Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'll bite. I see the supposed* advantage for Solar City ("free/low" cost storefronts), but what's in it for the car side of the transaction?

National retailers, regional malls and corporate office parks get reduced cost (lower margin) solar+battery systems in exchange for permitting superchargers within their parking lots...resulting in significant and cost-effective proliferation of superchargers at auto-centric destinations as M3 sales rise. Eclipsing the more obvious benefit of synergistic solar+battery to new M3 owners for home charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Intl Professor
Ok, I'll bite. I see the supposed* advantage for Solar City ("free/low" cost storefronts), but what's in it for the car side of the transaction?

Full disclosure, *I see no synergy whatsoever, and recently sold my TLSA at a loss. Still patiently awaiting my M3 number to come up, however.
Benefit for Tesla side (which has both cars and energy storage):
1. Solar panel buyers will hear about Tesla cars and energy storage in details, free advertisement for Tesla products.
2. Currently selling Tesla's energy storage is tricky. Tesla has to bid against other suppliers, negotiate details with Solar installers. It will become straight forward in the future. No bidding, simpler for Tesla's energy unit.
3. If something goes wrong with the system, is it the panels or battery storage? Going forward, just one contact person. Simplified for both sides, which means overall less work for Tesla.
4. When there are two companies integrating one system, how to decided the protocols? Especially if they want to integrate micro inverter with panels? There is no such problem within one company.
5. Solar-inverter-battery-charger-EV is really one system. Now Tesla can push hard to have one perfect system.
6. Tesla itself will need huge amount of Solar panels for Gigafactory1 and SuperChargers. Now they can produce and install their own high efficiency panels, it will reduce cost.
7. SolarCity will be cash flow positive within 2 quarters. Long term it will bring large profit for Tesla.
8. The biggest benefit for Tesla, the whole master plan would be incomplete without solar. Now it's one stop shopping, one contact, one service, which will create a better user experience, it's durable competitive advantage.

Last edited:

ok... newbie here ...managed to put my comment into a quote from another poster...sorry about that ...will try to edit.

ok... newbie here ...managed to put my comment into a quote from another poster...sorry about that ...will try to edit.

I accidentally added my comment below to Big Dogs quote when trying to reply
National retailers, regional malls and corporate office parks get reduced cost (lower margin) solar+battery systems in exchange for permitting superchargers within their parking lots...resulting in significant and cost-effective proliferation of superchargers at auto-centric destinations as M3 sales rise. Eclipsing the more obvious benefit of synergistic solar+battery to new M3 owners for home charging.

Questions to all the new posters. Have you been following for a while or just recently? Also was the Model Ξ the catalyst for joining in at TMC?

And of course as @MitchJi said, welcome to the forum and thanks for your comments. I have little to add to Short Term, but find it the most fascinating thread on TMC.

Questions to all the new posters. Have you been following for a while or just recently? Also was the Model Ξ the catalyst for joining in at TMC?

And of course as @MitchJi said, welcome to the forum and thanks for your comments. I have little to add to Short Term, but find it the most fascinating thread on TMC.
I've been following for years...bought my first shares at $29 and have been slowly adding. My wife has an M3 reservtion.

Joined TMC after reserving my M3. And started investing in Tesla shortly afterwards. Been listening to their quarterly financial calls for around a year though.

Been following/investing/trading TSLA forever but never got into this fantastic forum. Read and watched pretty much everything TSLA & EM. Wish I started to read here years ago!!!
Thanks to DaveT as he mentioned this forum in the Andrea James interview.

i am also 110% in TSLA that is 100% of my portfolio is in TSLA plus i have 10% on margin
plus i got J18 bunch of calls
if this sucker goes down with the market, i will simply not look at my accounts and ride it out unless something fundamental changes.
over the years i gave left literally millions of dollars on the table by not holding stocks when the going gets tough. my 18 years of experience in the markets has taught me not to give up on a growth company when it is down and out because the potential upside that i have missed when the stock finally turns around is simply mind boggling
i bought CMG at $32 and sold at $135 only to watch it go up to $700 in less than 10 years
i left $7 million profit in BIDU on the table by selling it too soon instead of waiting an extra 3 years or so
i bought $FB at $32 sold it at $55, bought it again at $88 sold it at $ 117, in retrospect i should have simply left it alone
i am determined not to make the same mistake with TSLA. i will give it several more years before i sell unless something drastic occurs
We are like in the same boat but just even less gains for me. So it could be even worse

