Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cramer said it's going higher. In other words, we're screwed...

He's a contrarian indicator...

You may have a point. IMHO our current situation is that TSLA is held mostly by strong longs, just waiting out the inevitable rise in SP and Tesla's growth, hence the SP resilience.

With Cramer's "blessing" all the Cramer Fanboi's might start piling into TSLA which will be nice b/c it will raise the SP, but short term. However the next hiccup that occurs they will dump on out and drop the SP, etc... i.e--his blessing will encourage the weak longs to come back in, for better or worse.

Reactions: SunCatcher
Is this the video of China AP accident? (Can't access the original link without weibo login)

Is that your YouTube account? Amazing how you managed to be among the first 10 people to find the video.
Note: The video had ~10 views when your posted it. Also, the YouTube channel only has 2 videos. The second video is a (promotional video?) for a Volkswagen with the song "Joy To the World" playing in the background. :rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: srini
I'm not blaming autopilot for anything, but I guess you could design it so, that when ultrasound sensors see aproaching obstacle they would try to take evasive corrective action. Of course that requires, that there is enough space on the other side.

From video there seems to be enough space on the right side. So I think it should be possible within the limitations of the current hardware to see aproaching obstacle on the left side with ultrasound and take a small correction to the right.

So I see here possibility for improvement.

From my own experience I know that in winter ultrasound sensors give often false alarms if there is ice over them. But I'm pretty sure the signature is different (it usually gives suden imminent obstacle red beeb) from approaching object.

Actually there is collision avoidance in current AP implemention. Joshua Brown's video showed it in action.

Last edited:
I'm not blaming autopilot for anything, but I guess you could design it so, that when ultrasound sensors see aproaching obstacle they would try to take evasive corrective action. Of course that requires, that there is enough space on the other side.

From video there seems to be enough space on the right side. So I think it should be possible within the limitations of the current hardware to see aproaching obstacle on the left side with ultrasound and take a small correction to the right
The ultrasonic sensors don't have sufficient range to really make much difference. If an object is stationary and a car is moving at 65 mph, that's a difference of 29 meters per second. Given the ~5 meter range of the ultrasonic sensors, that means the distance is covered in ~172 ms. Even if the autopilot decides to do evasive actions in a mere 50 ms, there's not a whole lot you can actually do with 122 ms. Even if you turn the wheels ASAP, you probably don't have enough traction to turn the car very much. It takes a little bit of time to change direction for a 2.2 ton mass.

Also, the ultrasonic sensors aren't sufficient to do an autonomous lane change. If this was on the autobahn, a car could have come up from behind at 150 mph, and if the autopilot turned in front of this car, that could have caused a deadly accident, for which the autopilot would be to blame.

The ultrasonic sensors don't have sufficient range to really make much difference. If an object is stationary and a car is moving at 65 mph, that's a difference of 29 meters per second. Given the ~5 meter range of the ultrasonic sensors, that means the distance is covered in ~172 ms. Even if the autopilot decides to do evasive actions in a mere 50 ms, there's not a whole lot you can actually do with 122 ms. Even if you turn the wheels ASAP, you probably don't have enough traction to turn the car very much. It takes a little bit of time to change direction for a 2.2 ton mass.

Also, the ultrasonic sensors aren't sufficient to do an autonomous lane change. If this was on the autobahn, a car could have come up from behind at 150 mph, and if the autopilot turned in front of this car, that could have caused a deadly accident, for which the autopilot would be to blame.

You are right. There is not enough time.

Come on now! That's Teslaccouting 101, known only to the very faithful!! Capex leads to losses, and losses are reinvested for growth!! Only in Teslaland.
Yeah, the $2B for GIGA factory CAPEX did find its way into OPEX. So, yay!! Who cares? To the moon!! Nothing matters!!

Surely you mean Mars?

But anyway, totally agree with you - current profitability is irrelevant. Sales numbers I deem relatively important - more Teslas on the road = increased awareness and the realisation to the public-at-large that electric really is a viable option.

But all that matters to me, being long, is that Tesla get to the end of next year and start spitting-out M3's, once this happens, it's game-over. Can't wait!

Counting seconds till someone says AP was not active :rolleyes:

I was counting time until somebody posts pertinent portion of the Manual.
One would think that information there can be relevant to frame the discussion...

Snap1.png

Hands on the wheel and focused on traffic this would have been a non-issue for the driver.
What the hell did the driver do during his time in the car?

This reminds me of the driver smashing a Model S through a concrete wall some years ago in Mexico. People do a lot of crazy things with their cars.

This is a non-issue for short term SP movement today.

Status
Not open for further replies.