Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I called the local store (Corte Madera, CA) and asked the easiest/quickest way to pay and exactly what information they need. He said they need a name and credit card. I asked if a check would be better, he said no, the cc is faster (just need to swipe it). He said a check would take longer and a check would not be credited until later that night.

After reading that someone called many of the bay area stores and was told that 30% expect people camping out I decided to contact some news outlets.

When I do that I'd like to know about how many M3's Tesla plans to build in 2018-22019 and about how many barrels a day that would displace (per 1k cars might be best)?

I'd also appreciate help (please contact some news outlets in your area!).

When I do that I'd like to know about how many M3's Tesla plans to build in 2018-22019 and about how many barrels a day that would displace (per 1k cars might be best)?

Just a tip - the environmental / oil displacement story can be divisive and there are lot of nasty people paid lots of money to rebut stories like that. The story of consumer enthusiasm for high tech 21st Century cars will gain more traction and displace many more barrels.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but the latest iPhone is set to launch on March 31st in Apple stores (online pre-orders started today though). Coincidence?

Any thoughts on the impact to the Model 3 launch? Are there lots of Tesla stores in malls near Apple stores? Imagine the headlines if there are longer lines to make a Model 3 deposit (on an unseen product) than to get the newest iPhone!

I called the local store (Corte Madera, CA) and asked the easiest/quickest way to pay and exactly what information they need. He said they need a name and credit card. I asked if a check would be better, he said no, the cc is faster (just need to swipe it). He said a check would take longer and a check would not be credited until later that night.

After reading that someone called many of the bay area stores and was told that 30% expect people camping out I decided to contact some news outlets.

I'd also appreciate help (please contact some news outlets in your area!).
I can answer part of that. Suppose the Model 3 is comparable to other vehicles driven 41 miles per day (15,000 per year ) getting 25 mpg. The 1000 Model 3 are driven 41,000 miles per day and displacing 1640 gallons per day (= 41,000/25) or 39 barrels per day (= 1640/42).

It can also be useful to consider the displacement per car over over say a 12 year or 180k mile life. This is a displacement of 7200 gallons or 171 barrels per 12 years of vehicle use.

If those bearish on Tesla are listening to this person, I'm more confident than I was before today that Tesla's stock is going to go a lot higher. There is too much false or outdated information to list. This event took place on March 5th 2016.

His argument is basically that Elon is a liar and only a drunk idiot would believe anything Elon says or Tesla reports. o_O Did people really pay money to see this person speak?

The Best $TSLA Short Thesis You've Ever Seen, by @WorldofMining

It looks like this video is from the oil and gas subscriber investment summit lol

Subscriber Investment Summit

I think I'll start a "think tank" and sell hedge funds information on Tesla as well. It appears all I need to do is copy/paste from the latest seeking alpha comments section. Embarrassing.

I can answer part of that. Suppose the Model 3 is comparable to other vehicles driven 41 miles per day (15,000 per year ) getting 25 mpg. The 1000 Model 3 are driven 41,000 miles per day and displacing 1640 gallons per day (= 41,000/25) or 39 barrels per day (= 1640/42).

It can also be useful to consider the displacement per car over over say a 12 year or 180k mile life. This is a displacement of 7200 gallons or 171 barrels per 12 years of vehicle use.

Just as an illustration - (don't want to get into it) - All true if the 25mpg assumption holds true but what if 30% of the reservations displace a Prius purchase (probably not far from the truth) and what if nothing is displaced, the ICE cars get built anyway and simply suffer margin pressure to shift them at a discount.

Model X production line seems to be going smoothly now, I was just told by my DE that my Model X is entering the paint shop today or tomorrow and that delivery will likely be next Tue or Wed. From paint shop to assembly to final inspectin to delivery in about five days-- that seems very fast!

Your VIN is X6117? Does that mean when your vehicle is delivered, they will have delivered over 6k model X's?

Just as an illustration - (don't want to get into it) - All true if the 25mpg assumption holds true but what if 30% of the reservations displace a Prius purchase (probably not far from the truth) and what if nothing is displaced, the ICE cars get built anyway and simply suffer margin pressure to shift them at a discount.
It's just a reference point. One can anchor this on CAFE standards for example. Also it really does not depend on how many ICE cars are built. What matters are the miles and mpg displaced. So a couple that has Model 3 and cheap ICE car might well put 20k per year on the Model 3, but only 10k on the ICE. In so doing, the Tesla is displacing more than one average car. As another example, a Tesla used as a car for hire 45k miles per year is displacing three average cars. So the critical issue for assessing impact on oil demand is really the number of miles driven. The more compelling a Tesla is, the more it will be driven. So things like autopilot, Superchargers and operating cost per mile really matter to maximize utilization.

