Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. CNBC also reported that they referred to hubris. Perhaps this is a way to somewhat fall on their sword while simultaneously blaming suppliers? Maybe it is a new era at Tesla where they are starting to own up to execution missteps like a maturing company should.

Fault is often not 100% this party or that party. Suppliers could easily have messed up, or Tesla could have failed to see that some suppliers were not up to speed on production.

Yes. CNBC also reported that they referred to hubris. Perhaps this is a way to somewhat fall on their sword while simultaneously blaming suppliers? Maybe it is a new era at Tesla where they are starting to own up to execution missteps like a maturing company should.

I read that is that they are blaming themselves for not doing enough due diligence on the suppliers.

Not totally unexpected looking at the European and InsideEVs estimate (which was off quite a bit on Model X).
These excuses are unbelievable. End of Q4: exponential MX ramp. Feb 10 th ER, no mention of supplier parts. Now, the supplier issue emerges from nowhere. I highly doubt the excuse. MX quality issues was the likely culprit.
I agree with the MX quality issues. Even if they were caused by some suppliers, still quality issues.

750/week Model X average/week by end of Q1 is even higher than the projected average for Q2 at time of last earnings (which was I think around 700). I don't know if this will offset the delivery bad news, but it is a very substantial piece of good news.
I just looked back for the exact quote, referring to expected Model X production in Q2:
"I don't know what the average is going to be exactly – but maybe 700 vehicles or 800 vehicles, something like that"

It is very good news to already be at this level: given that peak Q2 X production is supposed to be around 1000/week, the average will probably be higher than forecast.

Apparently, Benzinga can't do basic math in their headlines. 16,000 minus 14,820 is NOT 2,000, it's 1,180. That's a math error of 70% !!! Makes the news seem worse than it really is.

Tesla Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) - Tesla's Own 'Hubris' Leads To 2,000 Shortfall In Q1 Deliveries

Yeah, when I saw that, I was like, wtf, who ever typed up the editorial wanted to be more damaging than it truly is. Also shows they cannot do math correctly or estimate correctly.

Another thing to consider - was Tesla unable to deliver cars on 3/31 due to the 3 reservation rollout? I'm assuming this is one of the biggest delivery days during the quarter and could represent a non-trivial number of delayed, completed deliveries for Q1.

Another thing to consider - was Tesla unable to deliver cars on 3/31 due to the 3 reservation rollout? I'm assuming this is one of the biggest delivery days during the quarter and could represent a non-trivial number of delayed, completed deliveries for Q1.
As I recall, service centers were not affected by the reservation and they are the ones who should be doing the deliveries. Even if the owner waited in line for 3 hours, it shouldn't impact delivery that much. I think the press release explained the situation quite well, slow ramp of X is the main factor.

hoping for a market overreaction and in order to buy some more.

In my opinion Tesla continues to significantly de-risk the execution of the Secret Master Plan and made significant progress over last 6 months - Model S sales/ upgrages, Model X launch, GF ramp, Tesla Energy deliveries, continued lack of competition and Model 3 of course. Biggest remaining obstacle is getting to cash flow positive.

We still could be in for some lumps with the Q1 financials based on this miss and overall cash burn. However the Model 3 order base has provided ~$300m in funding as well as really shown large investors (for future equity or debt offering) that the company has very, very productive uses of cash.

If we see $220 I'm buying more, otherwise I'm waiting for Q1 financials. I already have a large position.

So some of us got it more right than others today with the trading part of our portfolios (@ibcs, @austinEV comes to mind). For me I've learnt that when I try to make up stories to fit my mood about the stock I'm usually wrong. Logic tells us there would be a miss. It's black on white in the X forums, is it not? In retrospect easy to say maybe? Hindsight 20/20.

I'm going out on a limb here to say that I won't get back in with trading cash unless we go below $230 tomorrow. I'll be happy to miss out if that's the case but like I said earlier (I don't know if this is an actual English term): the TSLA bow is tightly strung at the moment and that goes both ways.

I am not attempting to time day to day or even week to week movements (except for small gambles). I am positioned to take advantage of the whole year. I am not troubled at all if we go down a bit tomorrow.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
I exited my entire TSLA stock position (220 shares) at 242 afterhours. I am hoping to get back in tomorrow as I foresee some rejuvenated shorting action kick in and a lot of negative articles about how Tesla missed and how the heck can it meet M3 numbers which are orders of magnitudes higher. Regardless there is a good amount of positives in the report today!

Not totally unexpected looking at the European and InsideEVs estimate (which was off quite a bit on Model X).
These excuses are unbelievable. End of Q4: exponential MX ramp. Feb 10 th ER, no mention of supplier parts. Now, the supplier issue emerges from nowhere. I highly doubt the excuse. MX quality issues was the likely culprit.
In Q4 delivery numbers, Tesla said they produced 250+ MX in the last week. That was supposed to be a signal that issues are under control. Well, it's difficult to take them by the words as there is always something related to suppliers.

I think the stock goes down in low 230s or high 220s and recovers if MS upgrade is announced. If not, stock stays in limbo.

Why unbelievable? I can see why you would "doubt". But if they are now (as of end March) churning out X at 750/week, I can see at the end of December them predicting exponential ramp, and thinking by mid-Feb "yeah, we've almost got the supplier problems licked, should be at 750 by beginning of March" -- therefore thinking they'd hit or slightly exceed guidance. Then a two-week delay suddenly rears its head for whatever reason(s)... and they're 1,200 off. Oh what a difference two weeks makes. It's believable to me, especially when the ramp took place so close to quarter end and a whole bunch of produced cars couldn't be counted as delivered.

Reactions: McMuggets
I exited my entire TSLA stock position (220 shares) at 242 afterhours. I am hoping to get back in tomorrow as I foresee some rejuvenated shorting action kick in and a lot of negative articles about how Tesla missed and how the heck can it meet M3 numbers which are orders of magnitudes higher. Regardless there is a good amount of positives in the report today!

Wow, talk about picking up pennies in front of the steam roller. Good luck though :)

Reasons to buy now:
* With after hours trading at 241 to 242, you can buy at a nice discount from earlier today and best of all you don't have the negative news of a possible Q1 delivery shortcoming hanging over your head
* Tomorrow Elon is likely to announce that M3 deposits have exceeded 300,000
* Info about the slow Model X ramp tells us a parts shortage was the reason, rather than difficulties in manufacturing the vehicle. This is a big derisking piece on info, when coupled with Model X run rate of 750/week
* Shorts will have difficulty getting any fear stirred up about TSLA stock value. The future looks too bright

Reasons not to buy now:
* Shorts may try a bear attack on opening tomorrow and you might save a few dollars on TSLA shares. Then again, this may not happen.
Interesting. Thank you for your insight. I could always go half in and make a decision at open tomorrow whether to wait for the remaining half.

Why unbelievable? I can see why you would "doubt". But if they are now (as of end March) churning out X at 750/week, I can see at the end of December them predicting exponential ramp, and thinking by mid-Feb "yeah, we've almost got the supplier problems licked, should be at 750 by beginning of March" -- therefore thinking they'd hit or slightly exceed guidance. Then a two-week delay suddenly rears its head for whatever reason(s)... and they're 1,200 off. Oh what a difference two weeks makes. It's believable to me, especially when the ramp took place so close to quarter end and a whole bunch of produced cars couldn't be counted as delivered.
But the bigger concern is that we are now 6 months into the Model X launch and they are still dealing with these issues. This will not instill confidence in the 3 ramp up and provides needless ammo for the bears and doubters in the Tesla story.

• Helpful
Reactions: mmd
Status
Not open for further replies.