Quito)  0.0 6.5 72%
 5° (Bogotá)  4.4 6.5 72%
10° (Caracas)  8.7 6.5 72%
15° (Dakar) 13.1 6.4 72%
20° (Mérida) 17.4 6.3 72%
25° (Key West, Taipei) 22.1 6.2 72%
30° (Houston, Cairo) 25.9 6.1 71%
35° (Albuquerque, Tokyo) 29.7 6.0 71%
40° (Denver, Madrid) 33.5 5.7 71%
45° (Minneapolis, Milano) 37.3 5.4 71%
50° (Winnipeg, Prague) 41.1 5.1 70%
Optimum Tilt of Solar Panels

Thanks. I may be wrong. But energy bills are way higher in the winter up here. So the ideal angle in my mind would be based off of winter months (if you want to go electrical heating).
Optimal-tilt-angle-for-solar-panels-each-month-depending-on-latitude.jpg

So according to this. For me in Ann Arbor Michigan ideal angle would be 70ish no?

Last edited:
New York buying 80 Chevy Bolts, with help from Obama

Cost for each: $32,997

New York is a CARB state, so presumably GM collects the same credits as if they sold these in CA.

"The city is paying General Motors $32,997 per vehicle, but will get a federal rebate of $8,287 per car, making its actual cost $24,710, according to an Administrative Services spokeswoman. That's comparable to the $23,067 it pays for a Prius through a contract with Toyota. The city says the Bolt will cost less to operate and maintain than a Prius does."

Maybe hire a new tax consultant? "26 USC 115 specifically excludes from taxable income all income of states or municipalities, as well as income of public utilities. This operates as an exemption from tax for state and municipal governments." {the reference to public utilities is imprecise--I think it refers to utilities operated as subdivisions of exempt entities, like Austin Power or City Public Service in San Antonio, LA Water & Power, etc.}

Last edited:
Thanks. I may be wrong. But energy bills are way higher in the winter up here. So the ideal angle in my mind would be based off of winter months (if you want to go electrical heating).
Optimal-tilt-angle-for-solar-panels-each-month-depending-on-latitude.jpg

So according to this. For me in Ann Arbor Michigan ideal angle would be 70ish no?

Depends on what your electrical use is I would guess? With an ev yearly month to month energy percent Chang should be less I would assume? At what point does it make sense to use electric heating? Owning your own production changes the economics for water and air heating.

In 2014 acclaimed hedge fund manager Mark Spiegel opined on how unbelievable it would be for Tesla to achieve a 56% compounding automobile manufacturing growth rate. Assuming over 77,000 deliveries in 2016 Tesla has since grown at that exact pace!

"No complex product manufacturer has ever grown that quickly from a revenue base of $3 billion or more[!!]"
- Mark B. Spiegel

He further gushes:

"To put this number in perspective, Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT)-- a software company and thus a business with no issues in scaling production (although physical distribution and customer service were certainly issues, as they are with Tesla)-- first broke $3 billion in sales in fiscal year 1993, generating $3.7 billion in revenue. (I'm using the $3 billion revenue base because that's analogous to where Tesla is now.) Six years later Microsoft did $19.7 billion in revenue, which was a CAGR of 32.1%."

Can anyone confirm Mark's claim that Tesla is now the fastest growing complex product manufacturer ever, or is he referring specifically to a six year growth period (ie. they have to maintain this to 2020)?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/250...-tesla-to-sell-500000-cars-in-2020-are-absurd

It's not unheard of to cover walls with solar here. You can also catch the reflected light off the snow-covered ground. But we're really too far north for solar to make any kind of sense.
this has been presented before, but, this 800sqft (74 sq meters) house has 5 of 6 sides covered with PV for 150% of elec needs (2009)
photo_09_germany_gallery_1place.jpg

DOE Solar Decathlon: 2009 Final Results

Reactions: KLC13
In 2014 acclaimed hedge fund manager Mark Spiegel opined on how unbelievable it would be for Tesla to achieve a 56% compounding automobile manufacturing growth rate. Assuming over 77,000 deliveries in 2016 Tesla has since grown at that exact pace!

"No complex product manufacturer has ever grown that quickly from a revenue base of $3 billion or more[!!]"
- Mark B. Spiegel

He further gushes:

"To put this number in perspective, Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT)-- a software company and thus a business with no issues in scaling production (although physical distribution and customer service were certainly issues, as they are with Tesla)-- first broke $3 billion in sales in fiscal year 1993, generating $3.7 billion in revenue. (I'm using the $3 billion revenue base because that's analogous to where Tesla is now.) Six years later Microsoft did $19.7 billion in revenue, which was a CAGR of 32.1%."

Can anyone confirm Mark's claim that Tesla is now the fastest growing complex product manufacturer ever, or is he referring specifically to a six year growth period (ie. they have to maintain this to 2020)?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/250...-tesla-to-sell-500000-cars-in-2020-are-absurd

Even if he has said it I'm sure BYD grew faster than Tesla has. A lot of Chinese companies grew absurdly fast.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Depends on what your electrical use is I would guess? With an ev yearly month to month energy percent Chang should be less I would assume? At what point does it make sense to use electric heating? Owning your own production changes the economics for water and air heating.

The powerwall doesn't store near enough energy to charge an EV in any significant way. Assuming you'll be charging at night your gonna want either a powerpack at home or utility anyway no?

Status
Not open for further replies.