Reactions: TrendTrader007
if this sucker goes down with the market, i will simply not look at my accounts and ride it out unless something fundamental changes.
over the years i gave left literally millions of dollars on the table by not holding stocks when the going gets tough. my 18 years of experience in the markets has taught me not to give up on a growth company when it is down and out because the potential upside that i have missed when the stock finally turns around is simply mind boggling

NOTHING MORE NEEDS TO BE SAID. MY EXACT SENTIMENT. CHEERS!!

Benefit for Tesla side (which has both cars and energy storage):
1. Solar panel buyers will hear about Tesla cars and energy storage in details, free advertisement for Tesla products.
2. Currently selling Tesla's energy storage is tricky. Tesla has to bid against other suppliers, negotiate details with Solar installers. It will become straight forward in the future. No bidding, simpler for Tesla's energy unit.

I don't understand when narrative changed so much, so that retail storage became important? It was supposed to be about utility level storage.

I know utilities move slow, but drop cost of pesky retail sales, get world class VP Sales Of TE that can sell ice to Eskimos, and don't complicate things. Who cares where storage and solar is, point is to get to sustainable energy, right? Scalability of implementation, locale and sales costs is on utility side...

Oh and Zhelko, thanks so much for extending me that courtesy of maturity for an entire week. Very big of you.

For someone dishing out 'Dislikes' quite liberally, you're very touchy feely on Dislikes you receive.
I Dislike not-on-the-subject discussions that waste other people's time(including _this_ answer), but you called me publicly couple of times, hence this public answer.

I don't understand when narrative changed so much, so that retail storage became important? It was supposed to be about utility level storage.

I know utilities move slow, but drop cost of pesky retail sales, get world class VP Sales Of TE that can sell ice to Eskimos, and don't complicate things. Who cares where storage and solar is, point is to get to sustainable energy, right? Scalability of implementation, locale and sales costs is on utility side...

Solarcity does residential and commercial solar and If you listened to TSLA+SCTY combine call, the drop in customer acquisition cost is not trivial and there are other benefits I will leave to you to find out. Solar farm can take up significant pieces of lands and there will be transmission cost added to the power generated. As we slowly transition to EVs, the demand for electricity will increase significantly and not sure our grid can handle that.

Reactions: neroden
I'm seeing quite a few articles today saying Apple's car program is again being rebooted, and that making cars is proving a lot more difficult than they originally thought. This makes a Tesla aquisition very desireable, and Elon may not want to sell but he only owns a quarter of the shares so at the right price, say $300, it could be possible either way.

It would make sense for Apple to start secretly buying shares now - they'll be paying a lot less for those shares plus they'll be able to use their votes to help secure the eventual buyout. If Tesla does well enough to not require a buyout or if someone else offers to buy Tesla, they'll make a good profit on any shares purchased now.

I'm seeing quite a few articles today saying Apple's car program is again being rebooted,
Most of the articles either attribute or otherwise mention only the information in the one NYTimes article. It is credible, but I always like more than one source. By the way, on another thread there is a note BMW board, except for one, will miss the upcoming Paris auto show because of a special meeting considering whether they will opt for a serious charge into the electric market. At least one other member here has read it and referenced the meeting's importance.

That on top of an earlier statement months ago from a Porsche executive that "Tesla got everything right" builds even more confidence in Tesla. I hope there is a breakout soon!

For someone dishing out 'Dislikes' quite liberally, you're very touchy feely on Dislikes you receive.
I Dislike not-on-the-subject discussions that waste other people's time(including _this_ answer), but you called me publicly couple of times, hence this public answer.
Zhelko, I guess sometimes people click the "dislike" button only meant to say "disagree", unfortunately there is no "disagree" button.

Status
Not open for further replies.