So we can definitely make this all complicated, but for me the point of these kinds of estimates is appreciate the scale needed to make a significant impact. So we need about 25 million EVs to displace 1 mbpd of oil demand. We will not be getting to that scale until about 2022, but when it comes the oil market will begin to shift quite rapidly.

So we need these kinds if estimates as rough as they may be to tell us when we achieve significant scale. When you've displaced 25 million ICE vehicles, that's going to be a fairly broad cross section of vehicles. So the law of large numbers says averages prevail. But even so, it does matter how well utilized the EVs are and what kinds of cars they are competing against. So long as Tesla is focused on high performance and long range vehicles, it will score high on both counts. Unfortunately compliance cars are calibrated to do just the oppose, and so have minimal impact on displacing oil and reducing emissions. So these things do matter, but they are second order effects. The batteries in the Model 3 should be good for 180k miles or more and through a series of owners those miles will be consumed before the battery is recycled, and those electric miles will displace ICE miles.

Incidentally, I've done some financial modeling to determine that batteries will be upgraded in about 12 or 13 years, even if they have a much longer life than that. But that is a topic for another post in another thread.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchJi
Your VIN is X6117? Does that mean when your vehicle is delivered, they will have delivered over 6k model X's?

Early on during the Model S ramp it became clear that Tesla figured out that we here on TMC (perhaps others as well but it's my belief that the most comprehensive data and best analysis was here) could estimate production and deliveries through VIN tracking. So they started mixing things up in their method of VIN assignment so that no fine grained analysis is possible from it anymore.

Reactions: Tenable
Early on during the Model S ramp it became clear that Tesla figured out that we here on TMC (perhaps others as well but it's my belief that the most comprehensive data and best analysis was here) could estimate production and deliveries through VIN tracking. So they started mixing things up in their method of VIN assignment so that no fine grained analysis is possible from it anymore.

Ah boo! I was hoping :) Thanks Johan.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but the latest iPhone is set to launch on March 31st in Apple stores (online pre-orders started today though). Coincidence?

Any thoughts on the impact to the Model 3 launch? Are there lots of Tesla stores in malls near Apple stores? Imagine the headlines if there are longer lines to make a Model 3 deposit (on an unseen product) than to get the newest iPhone!

In the Palo Alto Stanford Mall the two stores are practically located next to each other.

Last edited:
I think I'll start a "think tank" and sell hedge funds information on Tesla as well. It appears all I need to do is copy/paste from the latest seeking alpha comments section. Embarrassing.
All the money those shills on SA must be paid for their tens of thousands of comments attacking everything Tesla does and you'd think they could come up with something that wasn't just plain stupid and frequently just plain hypocritical. At least something better that a shill LLC could copy/paste.

Last edited:
Ok, maybe a little zany. But, that is my hope of how they handle it. After all, we are all but sure the 100 is coming. They have 2 choices: Announce it is coming soon and really annoy all the top-end buyers who got the 90, or do a secret pre-ship thing like they did with the A/P. I am biased and hope they did the way nicer option 2.

If we assume that WK's hacking forced their hand then we are assuming they are going to announce the 100 earlier than they intended. Since they didn't know ahead of time that WK was going to hack them how would they know to secretly produce 100's but label them as 90's? And why not, (if they had 100's available), simply announce the 100 at that time instead of the 90, especially in the X which could use the extra range? As for annoying 90 buyers, we've already heard rumors of price increases coming, which if true means annoyance should be minimal, i.e. they got what they paid for. Tesla is always innovating, so as Elon says the best time to buy a Tesla is now, or you'll never buy one. The other option not discussed is they are not going to be announcing a 100 any time soon. I find that more probable than the secret 100's labeled as 90's theory.

Reactions: MitchJi
Nice easter egg from Motor Trend:
Tesla Model X P90D is the Quickest SUV We’ve Ever Tested
Well done Tesla Motors Team!

From the positive crash test results of Gen II skateboard design tested as part of Model S and the in house crash tests already done for Model X I could imagine we soon get a headline like this:
Tesla Model X P90D is the Safest SUV We’ve Ever Tested

From Audi yet an other easter egg:
Audi’s EV Chief: “I hate to admit it, but Tesla did everything right”

Yea, it is very hard NOT to admit this when Tesla sucked air out of the Oberklasse market segment in it's most mature market - US, taking 25% share of it. Europe is next.

I am glad they start to see the writing on the wall: nobody from these 25% will even consider Audi, BMW, or MB unless they can come up with a compelling EV, backed up by the proper long distance charging infrastructure. These companies are walking dead unless they can produce compelling EV, and they do not have luxury of ample time to do this. The simple fundamental truth of this seem to start sinking in...

Let's not forget that one barrel of crude oil yields only 31 gallons of fuel (diesel and gasoline). Therefore number of barrels (of crude oil) displaced would be higher - 232 per 12 years of vehicle use (7200/31).

• Informative
Reactions: DrJohnM and madodel
Status
Not open for further replies.