Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats correct, I was referring to the potential of the Model 3. I assume with a higher volume vehicle they will import it whole (or build it in Europe, but they are some time away from that)

Doubt it, right now the components are (as I understand): car, drive units, battery. That assembly takes closs to no time. The same will be with Model 3 unless the trans atlantic trade treaty passes which should eliminate such tariffs altogether.

Well todays brexit will have for sure a huge impact on TSLA income statement. All the UK cars that have already been ordered and that are ordered now before Tesla hikes the price will have to be delivered at old prices meaning TSLA will take a 10% hit on UK cars and a smaller one on all EU cars. Not sure how huge a hedge they have aganst such forex slides... And it's right now time for first X deliveries with UK ones coming even later. Not sure if the uk cars have already had the confirmation possible, if yes then it could impact for quite some time still...

Well todays brexit will have for sure a huge impact on TSLA income statement. All the UK cars that have already been ordered and that are ordered now before Tesla hikes the price will have to be delivered at old prices meaning TSLA will take a 10% hit on UK cars and a smaller one on all EU cars. Not sure how huge a hedge they have aganst such forex slides... And it's right now time for first X deliveries with UK ones coming even later. Not sure if the uk cars have already had the confirmation possible, if yes then it could impact for quite some time still...
Depends on how long the currency stays where it is. There is probably flexibility across the Tesla offices to not pay for a shipment today. And often car makers have currency hedges in place as well which could help ride out short term fluctuations.

But if a depressed currency remains there will be costs to be borne and/or price rises.

Reactions: STARR X
This is only true if you are using margin.

If you have a "fully paid" or "cash" account, the brokerage is prohibited from lending out stocks in that account without asking your permission (and paying you interest). There are SEC regulations about this.

I believe that even if the account is designated as a margin account, if you are not using any margin at all, it's treated as a cash account.

If you have any margin loan or margin usage in the account, *all* the stocks become fair game for the brokerage to lend out, unless you make specific instructions.

This is good to know. I have a margin account, and have both core shares and options specifically in TSLA. I did get a phone call last fall from my brokerage asking if I wanted to participate in share lending (interest would be paid, and all sorts of other chatter about how it would be backed). It was explained to me to set maximum limit positions at that time, otherwise they may be used with or without my consent. I had several options trades in at the time -- so perhaps that's the confusion. I could have sworn they were referring to actual cash shares, and not margin though.

No. Both GBP and EUR are still trading in the same range as 6 months ago.

The pound is down about 20% from a year ago. Hope Tesla is hedged.
No need for hedges:
1) tesla adopts their prices. The euro dropped 30% over the last 2 years, and Tesla adapted their prices frequently.
2) Not all Tesla's cost are in dollar. Wages and service center costs are in euro in europe/gbp in the uk. Some of the parts for the car also come from europe.

I know this is the ST thread, but remember that this will probably have long lasting effects on the value of GBP, which will get battered again when Scotland votes for independence, and EUR.
This could be a real problem for European sales.

Tesla will accelerate their plans to build a factory in Europe. They'll have enough Model 3's to sell to other countries in the meantime. There's always huge angst when something like this happens. More times than not it turns out to be not that big a deal. People are emotional creatures who often fear what they don't know (ie the future).

Tesla Motors, Inc.'s Offer to Buy SolarCity: Everything You Need to Know -- The Motley Fool

"Subject to completing due diligence, we propose an exchange ratio of 0.122x to 0.131x shares of Tesla common stock for each share of SolarCity common stock," Tesla's board of directors said in its proposal to purchase SolarCity. At the time of the offer, this valued SolarCity shares at between $26.50 to $28.50, or a premium of about 21% to 30% of SolarCity's stock price before the offer was made. Measured by market capitalization, this offer valued SolarCity at around $2.7 billion. Of course, the value could change depending on where the stocks are trading at the time of closing.
Does that imply that the terms of the offer might change?

Status
Not open for further replies.